This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen System 1405 Audio Questions

I've decided to make a separate inquiry regarding the audio portion of the Allen 1405 organ. I hope that it was proper of me to start a new thread, I'm new to forums in general.

The instrument we've been interested in has 22 large speakers, 12 more large ones for the antiphonal system, and 8 smaller speakers.

I've heard the term 'Mix it Down' to fewer audio channels and speakers. What does this entail, is it something that an intelligent layman can comprehend and perform, or is it something only a true Organ Guru can do?

In our case, we would probably only be using from six to eight large speakers and would have to adjust the instrument accordingly.

In addition, what type and quantity of amplifiers would this instrument likely be using? The church organist, who is providing information to me, has very limited information on this matter. I'm too far away to go look at the organ, then make a separate trip to buy it, so I'm trying to learn all I can first. And I can't really expect her to go crawling around amongst equipment racks in her Sunday best!

Thanks to all in advance - Jim
    I'm so poor, my cats get free health care!

The 1405 has four computers, each computer has two channels, for a total of eight channels. There may be an additional 2 channels for reverb. If the organ has been expanded with SDDS, they'll be additional channels. The amplifiers that Allen used in that era are S-100's. You'll have one amp for each channel. As MOS-2 organs audio out is standard line levels, you should be able to use an off the shelf mixer to mix down, although I would advise against going with any less that eight channels.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Wow, I'm really surprised and pleased that this instrument actually has normal, 'off the shelf' audio line outputs for the audio system. I guess I'm used to inexpensive equipment where such connections are hardwired into the circuitry, many times even being such an integral part of the electronics that there is no possible way of tapping into the circuit to use any 'aftermarket' audio equipment.

When I was much younger, I took a course in video and audio mixing, at the most basic level, because I had thoughts about becoming either a video or an audio engineer and working in a tv or radio studio. So this process of mixing down is something that I would feel very comfortable doing myself, using equipment with which I am already familiar. At one time I even had an older mixing board that I used as a pre-amp for my stereo system.

The more I learn about these larger organs, the more impressed I become with the engineering and the thought that went into their design and manufacture. And it becomes steadily more obvious why they're expensive.

Once again, thanks to all for the help - Jim
      I'm so poor, my cats get free health care!

Comment

For any church installation, I would strongly encourage you to use all the channels that the organ offers. Mixing down for a home installation is sometimes a necessity, but invariably the sound will be better with separate channels.

Toodles.

Comment

Working...
        X