Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

External speakers for Rodgers 750 E (4-channel)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• External speakers for Rodgers 750 E (4-channel)

We bought a Rodgers 750E as a practice instrument for our son, to be used at home in a room approx 11' x 13' (effectively larger because of wide openings to three adjacent hallways). This instrument has one 32' stop, which if I understand the math, has a fundamental about 17 Hz.</p>

With the instrument we received original amplifiers (Rodgers S-100C) for the four output channels, but no speakers. Apparently, the amps were removed from the speakers somewhere in the past.</p>

We are trying to evaluate our choices for getting speakers:</p>

A. Buy four speakers. Seems like we can find speakers with -3dB at ~30Hz for good sound up to the 16' stop. Organ folks we've spoken with suggest that this will sound better than option B, and somewhere along the line we may pick up a real organ speaker for that 32' stop. Drawbacks of course are that 4 speakers cost more and take more space than 2 speakers, the open frame amps need to be kept somewhere, and at some point the aging amps may require service.
    </p>

B. Use a mixer to go from 4 channels to 2, and get a good amplifier and two speakers. I expect the cost will be comparable, we can get better volume control, and we can still attach one of the Rodgers amps to an organ speaker when we find one - for that low 32' sound. Drawbacks are that we may sacrifice some sound quality (though I don't know that any of us will be able to discern it), and there is more to learn, more to go wrong. I don't even know how low to expect a frequency response to go. Another advantage of this approach is easy to use with headphones.
    </p>

I would be much appreciative of any guidance from folks who've pondered or executed similar projects. Also recommendations for components. So far I'm liking Polk RTi series speakers, not sure what we may be able to pick up used. 15 Hz subwoofers like PB13-Ultra and Fathom 113 may be outside our price range.

</p>

Thank you !
    </p>

mpc855t</p>

Re: External speakers for Rodgers 750 E (4-channel)

You can do the mixing to two channels in the organ. There are mix switches on the output board for that purpose. Rodgers built these organs to work with a variety of different speaker systems. That way, a small church or home could buy it with a few speakers while a larger church or auditorium could add additional speakers.</p>

I would recommend obtaining a service manual. That will explain in detail how to use the mix switches. Once mixed, you only use certain outputs and still hear all channels.</p>

Geoelectro
    </p>

Comment

Re: External speakers for Rodgers 750 E (4-channel)

That's a great tip, thank you! [:)]</p>

Let me look around and see if I can figure out how to obtain the service manual.</p>

mpc855t</p>

Comment

Working...
      X