This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rogers parts

A friend of mine has a Rodgers 220,a relatively older organ,his power switch is erratic and needs replaced,He called Rodgers to see if he could get one from them,They of course told him he had to contact his local dealer .... to get one, the dealer told him it would cost $400.00 to get the power switch installed,actually a simple job as I have replaced Rodgers power switches before...
    Last edited by Admin; 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: removed information to protect identities
    anonimoose

I don't know if this is a new policy for Rodgers, but it's no different than what Allen has been doing for years. From a business standpoint I suppose it makes sense. Channel the repairs through the dealer network to provide them with additional income and the opportunity for an upsell.

Keeping repair costs artificially high might have, at one time, provided an owner with the motivation for replacing an older instrument, but today is more likely to result in the organ being abandoned. A friend of mind picked up a 3 manual analog Rodgers for nothing from a church who had been quoted over $4000 to repair it. They just decided to dump it. When he tried to get a service manual from the factory, he was told he had to got through the local dealer. The dealer basically blew him off and didn't return his calls. Through persistance, he finally got the factory to provide him with schematics. After investing about $100 in off the shelf parts, the organ is playing perfectly.
    -Admin

Allen 965
    Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
    Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
    Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by Admin View Post
      I don't know if this is a new policy for Rogers, but it's no different than what Allen has been doing for years. From a business standpoint I suppose it makes sense. Channel the repairs through the dealer network to provide them with additional income and the opportunity for an upsell.

Keeping repair costs artificially high might have, at one time, provided an owner with the motivation for replacing an older instrument, but today is more likely to result in the organ being abandoned. A friend of mind picked up a 3 manual analog Rogers for nothing from a church who had been quoted over $4000 to repair it. They just decided to dump it. When he tried to get a service manual from the factory, he was told he had to go through the local dealer. The dealer basically blew him off and didn't return his calls. Through persistance, he finally go the factory to provide him with schematics. After investing about $100 in off the shelf parts, the organ is playing perfectly.
      [A] dealer had their repairman work on a Roland Atelier AT 70 and told the customer that they needed a new motherboard on their organ to repair it and it would cost over $1000.00 for the part,I obtained the organ ..... opened it up and replaced 2 fuses that were missing and it has been playing fine since then....
      Last edited by Admin; 05-09-2012, 06:21 AM. Reason: to protect identities
      anonimoose

Comment

Gentlemen, please!

Show some respect to the "father*" of the Rodgers Organ Company by spelling the name correctly: RODGERS.

* Rodgers Jenkins

. . . Jan
        the OrganGrinder

Comment

Originally posted by tkosiorek View Post
          [A] dealer had their repairman work on a Roland Atelier AT 70 and told the customer that they needed a new motherboard on their organ to repair it and it would cost over $1000.00 for the part,I obtained the organ ..... opened it up and replaced 2 fuses that were missing and it has been playing fine since then
          In the repair business, the estimator has to estimate the worst thing it could be. Thus a $1000 estimate for a mainboard doesn't annoy me. If they actually charged that much for changing 2 fuses, it would be annoying.
          I could never dream of playing in this organ hobby on my income, for 40 year or so. The $4000 for this H100 was more than a convertible Mustang back when I was eyeing Pintos I couldn't afford. However, with all the free trash floating around now, it is possible to take a flyer at an organ. Learning how to fix it oneself is what makes it all possible. $400 for a power switch! That is a rich man's game. I would put a switch in from the hardware store, if I had to make a transition plate out of steel or something. Of course, the music committee at church would go berserk if their precious 2 manual Rodgers wasn't "all original".
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

That was a typo in the heading,I spelled it correctly in the body
            anonimoose

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
              In the repair business, the estimator has to estimate the worst thing it could be. Thus a $1000 estimate for a mainboard doesn't annoy me. If they actually charged that much for changing 2 fuses, it would be annoying.
              A botched diagnosis (a $1000 mainboard rather than pair of 50 cent fuses) caused this customer to abandon an organ that was perfectly functional and worth much more than the zero amount that she received for it. That outcome is more than annoying--it borders on the criminal.

Comment

I'm kind of disturbed at some of what I'm hearing...I wonder if Rodgers is aware people are unhappy about a lot of the dealers and repair technicians. Last fall I was quoted $200 to replace the pads under the organ keys on both manuals, which seemed fair to me because it's rather time-consuming I hear. I got busy and didn't do it, and now I can't seem to find that tech. I called Rodgers and got the name of a dealer/repair person. When I called them I was told I'd have to haul my 700lb. organ in to their facility on the other side of town (40 min. away) and then they would charge me $750 for the job!! Plus another $450 for the pedals if they need it. He told me in a tone that said "I really don't like to do this". He's not going to get a chance to, either!! I have a technical manual coming and I think this is something I can probably do myself.
                Jennifer

Comment

Originally posted by tkosiorek View Post
                  ... and replaced 2 fuses that were missing and it has been playing fine ...
                  What bothers me most is that he says the fuses were missing, not blown.

Greg

Comment

Working...
                  X