Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have an organ at home? What do you think your neighbours think of it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have an organ at home? What do you think your neighbours think of it?

Do you get complaints from your neighbours that it is too loud, or you play too badly? How do you combat the complaints? Do you rehearse very late into the night or first thing in the morning?</p>

I live in a small apartment. When they delivered my baby four years ago, a neighbour who encountered it she was being lifted up the stairwell, said "Hope you aren't going to make much noise". </p>

My hours of practice is between 9am-9pm. Sometimes I practice later with my headphones on.</p>

I tend to use stops sparingly when note bashing. Sometimes I like to let rip and rock the organ but it's not for more than a few minutes.</p>

Once, the neighbour below me played his music (horrid Megadeath rock) very loudly. I joined in with my organ, full. I think I won. He turned off his music first.</p>

I thought of doing a home recital. But I am very nervous with people at the moment and don't want anyone in my flat. I prefer to be on my own.
    </p>

Re: Do you have an organ at home? What do you think your neighbours think of it?

I'm fortunate. I'm in a single home and would need to make a serious effort to disturb the neighbors. And my wife thinks my playing is good(she's almost tonedeaf[:)] ).</P>

In most apartments your neighbors are almost roommates - involuntary roommates. They can hear a lot of what goes on in your apartment. These people have lives that do not mimic your own. Unless you know your neighbors ARE NOT AT HOME then you need to turn it down. There may be laws that says when you can make a little bit more noise, but common courtesy says you should respect your neighbors. If you don't want to hear my Megadeath, don't make me listen to your Organdeath. At any time of day. Think of the "music" that bothers you the most and assume that the way you feel about this music is the same way your neighborsfeel about your music. I don't care how good your playing is and how good your musical tastes are. You can't expect everyone to want to hear you play at any volume.</P>

Your neighbor below you? His speakers are probably relatively small most likelyare not mounted to the ceiling which is your floor. But your noisebox? Your noisebox issittingon your floor which is his ceiling. Hemight be able tohear your organ almost as well as you can.</P>

You practice between 9AM and 9PM. So? As your neighbor, I guess I'm just out of luck if I decide to take a nap during the day, or else sleep in. I guess if I work at night or even go out at night I'm out of luck because my schedule doesn't fit nice and neat into your schedule.</P>

You have expectations that your neighbors respect your life. How about showing them some courtesy about their lives. Those few minutes you decide to let rip and rock the house could be a moment when I am trying to sleep, watch a tv show, have a converstation, complete a thought, or whatever.</P>

As for the recital, just think of it as a party. Neighbors have parties once in a while. I can put up with some extra noise once in a while. But there are reasonable levels of noise. If I'm not at the party I have a right to be able to hear myself think.</P>

Keep the volume down or put the headphones on.</P>
    When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

Re: Do you have an organ at home? What do you think your neighbours think of it?

I have been very lucky. I have great neighbours that tell me they 'enjoy the music'. Even when I had a large three manual drawknob instrument with over 122 speakers, 18 channels, 2,200 watts of power. When this instrument was sold and returned to fulltime church service, every neighbour came to me when the huge truck came to move the instrument ... 'we hope your not moving ... we will miss the music'. The lady next door to me offered to make baked goods for my next 'Church Meeting' ... sometimes choir members stop by for a little party ... I think its all too funny!</P>

I will say that I have always been most respectfull and only play later in the mornings or early evening ... but I have always owned an instrument the entire 18 years in my home ... a center city property</P>

Comment

[quote user="ShadyJoe"]

I'm fortunate. I'm in a single home and would need to make a serious effort to disturb the neighbors. And my wife thinks my playing is good(she's almost tonedeaf[:)] ).</p>

In most apartments your neighbors are almost roommates - involuntary roommates. They can hear a lot of what goes on in your apartment. These people have lives that do not mimic your own. Unless you know your neighbors ARE NOT AT HOME then you need to turn it down. There may be laws that says when you can make a little bit more noise, but common courtesy says you should respect your neighbors. If you don't want to hear my Megadeath, don't make me listen to your Organdeath. At any time of day. Think of the "music" that bothers you the most and assume that the way you feel about this music is the same way your neighborsfeel about your music. I don't care how good your playing is and how good your musical tastes are. You can't expect everyone to want to hear you play at any volume.</p>

Your neighbor below you? His speakers are probably relatively small most likelyare not mounted to the ceiling which is your floor. But your noisebox? Your noisebox issittingon your floor which is his ceiling. Hemight be able tohear your organ almost as well as you can.</p>

You practice between 9AM and 9PM. So? As your neighbor, I guess I'm just out of luck if I decide to take a nap during the day, or else sleep in. I guess if I work at night or even go out at night I'm out of luck because my schedule doesn't fit nice and neat into your schedule.</p>

You have expectations that your neighbors respect your life. How about showing them some courtesy about their lives. Those few minutes you decide to let rip and rock the house could be a moment when I am trying to sleep, watch a tv show, have a converstation, complete a thought, or whatever.</p>

As for the recital, just think of it as a party. Neighbors have parties once in a while. I can put up with some extra noise once in a while. But there are reasonable levels of noise. If I'm not at the party I have a right to be able to hear myself think.</p>

Keep the volume down or put the headphones on.</p>

[/quote]</p>

I really don't need a lecture from you, ShadyJoe. I am considerate to my neighbours. I have a good relationship with them.</p>

I'm glad you are not my neighbour, Joe.
        </p>

Comment

[quote user="Greg"]

a neighbour... said "Hope you aren't going to make much noise". </P>

Once, the neighbour below me played his music (horrid Megadeath rock) very loudly. I joined in with my organ, full. I think I won. He turned off his music first.</P>

[/quote]</P>

At the risk of sounding like another lecture (and I don't think the other post sounds very harsh, just honest and correct) your actions at times don't sound very neighborly. Iown a duplex with a GREAT neighbor. She's never complained, but then again I have 2 rooms seperating my organ and her home. The organ being overhead would make a <U>big </U>difference in sound transmition. I don't play full organ when she's home through speakers except on rare occasions. If I want to let it rip, I use my headphones. </P>

I tolerate the loud stereo music [:#] that on occasion comes from the other next door neighbors detached home, but that doesn't mean I really like the intrusion (which is also what you're doing). Doesn't mean I don't like the folk, just don't like hearing their music through my closed windows. It must be quite loud!</P>

What I'm trying to convey is a suggestion for you to be a bit more considerate. I'dsuggest throwing a party, inviting all the neighbors. Play a little to demo the organ and share how much it means to you to be able to play at home.Then let them know they're welcome to let you know if playing louddisturbs them. When your neighbors realize you're considerate of THEIR space, they may back off complainging a bit and become more tolerant.</P>

Good luck[:)] </P>

Comment

I am considerate to my neighbours. I have never had a complaint. The time I played my organ loudly against the neighbour playing Megadeath. He hasn't played his music loudly since. My next door neighbour thanked me for giving the megadeath player a taste of his own medicine. Believe me, we all get along and look out for each other. [:)]
            </p>

Comment

I've lived in urban areas mostly but have had good luck with this situation, such as living in a commercial building in NYC. I did practice piano during the day, but never heard any complaints.At another residenceI was lucky to havethe concertmaster of a local symphonyliving above me; he was never home. [:)] We occasionally practiced together and even did a performance.</P>

I've asked my neighbors if they are bothered by my playing - they say they enjoy it, if they happen to hear it.Often they areintriguedby my line of work and want to chat about it.</P>

Theymight hear the electronic organ, one of two pianos (or maybe both together), andoccasionally a violinist or a singer. I also have asubstantialstereo system, though I use rarely. I worry more about theTVs sincetheycan rattle the windows if a movie is playing.</P>

My rule has always been to stop playingby 10PM. I'm not a morning person, so don't have to worry about the early part. [:)]</P>

For some reason I seem to enjoy the electronic organ more if thevolume is relatively low. I turn it up to a 'realistic' volume if I'm only using something like a Gedeckt for practicing.</P>

Once in a while my neighbors will have a loud party; it bothers me a bit if I'm trying to get to sleep on Saturday night (the life of a church organist [:(]) butI've learned to ignore it.</P>

Walking around my neighborhood I have been pleasantly surprisedto hear other classical musicians practicing. [:)]</P>

Comment

I haven't had a neighbor complain about my organ music. In my neighborhood my organ playing is softer than the rap and hip hip music I hear coming from other houses and cars driving by on the street. </P>

Comment

[quote user="Greg"]I really don't need a lecture from you, ShadyJoe. I am considerate to my neighbours. I have a good relationship with them.

I'm glad you are not my neighbour, Joe.
                  </P>

[/quote]</P>

Wasn't meant to be a lecture. I have dealt with noisy neighbors working power tools or playing loud music. There were times I was trying to sleep. There were times I was trying to work in my home so that I could earn a paycheck. I guess since I provided a perspective that came more from the neighbor than from the "organist" I shouldn't have replied to your thread. Sorry.</P>
                  When I become dictator, those who preach intolerance will not be tolerated.

Comment

Working...
                  X