X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Organ Company / Norwich Organ Manufacturers

Hi everybody !

I am trying to compile every bit and piece of information I can get regarding the Miller Organ Company / Norwich Organ Manufacturers (some organs even bore the label 'Musical Research Ltd. Norwich').
    I am grateful for anything I can get: advertisements, brochures, newspaper articles, photos, schematic diagrammes etc.
    If you can help, please contact me: [email protected]

Many thanks !
    Tom.
    Attached Files

It helps to update your personal data under forum actions at the top to show at least what continent you are on, if not country, city, county, state, province or department. We have a Miller Organ Co in Louisville Ky on Bardstown road, but I suspect from the Ltd. that is not who you are talking about.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Thank you for your hint.
      The MILLERs I mean are from Norwich, UK.

Comment

At first, I thought you meant Miller Organ Company in Louisville, KY.

Comment

The Norwich company is still trading in England. The new digital range are, I'm told, ok. The older generation of analogue Norwich and Miller organs are still seen occasionally on Ebay - the consoles were good, but the sound was pretty awful! There are still quite a few around on British military bases - I had the misfortune to have to play one recently. It dated from the 50s/60s and is regularly carried in and out of the building by the troops as needed.

Comment

Hi

I played a Miller organ in our local Church from 1982 until 1999. Towards the end of my time, it was proving more difficult to get parts for the organ. On the plus side, we had an excellent organ maintenance chap who kept it going and working well. I visited the church recently and given the general lack of maintenance and old age, the organ was replaced by an very bland and cheap second hand Johannus organ. I agree with the previous poster that the keyboards were exceptional. Wooden and well weighted. Our church purchased the organ when it opened in 1972 and it was played very regularly right up to the end. Unlike the previous poster, I loved the tone of the organ. We had two large speaker boxes which were quite separate from the organ, and filled the church well and supported the congregation singing well for nearly 40 years. I am sure the organ was called an English Organ. Do you have any pictures or info on these organs? I wonder if there are still any fully operational.

Thanks

Comment

Hello joeorgan

which church are you talking about where you played the Miller organ?
              Please give me your email address and I'll send you some photos of my "English Organ".
              Kind regards,
              Tom.

Comment

Hi there,

eventually, I managed to upload a picture of my Miller "English Organ"

Kind regards,
                Tom.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tom

I have a feeling (after some thought) that the organ model was a New English Organ, circa 1972. I think. It was draw stops as opposed to tabs. I played it in Scotland. Email any info to [email protected]

thanks

Comment

Hi 'joeorgan',

I sent you an email ...
                    Kind regards,
                    Tom.

Comment

Hi everybody !

Please forgive me for being so persistant .... isn't there really anybody with information about the Miller Organ Company in Norwich, UK ?

Comment

Miller electronic organs

In the Grand Masonic Hall, Queens Street, London there are about 10 one manual Miller electronic organs. They have tremulant, Melodic Key, Bass Key, 8dia,8St.Dia,4prin,4fl,2Picc,2.Fifteenth and a 2.2/3. Expression pedal and large external speakers. They still work well, played on elast week.

Comment

MANY THANKS ! That's very interesting !!!
                          Do you have an idea why they have 10 1-manual organs ???

Comment

For comparison of another English offering, I have a 1958'ish Selmer, which were made in London.
                            http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/amps/concert1.html

Ciao, Tim
                            Selmer Concert 1958

Comment

Hi Tim,

the organ that you are restoring, the 'Selmer Concert' is very nice and interesting. Did not know this organ ... Many thanks for the information and GOOD LUCK !
                              Please keep us informed about the progress ...

Kind regards,
                              Tom.

Comment

Working...
                              X