This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conn 720 or viscount c-300?

The conn 717 organ i was going to get disappeared, so i have to look else where. I can get a conn 720 or a viscount c-300.I know this viscount has technical problems, but despite this, which one sounds better?My dad is an engineer and knows alot about this stuff, and has access to parts.which one sounds more like a pipe organ? in simpler terms ; which one will be better then my conn 645 theatre organ(which i need to sell).what is the comparison between the viscount and the conn 720? This organ is for homeuse, if you wanted to know.

I would go with the Conn since parts are available. The Viscounts are made in Italy. Years ago I was in OKC, OK, and visited a large music store which had a lot of various brands of organs. They just had a large shipment come in of Baldwin organs. At that time Baldwin was having their organs made elsewhere with just the name Baldwin put on them. They were nothing like the old line Baldwins I had known for many years. The salesman told me they were made by Viscount which to him was the same a NO count. He said he wouldn't have one if the store gave it to him.
    Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
    Baldwin Spinet 58R
    Lowrey Spinet SCL
    Wurlitzer 4100A
    Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
    Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
    Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Our sister parish in the next county has a Conn 720, bought new way back when. There have been no problems during its life, everything works, and at this rate, it'll last many more years!

Comment

I can't speak for the Viscount, but I can speak for the Conn 720 "Artists" model.
        The 720 uses late 50's technology and was probably built either late 50's or very early 60's. Keeping this in mind, it means it has a few disadvantages for longevity from the start:
        1. Tubes, and some expensive tubes at that! The main amps have a total of four 7027A tubes, which cost about $50 a piece. My organ has about 6 tubes that emit a nice purplish-blue light (a sign of failure), however it has kept going for awhile now.
        2. Electrolytics. The 720 does have electrolytic capacitors which are prone to failure over time. (Once again, for some reason, mine keeps playing as if it were new, no idea why... it spend two very cold winters and very hot summers outside).
        3. Semi-limited sound range. The 720 has three main keyers... a "reed", "diapason", and "flutes". The flutes are beautiful, I must say that is the biggest draw for me to the 720. Angelic might be a word. The different reeds all sound fairly similar to eachtother, as do the diapasons.
        4. Unification. Many of the voices are unified. Many sound very similar to eachother, but at different volumes. For example, the oboe sounds exactly like the trompette, but quieter. Add the two together, and you have the volume of one plus the other.
        The pedals don't have the biggest voices available. There are, however, a lot of voices available. There are no solo voices for pedal, which is disappointing for a piece like Toccata and Fugue but fine for most everything else.
        The advantages:
        A 32-note concave radiating pedalboard
        2 full manuals with very nicely built keys (though I hear they are difficult to replace)
        Built-in Leslie for either flute or diapason channels, but also a tremolo light and tremolo full for the entire organ.
        Nice reverb unit for the flutes, very very light reverb for the diapasons.
        Octave couplers on the swell (but only for the solo voices).
        Cancels for the tabs
        Pedal sustain gives a fuller feeling

Overall, the 720 makes a great practice instrument, and would even be suitable for a smaller church (with the exception of longevity).
        Those are my thoughts. I hope it helps in some way.
        My instruments:
        Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
        One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
        Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
        Church:
        Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
        1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

Comment

What about String sounds on the 720? I am sure they are there, and are unified or borrowed from maybe the reed tonal source.

I really don't know anything about the Viscount organs, but I do know IF an old analog organ can be repaired although costly they can be very nice for many years.
          Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
          Baldwin Spinet 58R
          Lowrey Spinet SCL
          Wurlitzer 4100A
          Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
          Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
          Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

The strings borrow from something else also, I'm not sure what. I've heard people say that Conn strings are wonderful, but I don't really think they are anything absolutely spectacular. The Gamba on my organ does not work on the great (neither does the great trumpet or dulciana, this group of stops is all tied into one and I simply can't figure out what went bad).
            There is an Echo Salicional, Violin, and String Diapason. I do like the string diapason, it has a fuller sound. The other two are kind of just there, I don't often single them out like I do with the other voices. That is just my preference though. (I'm a disliker of real theater pipe organ strings as well, I guess I have a problem, and I admit it.)
            Also, the diapasons have three options:
            Diapason to English Diapason, which adds a slight reverb affect on my organ (I don't think every model does this).
            Diapason to String Diapason, which makes the diapason a little quieter and less filling.
            Diapason to Horn Diapason, which changes the diapason dramatically but the harmonics are not of my liking (its a narrow sound, a bit more nasily, and I think it hurts to listen to -- literally, it makes my ears cringe!)
            Also the flute has a Flute Forte, Flue Trebble, and Flute Bass boosts. I mention these last few things since, although the voices are limited, they can be varied in given parameters. This is an advantage that I enjoy having and I often use them.
            My instruments:
            Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
            One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
            Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
            Church:
            Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
            1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

Comment

Originally posted by Conn Artist^.^ View Post
              The conn 717 organ i was going to get disappeared, so i have to look else where. I can get a conn 720 or a viscount c-300.
              Too bad about the 717. That was Conn's very best . . . ever!

With Conn Artist, a higher model number doesn't necessarily correspond with the age of the instrument i.e:

700 1955

710 1957

716 1975

717 1979

720 1963

721 1969

My clear recollection of playing a rocker tab Conn Artist at a church waaaay back in 1973, wasn't a particularly positive experience. :-( Later models, like the 717, were the kind of thing I would lay awake at night, dreaming about. :-P
              Last edited by Clarion; 01-23-2012, 07:23 AM.
              2008: Phoenix III/44

Comment

Working...
              X