X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 AGO convention in Chicago

July 2-6 2006. See here for a list of exhibitors:

http://www.agohq.org/2006/html/exhibitors.html

Of note are the pipe organ companies there in addition to the digital ones.

<font color="red">Marshall & Ogletree </font> will be there, but surprisingly, <font color="blue">Phoenix</font> is <font color="brown">NOT</font> on the list<font color="red">!!!</font> That would have been a good time to compare different organs, and to hear Phoenix in person, to see why so many people on this forum are in love with them. Oh well.

I'm planning on going.

Re: 2006 AGO convention in Chicago

I'll be going as well!

We should have a OrganForum get together in Chicago for this event!

Comment

>We should have a OrganForum get together in Chicago for this event!

Sounds good to me. Do you have to be a member of AGO to go, I wonder?

Comment

well I don't think you have to be a member to go to the concerts, but then you'd probably have to pay, i'm not really sure.

I very much enjoy my membership in the AGO, one, to get the American Organist Magazine which is quite useful, and two to be made aware of local organ events... I'm in the New York City chapter, the Southern Indiana Chapter, as well as the Louisville, Kentucky chapter. I will probably join the Bloomington, IN (Indiana University) chapter as well at some point.

The local AGO chapters are excellent ways of not only getting to know the local organists and organs but also to help your local community build awareness of the pipe organ... something I'm very active presently at here in Southern Indiana.

Comment

as well as a great 'meat market' right?
          lol

Comment

What kind of things would a young organist see or do that would make it worthwhile going? This is our backyard so we should be able to attend if it seems worthwhile

Comment

Buzzy, you are bad, but I must admit that I have made many "friends" through the AGO!
              Mike

Comment

Gee, another reason to attend! ;-)
                Gary

Wurlitzer/Viscount C-380 3 manual with Conn pipes.

Comment

>What kind of things would a young organist see or do that would make it worthwhile going? This is our backyard so we should be able to attend if it seems worthwhile

I believe there will be a number of concerts associated with the convention. Attending those could have two effects on a young organist. 1) Depressing someone who thinks they will never be able to attain that level of proficiency or 2) Incite someone to practice all the more to obtain that level of proficiency.

In addition, with all the organ companies attending, you will be able to play their instruments and compare sound quality and playability. Of course, that probably applies mostly to the digital organ makers. You will also be able to ask questions of the companies' reps who are there. And they will probably have free literature and demo CDs to give out.

Comment

Concerts would probably be nice, if we would go to the whole convention we would end up paying over $700 since I would have to go with him. Too bad there isn't a better deal for students!

Comment

>Concerts would probably be nice, if we would go to the whole convention we would end up paying over $700 since I would have to go with him. Too bad there isn't a better deal for students!

Where did you get the $700 figure? And who is "him"?

Comment

Thought I saw price for non-AGO members for the whole convertion around $350 per person. "Him" is my 11 year son who is the actual piano and organ player. Since he is so young I would not want him at a convention by himself. But he is the person who would benefit most trying out the different organs.

Comment

I am surprised there isn't a student price. I always thought there woud be. Here in Pittsubrgh, region III, I think we did have a student rate. But not quite sure.

Comment

When we (Pittsburgh) hosted the Region III convention a few years ago (I think), I did not sign up for the event. But I went to the first Program which were all open to the public. WELL! I was to taken by the full house, the sound of all the singing, the fantastic organ program, that I called off work for 3 days and signed up. With some of the workshops to go to, organ companies to talk to, the magnificant programs to here, it became one of the best times I ever had. One of the programs was with organ and percussion soloist. The percussionist must have had 10 or more instruments. This program was so phonominal, his performance and what the organanist did on the organ was indescribable.

The turnout for this convention was the largest Pittsburgh has had.

When I was more active in our local chapter, there was a lot of inspiration to receive. Unfortunately, dealing with small churches, they were not up to experiencing anything new.

Comment

Working...
                            X