Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen 603D - Placement of speakers ????????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen 603D - Placement of speakers ????????

At our church we haveon each side of the baptistrya small room built on stilts, with the front of the room covered in some type of cloth that overlooks the congregation.Each of the rooms contain 4 Allen speaker cabinets.Each room has enough space for the cabinets to set two cabinets behind two cabinets (or perhaps two on top of two cabinets). Currently they are turned everyway imagineable, with non of them facing the congregation...........and they are all covered with thin plastic (top, sides, front) almost like someone was painting the room at one time and never removed the plastic. </P>

My question is: How should these dabinets be positioned? All facing the congregation or ?</P>

Thanks in advance for any and all information/suggestions.</P>

</P>

</P>

Re: Allen 603D - Placement of speakers ????????

[quote user="Wendol Ross"]

. . . Each of the rooms contain 4 Allen speaker cabinets.Each room has enough space for the cabinets to set two cabinets behind two cabinets (or perhaps two on top of two cabinets). [snip]</P>

My question is: How should these dabinets [sic]be positioned? All facing the congregation or ?[/quote]</P>

I'd suggest searching the phrase "speaker placement" or "placing speakers" on this Forum for the answer.</P>
    <UL>
    <LI><U><FONT color=#800080>http://organforum.com/forums/2/108938/ShowThread.aspx</FONT></U></LI>[/list]

Until then, remember a few principles:</P>
    <UL>
    <LI>It's better to have the speakers placed high, rather than low. That way, the sound can fill the area, unencumbered.</LI>
    <LI>It's generally not a good idea to have speakers facing the congregation directly so they hear direct sound.</LI>
    <LI>It's generally better to have the speakers speak after being reflected off a hard surface (i.e. wall or ceiling). Reflected vs. direct sound is desired, but can also lead to some weird effects.</LI>
    <LI>Celesting stops coming from different speakers should be placed next to/near each other to obtain maximum effect.</LI>
    <LI>In my present situation, I have the speakers cross paths before the congregation hears them off a reflected wall. It's the best I could do for a temporary situation.</LI>[/list]

In your specific situation, I'd suggest placing one pair of speakers on top of the other. If one is behind, it will be more difficult to hear the treble, and will create "gaps" in the sound in various areas of the congregation. On the other hand, in some concert/performing situations, I have placed a set of speakers approximately 10'-20' behind the other set to simulate a pipe chamber. In a good situation, electronic organ speaker placement is specific to the organ, available stops, and the location.</P>

In my garage, the Swell and Alterables come out of the left speakers, and the Great and Pedal come out of the right speakers (slightly closer to the organ), and it's driving me CRAZY!!! I'll make some crossover cables soon so I can fix the problem by repeating the sound on opposite sides and balancing them out again!</P>

Hopefully, this is useful to you.</P>

Michael</P>
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Wendol contacted me directly and asked if I would come up to Denison, TX one day to see his situation. I was able to do that this past Monday and he and a friend did reposition the speakers in each chamber. Those chambers are not very big--maybe 6 feet wide by 4 feet deep and a maximum of 6 feet high with a sloping top. With 5 speakers in one chamber and 4 plus the electronics in the other, I didn't think the volume was enough to give much character to the sound via reflections, so we opted to just point the speakers more or less forward, some parallel to the near wall and some crossing over the seating to some extent. The labeling of the speakers seemed to indicate that there were 2 "Main" and 2 "Flute" speakers in each chamber, and the extra speaker in the one chamber seemed to be for the Pedals. With the speakers rearranged there was a significant increase in the volume heard in the worship space and Wendol and his friend were convinced that the sound distribution throughout the space was improved.</P>

The speakers were not at first arranged in any coherent manner--in each chamber there were 2 speakers that actually faced each other a foot or so apart. They had been covered with some sort of transparent plastic, too. We think that the workers that applied a coating to the insides of the chambers probably just moved all the speakers together in the center of the chambers, away from the walls, and covered them over so they would not be splashed with the paint. And then no one went back in and removed the coverings and repositioned the speakers!</P>

Wendol seems happy with the result and I advised him to live with the new arrangement for a while to see how it ages. It's always possible to go back in and tweak things later.</P>

David</P>

Comment

David,</P>

Thank you for posting an update on this. It is definitely a reminder that not all instruments are installed in ideal situations. Consequently, we are sometimes left in the untenable position of making the best of a difficult circumstance.</P>

As much as I like pipe organs, only an electronic instrument can be changed at a moments notice to get the best out of it.</P>

On the other hand, if a pipe organ were installed, I'm sure the builder wouldn't install it unlessthe installation were optimal, and the church would "think twice" before making any alterations.</P>

Your post is a good reminder of one of the many reasons this forum exists: To match up good people who will help each other out when needed. Thank you for your generosity to Forum members.</P>

Michael</P>
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
        X