X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions regarding the midi-interface of a Johannus

Hello

I own a Johannus Sweelinck 20 for some month now, but the tonal quality is rather disappointing. After switching to an external amp and speakers at line out it is much better but still far away from a real organ. To get a more authentic organ sound I plan to connect a PC with Hauptwerk-software via midi interface to the Johannus organ. I’d like to use as less of Johannus components as possible, i.e. getting the signal in thought the midi interface and then using aux out.
    Does anybody know, how that could work ? Which components of the Johannus still have to be used this way ? How many midi channels can be processed ?

Re: Some questions regarding the midi-interface of a Johannus

John12,

I have a Johannus MIDI Implementation Chart.

Dave.
    http://phoenixorganssouth.com

Comment

There is nothing wrong with only one midi channel per division. I can't see where you would want more.

You would not be using any of the Johannes tone generators if you use Hauptwerk for everything. I assume that you want to keep using the stop tabs as they are but use them for changing stops on Hauptwerk. I am sure that can be done but I am not sure of the exact implementation.

Alternatively you can just use the midi out and use hauptwerk for everything else. Hauptwerk has its own way of changing stops, so you wouldn't even need to use the Johannes stop tabs. A Computer display on the console would show what stops are on, and a mouse would let you change stops and set pistons.

Cheers. Steve.

Comment

I read somewhere at the hauptwerk homepage, that it is adviced to use more than one midi output in order not to get delays while playing. One for the manuals, one for the pedals, one for the swell organ etc. So the question is, how to get this realised with a Johannus. Maybe it is not possible at all ?

Comment

not sure, but you can go into the .organ file of any organ in hauptwerk, and alter which "note" represents which stop. If Johannus stops send a constant signal to that "note" on channel 12 while on, then it can be used for sure. All you have to do is modify the .organ file of each organ you use, so that your J stop tabs turn on the stops you want them to. At least that sounds right to me, I only have the trial of hauptwerk, and have yet to purchase any organ sets. Can anybody shed some more light on this?

Comment

John 12,

If you are disappointed with the sound of your Johannus, I would suggest that you contact your Johannus rep. Much can be done in the way of voicing, and Johannus also has an additional 4-channel accoustic simulator available that can make even a small room sound much like a very large space. Johannus is a very reputable company, and they do not want their customers to be unhappy with their products. I have a large-spec 3 manual that interfaces with a 4 rank Kilgen pipe organ, and they have been extremely helpful in making the interface work seemlessly.

Comment

RW,

I don't believe that Johannus is a very reliable company. I had very bad experiences with them (see my posting at the threat "Johannus").
              I already made some experiments with external quality speakers, but the internal amps turned out to be not so high quality as advertised. So I bought an external high end amp, connected to line out and two high end speakers. This sounds much better know, but it is only stereo and the reeds and the atrificial echo are far away from a real instrument.

Comment

I think you're misunderstanding things a little here.</P>

You only need one MIDI output from the Johannus and one MIDI input into HW. That one link carries up to 16 MIDI channels. Each MIDI channel is given to one division. 1=Great, 2=Swell, 3=Pedal and so on. In order for the console and HW to communicate, those channels have to be matched up correctly. Read the ownersmanuals for both instruments.</P>

As for changing stops, the usual method would be to programme the combination pistons on the HW virtual organ and make the Johannus pistons send the correct MIDI messages to select them. Again, read the books.</P>

I have to wonder why you don't like the sound of your Johannus. You presumably must have been impressed enough to buy it, so what's changed your opinion? Like the man says, have a chat with your Johannus rep about revoicing, fine-tuning, whatever you like to call it. </P>

Use HW by all means, but view it more as an addition to what you have already.</P>

Andy G</P>
                It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
                Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
                Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
                Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

In Hauptwerk V2, you can assign combinations or individual stops or whatever to a keyboard key as well as to almost any other conceivable input such MIDI program changes note-on or -off etc.</P>

Rob</P>

Comment

Dave, I don't think this type of altering would really big big enough to void the warranty.</P>

A good friend of mine is a Johannus dealer, and I have been fortunate to help install several Johannus organs around town. Through him, I've also been able to meet and talk to a few other dealers. I've been shown the software that can be used to edit the voicing, and have even been able to play around with it myself. The software is VERY complex, and with computers these days, you have the ability to change the voicing of every single pipe of every stop. You can edit the amount of chiff, air "woosh", everything. It's actually pretty amazing, and I hope I will be given an opportunity to mess with that software a little more in the future.</P>

My suggestion: before even messing with Hauptwerk, just call the dealer. Try to find things that you're not happy with specifically and then point those out and see if they can be adjusted and fixed. I'm sure if you found a few specific things, the dealer could do something to help fix it.</P>

However, if you insist on using Hauptwerk, it shouldn't be much harder than simply plugging it in and adjusting the program settings. However, don't take my word for it; I haven't ever even tried to mess with Hauptwerk!</P>

Dave, no such feature exists currently. However, I have thought about writing a simple program that would run in the background and would move (and click) the mouse on a specific place on the screen if a certain key was pressed. The possibilities of that are endless, as you could essentially build a piston system by taking an old computer keyboard and moving the contacts to underneath piston buttons. However, I'm sure there's a much cleaner, more efficient way of doing it with midi!</P>

Comment

Yes you can change stops using any key on the keyboard rather than the mouse but the really useful way is to use a touch screen and place the monitor(s) where the stops would be on a normal organ. Then the Hauptwerk screen with the stops/couplers displayed can be simply touched.</P>

If you have a midi enabled console with actual stops you can connect the stops (if they activate midi commands) to the virtual stops in the Hauptwerk sample.</P>

Rob</P>

Comment

John12,</P>

Audio signals are not transmittet through MIDI. If you want to hook up your PC (running any software sampling software such as Hauptwerk), you need to connect MIDI Out of your organ to MIDI In of a PC MIDI interface - and the Line Out of your PC sound card to the Aux In of your organ.</P>

However, even "Hauptwerk" is a powerful piece of software and the tonal quality of some Hauptwerk organ projects are just "out of tis world", you may be still disappointed if you'd use the internal speaker system of your Johannus to monitor the Hauptwerk organ projects. The simple reason is the poor sound quality of the internal speaker system of your organ (the same reason why you're not happy with the overall sound of your internal voices).</P>

There are two solutions to this problem:</P>

1.Buy an externalhigh-quality 5.1 Audio speaker system (a typical home cinema system) and have an experienced technician to install and connect it to the internal five-channel audio system of your Sweelinck 20. This might make your consideration to add a PC-based sample player software obsolete as you might discover that your internal Johannus samples are far better than the internal audio system of your organ...</P>

2. Do exactly the same PLUS go and get Hauptwerk V2.10 plus one (or some) of your favortie Hauptwerk organ projects - and you'll get the best of both digital worlds (substantial improvment of the sound quality of your Johannus stops plus the unparalleled sound reproduction quality of fine historical pipe organs).</P>

</P>

Comment

I own a Johannus Opus 10 and have been running Hauptwerk on it for a couple years now. It works great. All I had to do was run the MIDI in and MIDI out a simple MIDI interface to my computer via one of the USB ports, feed the audio out directly out of my PC to the audio in on the Johannus organ. I have external speakers and the Hauptwerk signal is sent through the organ's amplifier and to both external and internal speakers.
                          The Hauptwerk 4.0 is very easy to use it has a way to click on stops and keyboards on the virtual organs and capture the key action directly from your organ.
                          I also downloaded ASIO4ALL an audio program to get digital sound on your computer. It's free off the web but a little more confusing to set up. It allows a shorter time delay for midi key action and better sound.
                          Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                          X