This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those of you with practice organs

Do you have exceptionally large doorways? Or is it possible to easily dissasemble the common organ console into several pieces? I've been playing a while, just haven't tried to dismantle anything....because I'm toying with the idea of buying a practice instrument, so it'd be good to know how you guys managed to fit it into your house.

-

Post deleted by author

Comment

Re: Those of you with practice organs

OUR entry doors are only 35" so I had to take some things off of the organ to fit it in. Of course, you can always try to put it in sideways (or whateverwyas I'm trying to say). My organ literally sqeaked in and I have the paint marks to prove it. It is a pitty they dont' make the consoules slightly smaller. At least we didnt' have any stairs to contend with..

buzzy

Comment

As CMStrack said, standard entry doors in the US are 36" wide, but often very old houses (75 years +) have non-standard doorways. I have found that most full size, 2 manual electronic organs by major manufacturers will fit through the standard doorway. There are times, however, where the wooden stops and weatherstripping or the mounting for a pneumatic screen door closer get in the way, but those are easily removed and replaced. Interestingly, when the dealer recently delivered my Wurlitzer/Viscount 3-manual organ, it turned out to be narrower than the 2 manual Allen they hauled out. But both fit through the door without any problems. But of course, it is always good to measure first. ;)

Gary
        Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

Comment

When I bought my used three-manual console, I knew it would not fit through the door. My solution (in my 50s ranch-style house) was to remove the large "picture" window and lift it though. It worked like a charm.

One thing I have noticed about new digital organs is that the console dimensions (especially the depth) can be reduced without any problem due to the lack of space required by the electronic parts. That was the case of the hybrid Phoenix organ that took the place of my older MIDIfied console with Musicom equipment in it.

Comment

Yeah, for me the stairs would pose a HUGE problem.....I live in a Bi-level. My only choice would be put it in the living room, and remove the window, haul it in on a winch (hopefully clear the pine tree in front of said window) and put it where the piano is....then figure out where the hell to put that (although we managed to move it unprofessionally from one bilevel to another, so it can't be that bad) but just no room.....gah.

Comment

I installed a new door in the end of my house so that I could get my new organ (3-manual)into the room where I wanted it.
              An added benefit of the new the door has been that my students can now enter the organ room from that door and I don't have to interupt a lesson to go let the next student in and spend time calming the dogs down while they walk through the house back to the organ room.
              My husband likes it too because since the (music/organ) guests/students etc. don't have to go through the house anymore there's more privacy.

Comment

It seems that some of us get hung us in the box so to speak. Anytime that I couldn't get thru the door or around a corner, I've always stood the organ on end on a blanket and slid it in. You might have to use more then one blanket in doorways with a threshold. This will work alot of the time. My dad used to move pianos, that's where I got the idea from.

Comment

Yes, I agree.
                  But unfortunately it doesn't always work.

The room where our organ was to go in was at the end of a hallway and the door to the room was on the side of the hallway at the end.
                  We knew it would be tight so we cut out a piece of cardboard the dimensions of the organ, as it would be on it's end, and tried to see how it would go through the door.
                  But because the hall was too narrow and with the door at the side of the hallway it was impossible. Even by taking the door off the hinges there just wouldn't be enough room to turn the organ to get it through the door.

We thought of everything and we did all this measuring,etc. before we even ordered the organ so we knew that the only way to get an organ in the house, in that room, was to get a new door installed.
                  I didn't want to take a brand new apart just to get in the house.
                  The windows are much too small so we couldn't slip the organ through the window openings (windows removed of course) either.

As it turns out anyway, the new door is great because it gives my husband more privacy because all my guests(musicians)/students don't have to wak through the house.

Comment

I am renting a house for now and when the Baldwin D422 arrived it was deeper than expected i.e. did not go through the main door. We attempted backyard entry after removing a sliding french door but could not navigate around a staircase into the living room. As the delivery man had an end-stage emphysema (he needed pauses to go smoking) and I was really concerned about him, we left the organ behind the kitchen island in the kitchen-family room. It works well ;-) for now.
                    In the custom built new home there will be a music room with a double door :-)

Comment

My Baldwin was too big to go through the 48" (add or take a few) front door, the widest door in the house. Yeah, instead of dismantling it, it's in the garage, set up and playing. That clunker was built so sturdily, at the moment, we couldnt figure out how to take it apart to bring it inside.

When I get some free time on my hands, I'll take it apart and put it back together inside. Until then...

Oh yes, I suggest measuring the organ before actually picking it up! I basically picked it up when I saw it, so, unless you know that the organ will fit, measure it first!

I've been told that Johannus makes some organs (even 3 manual organs) that will fit through the standard doorway... I actually saw one; I was in utter amazement.

Comment

Working...
                      X