X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resurecting a Wurlitzer 4700 - Connecting the Leslie

Hi all,

I have just purchased a Wuritzer 4700. It came with a Leslie, but no cable to connect it. Further, when I remove the back panel of the organ, I cannot find where I would connect a cable if I had one. The Leslie has a circular plug receptor ... ten-pin I think. Can anyone advise me on this?

Other issues

- all D's below the D above middle C rang at one octave too high until I had played it for 30 minutes and that resolved - :D

- The F which is one and a half octaves above middle C does not work with regular stops. However, it does work with chimes. Any ideas how to address this?

Thanks in advance,
    TJ

You need a 9-pin Leslie cable. Female end goes to the Leslie, male end goes to the organ. Be very careful you orient the plugs correctly - they should be "keyed" but I have seen 9-pin Leslies with the center guide on the male connector broken off - very dangerous to possibly hook it up incorrectly if this is the case. There should be a 9-pin socket somewhere in the organ if a hookup kit was installed. THe 212S Leslie (if this is the one you have) was designed specifically for WUrlitzers so I imagine a hookup has already been installed??

The organ issues will need to be addressed by others more familiar with that organ than me.
    Jimmy Williams
    Hobbyist (organist/technician)
    Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

TJ & Jimmy;

I just happened to have the 4500-4700 service manual handy and found this:
      • the Leslie schematic included in the 4700 prints is for the 202;
      • the Tone Cabinet Switch schematic shows the following output sockets:
      Dual socket: 6-pins
      Pedal socket: 6-pins
      Remote socket: 9-pins
      Remote socket: 9-pins
      Echo socket: 9-pins
      Echo socket: 9-pins

This manual is for sale @ $10 + shipping. It is an original Wurlitzer factory-issued publication.

. . . Jan
      the OrganGrinder

Comment

TJ:

I recommend you get the manual for $10 from Jan--he's reliable, and the manual has complete schematics for the organ.

This organ has several different keying systems in play, the brochure described it as "pentasonic", so 5 different keyers. Some possible problems:

1. The F generator output is dead or is disconnected to the keying systems. Chimes would still sound, but would key 3 notes instead of 4, and the tone of that note wouldn't be quite right. Listen to the chimes on that note and on adjacent notes--you would be able to hear a difference.

2. 4 of the 5 keying systems are dead on that note: very unlikely.

3. The chimes diode keying matrix might have a shorted diode, so that when the chimes are off, it shorts the other keyers to ground, inhibiting their sound. If other voices sound on that note when chimes are on along with other voices and that note is played, it would indicate this sort of problem. However, if chimes inhibit all other voices, you can't tell by listening.

4. One of the diodes in the "upper ranks" keying or the chimes keying (I don't remember if they are shared) could be shorted to ground, wiping out the tone on that pitch.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head.

Toodles.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
          TJ:

I recommend you get the manual for $10 from Jan--he's reliable, and the manual has complete schematics for the organ.
          I second that. It is well worth the nominal investment, especially if you plan on keeping the organ for a while. And, please double-check what model Leslie you have and let us know. If it is a 212S I think Jan may still have a service manual for that Leslie available too.

Jan, I know some Wurlitzers were wired up for a 202 (or 202S) and some were wired for a 212S (there was no "regular" 212 model without the space generator on the pedal channel). But in looking over the manuals/schematics it seems that the 202/202S has an electronic crossover to split the pedal tones off from either the "red" or "black" manual inputs. But the 212S does not seem to have this crossover - unless I am missing something. I am just wondering if then you can plug a 212S into a socket wired up for the 202 or 202S.
          Jimmy Williams
          Hobbyist (organist/technician)
          Gulbransen Model D with Leslie 204

Comment

I will check the model numbers when I get home. This is wonderful information, thank you! I will let you know if/when I get it all straight.

Comment

Hi, Jimmy, TJ and all;

Firstly, yes, I have several Leslie 212S manuals @ $10 each + shipping. A word to the wise: I only have one of the Wurlitzer 4500-4700 manuals left.

. . . Jan
              the OrganGrinder

Comment

Hello Jan:
                I just obtained a 4700. Do you happen to have that last manual? I know it's almost a year later but if I didn't ask...
                Marcus
                PS sent as PM as well

Originally posted by Jan Girardot View Post
                Hi, Jimmy, TJ and all;

Firstly, yes, I have several Leslie 212S manuals @ $10 each + shipping. A word to the wise: I only have one of the Wurlitzer 4500-4700 manuals left.

. . . Jan
                the OrganGrinder
                Conn Serenade 632 (work)
                Wurlitzer 4700 (home)
                Yamaha MX 61 (future 'brain' of my practice/gigging rig)

Comment

Working...
                X