This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth Fixing Up

I Have A Baldwin D-911 The organ works but I have no pedals and it has no internal Speakers. Does work fine on Headphones. New pedals are like 2000. speakers about 500. Is this organ worth fixing up or should I look for complete Allen or similar. I will be using the organ in my Apt to practice on only.

Your organ was built about 1989 by Viscount. I suspect, for what it's going to cost you to replace the missing petals and speakers you can have several complete and working organs delivered to your house. If it were me, I wouldn't fool with it unless there are used parts available for cheap. Keeping that old foreign job running is going to be expensive at least.
    "The employment of the piano is forbidden in church, as is also that of noisy frivolous instruments such as drums, cymbals, bells and the like." St. Pius X

Comment

discussion

Okey dokey... Not horribly familiar with the D-911 model but I suspect that you might be able to rig a pedal board from another model on there.

Buying a new pedalboard for 2000...... Are you high? can I get some of what your are smoking?

No, go for used or even make your own, the organ is not worth anywhere near 2K unless it does your taxes or something.

If you can use headphones you can hook up a guitar amp or a home sound system on the aux channel. Get creative here... I use a boombox on a 1/4 inch jack. What do you have that amplifies sound?

So where did the pedals go? how many pedals does it take? what is the spacing? can you hit the contacts on the organ kickplate and sound the pedals? a couple of pics would be good.

For now there is a good deal of manual practice you can get in if you like the feel of the keys.

Is it worth it? Ummmm...what do you mean? is it not worth 2000 dollars? No, or rather...yes, it is NOT worth 2000. you could get a really nice organ for that. IS it worth scrounging or adapting a pedalboard...yea, probably. Don't make me break out the charts and graphs...

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Spectratone View Post
        Okey dokey... Not horribly familiar with the D-911 model but I suspect that you might be able to rig a pedal board from another model on there.

Buying a new pedalboard for 2000...... Are you high? can I get some of what your are smoking?

No, go for used or even make your own, the organ is not worth anywhere near 2K unless it does your taxes or something.

If you can use headphones you can hook up a guitar amp or a home sound system on the aux channel. Get creative here... I use a boombox on a 1/4 inch jack. What do you have that amplifies sound?

So where did the pedals go? how many pedals does it take? what is the spacing? can you hit the contacts on the organ kickplate and sound the pedals? a couple of pics would be good.

For now there is a good deal of manual practice you can get in if you like the feel of the keys.

Is it worth it? Ummmm...what do you mean? is it not worth 2000 dollars? No, or rather...yes, it is NOT worth 2000. you could get a really nice organ for that. IS it worth scrounging or adapting a pedalboard...yea, probably. Don't make me break out the charts and graphs...

The organ was Made By Viscount and the 2000 price for the pedals is what Viscount get's The pedals connect to the organ by a Serial Computer cable There are no contacts underneath the organ. I was planning to get 2 external speaker for it and connecting them to the out plugs. When I got the organ I got the wrong pedals with it. Now the guy says he has the pedals But I can not get a time to get them this is like 400 miles away. But the person is being very difficult to work with. I am not going to make a trip and not be able to get them. I don't know if a different pedal can be connected to it. I would be happy to use the Headphone jack for a long time since 99% of the time I will have to use the headphone jack. at least for now

Comment

Take the advice given, don't spend $2K on pedals and $500 on speakers when that amount could buy you a better organ - complete!
          It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
          Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
          Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
          Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

pedals

OK, it has a serial like connection....prob a bunch of wires on a funny plug. I am going to go out on a limb and say it is not an RS-232 serial port.

You picked up the WRONG board? Yea... logic dictates you bring it back and swap it out. I would take a great deal of care to get the right one when you get there. 400 miles....ugh. well, the good news is that the heavy part is not going anywhere.

That ALMOST happened to me a couple of times, strangely enough. I always count the pedals and check the mounts and cables.

If the seller is not being helpful. you just gotta roll with it. I can't see any reason he would want to keep the correct pedalboard. I would also assume that he would want the wrong one back as it has to go to SOME organ. Keep on it for a bit the both of you prob just feel dumb over the mix up is all.

Worse case scenario...Mail it. I think Greyhound still has some cheap shipping. Look around and generate some options. Do you have any "boots on the ground" that can help out in the area?

Comment

Seems like I will be able to get pedals on Oct 11 Will I'll now when I get there not a total lost my brother lives between me and the pedals and thank the LORD gas prices are going down.
              When got organ It was like 95 and humid and after 8 hr drive I failed to make sure I had the right pedals.

Comment

oops.

Yea, grabbing the wrong set of pedals is not unheard of. Fatigue is a huge factor in mistakes. The desire to bring your prize home and play with it can get kinda strong. I am going to assume that the pedal boards were similar enough that the mix up was not readily apparent. Still doesn't explain how he let you go with the wrong pedals....But, it is all do-able. Look around to see if there is anything you need in that neck of the woods. Perhaps another organ? I mean...if you are going there with a truck and burning the gas...ya might as well. Check the postings in that area to see if anything is dropping from the trees. Ya never know...

Say hi to your Brother and try to have a good time. Road trips can be fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Spectratone View Post
                  Say hi to your Brother and try to have a good time. Road trips can be fun.
                  Yep. I recently came back from a 5000-mile road trip that took me 38 days. I drove from Dallas, TX to Montreal, Quebec; went on a 7-day cruise with some of my church choir to Boston, MA; took a bus back to Montreal to get my car; and drove home via Quebec, Ontario, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, (Missouri), Kansas, (Missouri), Oklahoma, and Texas. I visited more than a dozen First Cousins along the way and saw a lot of interesting places. Try to make your 400 miles interesting.

David

Comment

looks like someone took the pedals before I got there. Will get rid of Organ and look for a different one.

Comment

Rodents!

Rats! I hate when that happens! Well... there are people out there looking for boards...I know I am one... but it is a shame to break up a set. any hope of using what you have and "adapting" it?

Not usually worth the time and trouble, I am just throwing out ideas here. Sooo... what board DO you have? is it to the Baldwin c720t board? and how many pedals are we dealing with on both the Organ and the board? A lot of times it is just contacts and wiring. Not rocket science..but there may be some head scratching and usage of choice words..

Condolences upon the difficulties there brother.... heres to better days...

Comment

Originally posted by Archon View Post
                        looks like someone took the pedals before I got there. Will get rid of Organ and look for a different one.
                        Hi,

I have a pedalboard that will fit that organ. Problem is that I am in southern Ontario, in Canada. The crating and shipping is more than the thing is worth.

AV

Comment

shipping and logistics

That is mighty generous of you Arie. I haven't shipped anything big lately, but I DID get a good rate from Greyhound shipping some years ago for a pedal board. Boxing isn't that big a deal...just use some good dunnage and keep looping it with that saran wrap stuff.

Archon: check out freight costs for above with various services.. Not sure you could even give away an organ without pedals and it would be a shame to scrap it if it all works.

Sooo..TWO options...1) use what you have with some mods (PITA IMHO)
                          and .........................2) have a set shipped.

Actually 3,4, and 5 are buy a really expensive new set, have a set made, and scrap the unit.
                          I would lean towards 1 and 2. of course economics leans towards 5.... Numbers can be cruel like that.

Comment

Traded the Baldwin D-911 for a Baldwin Fantasia Model 230. The Fantasia will be refurbish before I get it and all works and I did play it. Does sound good for what I am going to play on it. Plus it is smaller and will fit nice in my apt a Headphone jack is being installed.

Comment

This is the organ I am getting

Comment

Working...
                              X