Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Allen Technicians, Is it Possible to add Acoustic Portrait on an MDS?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Technicians, Is it Possible to add Acoustic Portrait on an MDS?

Is it possible to "upgrade" an MDS organ to have Acoustic Protrait by replacing the ADR hardware and the console controller?

My strong suspicion and instinct is to say no. The way MichaelHoddy described the Renaissance organ cage, the reverb appears to be an integral part of the tone generation and organ control system. MDS & Ren. were totally different technologies.
    It's really just another reverb unit. You can purchase units that perform this kind of convolution reverb - and among long-time audio engineers the jury is still out on whether it's superior to a high end traditional reverb like a Lexicon - for the price of whatever Allen would charge for such an upgrade, even if it were possible. Of course, controlling the unit via MIDI, if you so desired, would be more complex. I personally never understood why organs had reverb tabs to begin with. I see no reason you'd want to turn it on and off. If the option is provided, in my opinion, there's something wrong with the way its set up. It should be "unnoticeable". I once evaluated a C8 with the feature. It was in a suburban tract house with a spacious "great room". The so called Cathedral setting sounded awful in that space. No reverb was a little too dry but not unpleasant. Only one setting sounded alright, a short delay with minimal echoes that was nothing a $100 reverb from ebay couldn't do. (Not that you couldn't make a living room truly sound like a cathedral, it would just take something like Graham Blyth's $100,000 LARES system to do it. He's the creator of Soundcraft mixers so that's pocket change to him. Fascinating vanity wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Blyth)
    Last edited by circa1949; 12-10-2011, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by circa1949 View Post
      I personally never understood why organs had reverb tabs to begin with. I see no reason you'd want to turn it on and off.
      I turn it off when practicing. Just little reverb compensates for a lack of technique. If I can get the sound I want without the reverb, I know it'll sound even better when I add it back in.
      -Admin

Allen 965
      Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
      Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
      Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

You have a point, and I hadn't thought of that.

Comment

Not only that - I sometimes say the following: "Rubato covers a multitude of sins." LOL!

Comment

Ren reverb is part of the cage and before the DAC's, so there's really no realistic way it could backfit to an MDS. It's really an integrated system. In the earlier Allens as much I can remember, the reverb lived after the DAC's- certainly in the ADC organs, and I'm pretty sure in the MDS as well.

Comment

MDS organs used ADR4, a digital reverb added after tone generation, as Michaelhoddy suggests.

There are very good reverb engines available on the market, so you can improve the reverb on an ADC or MDS organ, just not with Allen equipment. I strongly recommend reverb with speakers separate from the main organ speakers--reverb reflections are not sourced at the some location as the sound generation (i.e., the pipes don't produce the reverb, the room does). Few people, however, seem to bother to do this. I did once on a Rodgers analog, and the effect was convincing.

Toodles.

Comment

I agree about having separate drivers for the reverb sound. Many years ago I discovered that if I used a 2-channel Schober Reverbatape® device with one input terminated, it produced an output that was pure reverb. I amped and routed that channel to remote speakers and it was very effective. That option did force me to use the organ in single-channel mode if I wanted reverb on both manuals, though, so I eventually dropped the idea. (Other inexpensive multi-channel reverb units were not available back then--now, it wouldn't be a problem.)

David

Comment

Working...
                X