This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen MOS - 2 Speaker replacement?

I have a 1974 Allen MOS-2 for a practice instrument at home. The speakers are very large, and one of them has static issues. I would like to replace them, preferably with something compact, as my living room is not big. Can I just purchase some decent stereo speakers and hook them up? Fabulous sound quality is NOT the priority here, as it is only a home practice instrument, and most of my practicing is done at work on a III-43 A-S.

Thanks for your wisdom!

Diane,

You have some erroneous information here. 1974 and MOS-2 is impossible. Allen did not come out with MOS-2 until 1981. MOS-2 was only manufactured for 2 some years, to be superseded by ADC models.

If you tell us what model you have, some of us here help you better.

Yes, it is possible to use much "smaller" speakers. You will however need a powered sub-woofer in the loop to get any kind of decent bass though.

AV

Comment

Thanks so much - I may be wrong about the year. It's been very hard to find actual information on the organ I've got - the tech who serviced it wondered if it is a special model made for a certain denomination - Mormons? The model information is not on it anywhere. The only numbers on it are 282-RTC. Does that help?

I appreciate the quick response!

Diane

Comment

Diane,

There was a model 282 LDS, which was a Mormon Church variant of the 200 series MOS-1 technology. It came out around 1977.

This would be a 2 channel organ with just external speakers.

This may take some experimenting, but you could use some reasonably small bookshelf speakers and pair them to a powered sub-woofer. The sub-woofer would have to take speaker level signal (or high level in) and then you fed the speaker outs to the small speakers.

The type of speakers I am familiar with are the Definitive Technologies SM-450, and paired to a Super Cube II. Works just great. These SM-450 speakers could sit on top of the console. The Super Cube II is only about a 12" cube in size. Adjust the crossover to approx. 50 to 60 hz. You may have to adjust volumes, both at the organ end, as well as at the powered sub-woofer to get proper balance.

AV
        Last edited by arie v; 12-20-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

I sense a Christmas present in my stocking this year - thank you so much for this information! I think you are describing the organ I've got - it's adequate for what I need right now, but will look to trade up to something I can set pistons on in the next year or two. Thanks very much!

Diane

Comment

Originally posted by Diane Caruso View Post
            . . . and one of them has static issues.
            Just cut the offending wire--that should solve the problem!O:-)

Seriously, the problem is probably not in the speaker, rather in the organ. Try switching the speaker connections and see if the problem follows the speaker or the channel. In an organ of that age, the mid-range speakers probably have begun to crack, and it can sound like static, but is actually the pieces of the foam surround hitting together.

I have a fellow who repairs my surrounds for $25-$35 each (mid-range & woofer, respectively). I can appreciate the amount of room they take up, though.

Arie, didn't Allen make smaller speakers that had a smaller woofer, one midrange, and a tweeter (for ADC organs). Are there options there?

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
            X