This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Choosing Practice Instrument

I am just about to start organ lessons for the first time in my life, and my teacher is asking that I have an AGO practice instrument at home.

Here are the affordable instruments I have found near me:

Rodgers 220
    Rodgers 700
    Rodgers 735
    Rodgers 740

I do not have an engineering degree, and have never even opened a toaster. Most of the discussions I find online about these organs are way over my head, since I am so new to all this. I don't know the first thing about consoles, modules, oscillatorts, amplifiers, etc. While I know some practical definitions of the words 'digital' and 'analog,' I do not know exactly what this means in the organ world. However, I am a math and computers kind of guy, so I do have the potential to learn all this stuff, if only I knew where to start.

If anyone has the time and expertise, I would really appreciate some help.
    My questions would be:

Are all these instruments analog? What does this mean to me as the buyer/musician?

What are fair prices for each of these instruments, assuming they are in good working condition?

I don't know how long these models were in production. Might the same model number have been made in the 70s, 80s, and 90s? If so, how much does the age affect the price?

How are these instruments maintained? What should I expect to pay for maintenance, and how often is that to be done?

What work might I need to put in myself?

What if anything should I look out for, or make sure of when purchasing an organ?

Lastly, where can I go to learn more about how these instruments work, so I am not so in the dark about all of this?

Thanks for any advice!

I found this thread on the Organ Forum about the Rodgers 220: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...should-I-offer

I found this item about the Rodgers 700: http://www.justanswer.com/musical-in...model-700.html

I don't know if any of that will help, but there they are. I suspect other, more knowledgeable, people will come aboard and give you their advice.

David

Comment

Hello, JS;

"Here are the affordable instruments I have found near me:"

Rodgers 220: 1971, analog, individual transistor oscillators
      Rodgers 700: 1977, analog, individual transistor oscillators
      Rodgers 735: ...sorry, I don't have data on that Rodgers
      Rodgers 740: 1983, analog, individual transistor oscillators

"If anyone has the time and expertise, I would really appreciate some help.
      My questions would be:

Are all these instruments analog? What does this mean to me as the buyer/musician?"

.....Let me cut to the chase: you are really worrying this matter to death! Take your instructor along and go listen to these instruments. Between your four ears, you will be able to find the instrument that will please your ears, fit your pocketbook and space allotment. The larger the model number, the more features and more space required.

. . . Jan
      the OrganGrinder

Comment

Thanks for the help thus far, I really appreciate it!

David, the info you posted does help me a lot in terms of price rang. Thank you.

Jan, thanks also for the information on each model and for being clear and direct. Certainly, you are absolutely right.
        Perhaps I came off as over thinking the issue. Being ignorant about organs, I wanted to know what these instruments are worth and what I might expect to pay for maintenance. Because so many organists on these forums seem to know these machines inside and out, I felt a little intimidated and wary that I might make a poor decision. One thing I would still like to know is what kind of tuning and maintenance goes into these old instruments, and what it might cost annually.

Thanks again!

Comment

Working...
        X