This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does churches pay?

I am going for a master in organ I am not sure if it is a good inversion....

Any advice on the repertoire for preludes and postludes that i can build for the different church seasons like pentecost, Christmas, lent epyfani, etc.... Please does somebody has a list of preludes and postludes outlined?

help on this i want to organize myself as an organist.

If you are in an area where there is a variety of different denominations, I'd suggest you go the different church offices and ask if you could have a sampling of recent church bulletins. They usually list what is played for the preludes, postludes, and offertories. A sampling from the different denominations will give you a good sense of what the congregations are now hearing.

It seems a bit odd, though, if you are going for a masters degree in organ performance that you would not already have some experience in this area. Also, I would expect that your instructors could give you excellent guidance in this area.

Toodles.

Comment

Here's my two cents worth... Play what you like to play. As for preludes, keep the volume down a bit. You aren't playing an organ concert. The congregation is more apt to want to socialize with each other as they gather and won't be paying much attention to you.. Blasting them with some loud "bizzy" complicated work that impressed your professors at school won't fly for very long. I like to play a mix of familiar hymns, play the hymn twice and improv an intro and outro.Then mix in some Bach or familiar tunes from some of the other old school masters. (After all Bach was a church organist!) And a very good one I'm told!......Offertories, same thing ...not a concert..just background music. Try something with a sweet and light melody. For Postludes, I like to bring it up a notch, as the faithful march out into the mission fields. As for Hymns, try starting out with a fairly soft registration, then add ranks for the next verses. also trying transposing up 1/2 step for the final verse. Kinda depends on the Hymn. Some Hymns you want to go full on from the get go. Like "A Mighty Fortress" or "Jesus Christ is Ris'n Today on Easter sunday. There's nothing like the energy you feel when you join the congregation in a powerful familiar hymn! Or have tears come to your eyes while playing "Silent Night" at a Christmas eve candlelight service. It happens to me, and I'm a grouchy old codger! The most important thing is to have fun! All those thousands of hours practicing brought you this far, now it's time to have fun!

Comment

Churches does pay what churches does pay, but that varies greatly depending on where they are located.

Is English your first language? Also, could you tell us what country your church is in, and which denomination of church for which you play? That may help us help you a bit better.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Yes here to step it up a nutch Certainly all of you have given good info, denomination is Episcopal for now, Wanting to go into a catholic church which I used to play in my native country, here is a whole set of different things.

That is impressive transposing the hymn at the last verse.

Re-harmonization i love that one but unfortunately in catholic church and traditional churches they wont's accept that much that idea.

I do feel like a looser, I enter my master with only a piano background even though I am progressing now. I prepare a good audition for the University in two month and they accepted me. Now I am encourage to keep it up and prepare a program.

If I can help you guys in any thing I will do.

I got fire once because I was putting those heavy big pieces for postludes and preludes and they got mad. Imagine a Bach a minor prelude heavy one it was getting the congregation mad. People go to socialize in there. I also realize that getting church music no necessary classical but with a context of christian.

Well I am not good at improvisation and I see and heard that in the catholic churches and in many denominations the pastor or priest start chanting and the organist need to follow.

So far I have put this together

Lent March 11 or lent 2

Prelude : Bach: O Mensch, bewein' dein Suende gross

Postlude : Praeludium in C BuxWV 137 by Dieterich Buxtehude.

The one by Dieterich fits very well for a postlude as it has been describe my micheal guys, a piece more upbeat so people can go home to create a good doormat program in the mind to start the week on Mondays. Bach is quite which in accord to michael description.

I was thinking on going to different churchs and see what they are up to.

another thing i was a choir director in a church and there was a problem I had to face, there was not enough member in the choir to feel out the SATB voices. Many times I only had SA in the choir and man what a thing. What do you guys do in that case where you mostly have music for SATB and there are only SA in the choir?

Managing a choir require Personal Skills as well, They can through you off and things can get out of control. I think i need to skills on managing people as well and maintaining a leader position.

do you guys have any other different pieces for that Day on march 11 for preludes and postludes?

Comment

Working...
          X