This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Stop Label Fonts

Does anyone know the font and pitch used to label traditional Allen stops, boxes, pistons, and toe studs? I know that it is some sort of sans-serif font, but have been unable to find it online or any of my computers.

The closest I could come was Eurostile or Univers Condensed on my PC, and nothing on the Macintosh. Suggestions? Help?:-P:o

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

A couple years ago I wanted to know a font associated with a certain product. I looked around on the web and found some sort of font forum. Amazingly, my question had already been asked and answered. I didn't even have to join. Sorry, I don't remember where I found it and I'm pretty sure I didn't bookmark it. Just as we are the world wide source of information on old organs (electronic at least, I don't follow the pipe discussions as much) somewhere on the internet are a flock of font gurus who would be happy to answer this question if you had some digicam snaps of the stoptabs.

Comment

Allen Stop Label Fonts

I am a graphic artist, and use a lot of fonts. I subscribe to a site called myfonts.com, and within the site is a place you can ask for help identifying a particular font, called What the Font. It's pretty slick...you can scan a .jpg image of your font, then upload it, and people will chime in with the answer(s). I've used it a few times on some fairly obscure (in my opinion) fonts, and it didn't take many days for someone to identify it for me. Give it a try! Or, maybe the easier way would be to call Allen and ask them! :)
      Jennifer

Comment

Thanks, all for the responses. Here is Allen's reply: "Dear Sir:
        Unfortunately, the information you have requested is unavailable. These labels were made by hand and may not equate to the modern font styles and sizes."
        How helpful!X-(

I have, however, determined that the labels over the boxes are 3" long by 5/8" tall. The letters are 1/4" high. The labels over the toe studs are 1.5" long by ??" tall. I need to take more photos of the measurements to get them right before I post them.

Interesting thing to note--the letters are not located in the center of the label vertically. There is slightly more space between the top portion of the label and the lettering than the bottom portion of the label and the lettering. I would assume this is the same principle used in framing art works, etc.

I'll post more as I learn more. Thanks again for the answers.

Michael
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I tried a search on the Allen-Organ-Owners Group on Yahoo! and did not find any information about the stop name fonts. There was one post that indicated that Allen had procured laser engraving machinery that could use any font available as desired, though.

David

Comment

We had a font matching problem during our church organ project in 2003-2004. Wicks was helping with the console renovation and they were in the process of changing from Pantograph to laser engraving and there were matching issues between the two formats. Perhaps the older Allen font was done by an obsolete Pantograph?

Comment

Unless you're trying to to the engraving yourself, I would talk to Hesco about it; they may have the font.

www.hescoincorporated.com

Greg

Comment

Thanks for the lead Jennifer. I think that's probably the site I perused a couple years ago to find out about a font.

Comment

You're very welcome. If you want me to try to find it for you I'd be happy to...just send me a copy of the lettering.

Comment

Oops...send it to <deleted> if you want help.

Removed email address from this post. To contact this poster click on her username to the right. Posting email addresses on the internet is an invitation to spammers and scammers. -Admin
                    Last edited by Admin; 09-20-2011, 07:22 AM. Reason: Removed email address

Comment

Originally posted by Jennifer Saks View Post
                      You're very welcome. If you want me to try to find it for you I'd be happy to...just send me a copy of the lettering.
                      Jennifer,

Thank you for your kind offer. I believe I'll take you up on that offer, however, I'd suggest removing your e-mail from that last post unless you want to get lots of junk mail. I'll contact you shortly.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                      X