This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers 660

Can anyone tell me out there what they know and think about the Rodgers 660. I know that it really is an expanded large 2M made into a three manual. The one I'm looking at is tilting tablet, no speakers or amps. I also know it can be reduced from its six channels down to three for home or smaller application.
    But I'd like to know what some of you have experienced or think about this instrument. I think I can pick it up for not much money, around $500.00. But like I said I still have to get amps and speakers.
    Can anyone give me some input? Thank you for your help in making this decision.
    Jim

Hi,

I service one of these instruments. Not a bad organ for 1970 technology. Yes, it essentially is a 2 manual organ spread out over 3. The Choir and Great and much of the Pedal is all really only a single division.

They are very well built, and will probably be good for a number of years still.

Make sure you know that functionally and that the audio is all working. To get the original intended sound, you will need to get similar speakers to what Rodgers sold with the organ. Otherwise you may find the sound to be quite different.

Because of it's age, I wouldn't put much money into it. The consoles do make for good candidates for virtual organ conversion.

Just remember, there is no longer a lineup of folks waiting to buy these things.

AV

Comment

Also, I believe the 660 is a 40" console so make sure you can get it through the door!

Greg

Comment

We had one at church for a year or two. It was old when we got it, a hand-me-down from another church that we used until something newer came along. I agree with everything Arie says about it. A lot of good ideas in that organ, makes a lot of hay from rather sparse resources, has the essential stops for a good practice organ or a starter church organ. But the console is quite large and may not fit through a standard door.

If it has the optional capture action (as opposed to the setterboard that was standard equipment) it will be of the "core memory" type. A fascinating and elegant capture system that was far more flexible than the old mechanical actions, but everything has to be "just right" or it will not always work right, a stop or two failing to capture or failing to cancel, etc. Ours had a couple of stops that had ceased to capture, and I also had to be careful never to press two pistons in quick succession, as this would result in one piston overwriting the other.

It needs Rodgers S-100 amps, and you can sometimes buy those on ebay. The tone color will be somewhat affected by your choice of speakers, but I wouldn't worry about that much. There is quite a bit of voicing that you can do to compensate for different speakers and different acoustical situations.

John
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hey thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I mentioned earlier in another thread that I owned a Rodgers 334D (990 prototype) and it was magnificant. All original amps and speakers. Blane Rickets, Joe Cardoza and Dick Cencibaugh installed and got her back to her majestic beauty from the 70's. When I quit the church the organ wasn't wanted so they gave it to me. It was much to much for my home so I sold it to a Catholic church in Chico,CA. They are in heaven. Again thanks you guys, this helps alot. I primarily want a 3M for practice and home instruction. I teach organ/piano/theory at our college and having a 3M at home helps me to practice more thoroughly than running down to the church everytime I need a 3M to practice on.
          Blessings to you.
          JIM

Comment

The 660 is a 36" deep console (I own a heavily modified DK version). It's big brother 990 and the later 330 were in the 40" beast console.

As noted, it's a great practice instrument, easily modified for both audio and the addition of MIDI.

-- Tom
            Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Odd, Tom.
              I have an (incomplete) Rodgers 660/990 Tech Manual and it says both consoles are 40". BTW, that "40" beast" term seems to be pretty common! And apt! But I've only heard it in reference to Rodgers, never Allen....

John mentions the only option for the combination action is the core memory type -- did Rodgers ever "upgrade" the 660 design to computer control, like they did for the 990?

Finally, my 660/990 manual is missing the voicing/tuning sections -- anybody have a copy they'd share? Let me copy? Or sell? I'll buy the complete manual, if necessary. It needs to be for the larger specification with multiple 32' pedal stops and Fanfare Trumpet, non-computer.

Greg

Comment

Greg,

AFAIK, the "core" memory system was the only capture used by Rodgers until after the days of the 220/330/660/990 etc. However, during the core memory period they did develop the lighted drawknob action. While it might seem quite different, it was actually just a variation on the original core memory concept. During the core memory period they also began offering "time-shared" organs, which made possible the transposer, among other things.

It was sometime in the 70's that Rodgers started offering the CMOS memory system instead of core memory. This was their first truly different memory system, and I think it was their first to offer a second memory level.

The 660 dropped out of the model line long before the 990, though, and so it was never offered in a lighted drawknob version, unless I'm mistaken.

Send me an email about the service manual. I might be able to help you. email: jbird604 [at] aol.com
                John
                John
                ----------
                *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
                X