This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers 760 - Positiv

My Rodgers 760 has a Positiv division intended for pipes. The church I bought this organ from used pipes with this instrument, but kept them to use in their new pipe organ. </p>

The 760 has factory installed MIDI and every knob, piston, and tab sends a MIDI signal except the knobs on the Positiv. Is the Positiv supposed to send MIDI? If so, do you have any idea why it is not sending any signals? I would like to use these knobs to switch some jOrgan MIDI stops.
    </p>

Re: Rodgers 760 - Positiv

Quantum,</p>

I'm not an expert in Rodgers organs, although I service some of the older analog ones. I do have a thought or two on this.</p>

This Rodgers, was prepared at the factory to take pipes. I think normally though, it would have been sold without pipes. My guess is that there are some switches inside the console whereby you change stops or ranks from being electronic to pipes. My thinking is, that that may also affect the way the MIDI is implemented on the drawstops.</p>

I will check the schematics when I get some time in the next day or two, to see what is going on here.</p>

AV
    </p>

Comment

Thanks Arie</p>

Something I should add: When I was trying out the organ in church before it was completely disconnected, the Positiv stops would light and stay lit when pulled, and turn off when pushed in - as expected. I believe the pipes were already disconnected at this point. Currently, the Positiv stops will momentarily stay lit as long as I hold the drawknob in the pulled position. They will turn off once I release the drawknob.
      </p>

Comment

Hmm, thinking about it from a purely electric/electronic standpoint, it may be wired slightly differently as a result of previously using pipes. In a car, many think they hit the A/C button, and the light turns on, but that's not true. In most cars, the light doesn't turn on until the AC compressor actually engages. Perhaps it's wired similarily here, where the lighted knob won't turn on until the stop itself physically turns on. </P>

Comment

As an owner of a 760 (s/n 76370) of the same vintage, I can provide some insight on this from info provided by our local Rodgers dealer.</p>

Since the Positiv division was only designed to support pipes that essentially doubled the corresponding Great stops (a floating division of sorts), its stop controls were not included in the MIDI system since they duplicated existing functionality.</p>

When you tried out the organ at the church, the pipe interface boards must have still been installed in the console, which provided the signals required by the control processor to cause the Positiv drawknobs to operate as expected. The boards must have been removed after that because when the pipe interface is not present, the drawknobs won't stay lit because there's no stop control state to toggle.</p>

Unfortunately, Rodgers never released any official manual updates or addendums that covered the MIDI implementation (or other late model enhancements like the Walker Digital Activity Controller in mine), only tech bulletins that appear to be few and far between.</p>

--- Tom</p>

</p>
          Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Quantum,</p>

I checked my copy of the the Rodgers 760 tech manual, and Tom is correct. There is no reference to MIDI at all, except it mentions that there are 3 pistons that are labelled i.e. MIDI on Gt. etc.</p>

This is rather bizarre. Sounds like it was a feature, but they didn't really have a function for it at the time. </p>

Probably at this point in the organ's life cycle it is not worth doing a whole lot about. You may try to contact the Rodgers folks at Roland Canada, and see what they say. </p>

AV
            </p>

Comment

Working...
            X