This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galanti Organ date of manufacture

Can you determine the date of manufacture from the serial number on Galanti organs?

Post the Model Number and Serial Number from the ID plate and maybe someone will know. There are several techs who read this forum who might know.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I have the info somewhere buried in my garage for how to do this with the Praeludiums, Chroniclers, and SL organs, but it's been a long time. On the 1980's Praeludiums, it's possible to determine the date of manufacture within a year or two just by some of the console finishing changes that happened over the production run.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, one can figure it out. I have forgotten exactly how the code is deciphered. If I see one I could sort it out. Model designation also helps.

One other way to figure it out, is by looking at the numbers on the main transformer. It tells you when the transformer was made, by week and year. Generally organ manufacture was within 2 or 3 months of that date.

AV

Comment

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/msg/2771735760.html. here is the link for the listing...it includesvpics of the console and ID plate.

Comment

Hi,

This organ is a Praeludium II. Judging from the serial number it was made in 1989, and brought into the US by Galanti Organ Builders, which was the import company of these organs at the time.

I would say that the asking price is too much. Also, the MIDI on this model does only note data in and out on the keyboards. It does not handle expression or stops or pistons.

When this model was introduced, it had the most authentic sounding stops of any organ made at the time. With half decent external audio, this model still sounds very respectable. There are still many of these organs out there, and they work fine. Parts and schematics and support are still available for this model.

AV

Comment

The whole SD card and self-playing claim in the ad is inaccurate too. It will do neither, unless an external sequencer box of some sort has been added. Still, a nice-sounding two manual, if they'll get the price down on it.

Comment

midi...note by note

Originally posted by arie v View Post
                Hi,

Yes, one can figure it out. I have forgotten exactly how the code is deciphered. If I see one I could sort it out. Model designation also helps.

One other way to figure it out, is by looking at the numbers on the main transformer. It tells you when the transformer was made, by week and year. Generally organ manufacture was within 2 or 3 months of that date.

AV
                Thanks for this valuable info....about the midi, all this being considered, would this organ handle the addition of, say, Hauptwerk?

Comment

Hi,

Addition of Hauptwerk? Yes, as long as you realize that only note data from the keyboards are sent. No expression, no pistons, no stops, etc.

One other aspect to this organ for MIDI, as that the keyboard contact system was not the best. I don't think there would have been any kind of de-bounce on that vintage organ, so you could end up with multiple triggers when trying to only play a single note.

I would suggest if you want a console to run Hauptwerk, there are better organs out there, including more recent series Ahlborn-Galanti organs.

AV

Comment

From what I remember from the Praeludiums, I think the pistons send and MIDI program changes as well, but not the individual stops.

Arie, correct me if I'm wrong, but the key contacts on these would have been the early ones which used a spring which wrapped around a buss bar. I had more trouble with these in the early Chroniclers (before they went to the sealed silicone pushbuttons) than I did in the Praeludiums. Cleaning the springs and bars certainly can help, but I agree that the key contacts can be a challenge on these organs.

Comment

Michael,

I don't know. You may be right. Do you remember at all if a GM Midi module worked with them, or the Ahlborn Archive unit? If the pistons on the organ paralleled the one on an Archive, you know that the pistons sent some kind of Midi message.

Besides, a very early Praeludium II, (either a prototype or very early production model from 1986), I did not have much to do with Galanti, until around 1998, when the company I worked for became an agent for them. By then they were into the revamped Chronicler series. I think most of the changes made in the Chronicler series were made by about 1995 or 6.

As far as I know, there are no early Chronicler series organs in my area, as no one was selling them at the time.

AV

Comment

Working...
                      X