This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bunches of Allen amps for sale on ebay

Unless I'm missing something in the description of this auction....here is a Allen amp rack with 12 of what looks to be their 100 watt amplifiers....$250 what a deal!
    http://www.--------/itm/Amp-Rack-for...b#ht_500wt_919

I had 14 of these and gave them to a scrap metal recycler. They were 110V, definitely not suitable for 240volts mains here, and it was not worth getting a step down transformer for them.

Comment

Looks like the auction was pulled with 1 day left...maybe some one offered him a packaged deal to buy since he had another auction with similar stuff......I like those amps better then the Rodgers s100's.....seems that Allens were a pure 100 watts whereas the Rodgers seemed weak IMO

Comment

Wrote to the guy asking what happened to the auction....his response....

"As it turns out, the guy that was going to buy the organ that the amp goes to (he did not want the amp, most of the speakers nor SSDS Tonal Cabinet) is floundering. Until he decides that he will go thru with the deal, I?ve decided to not sell the components of the organ yet. This way the organ will still be complete and I can sell as an entire instrument. If he moves forward, I will relist.

Regards, "

As far as the questionable value mentioned above....you would have to take in the considerations of not only the amps value(s) but that they are already in a nice sturdy looking shelf system with most of the wiring intact.....I guess one could go out and buy "commercial" pro audio amps at a couple hundred dollars a pop and "buy" a rack mount case for a couple hundred dollars more to mount the rack-mountable amps in and then spend some great time into cleanly wiring everything up.......or at least for the starting bid pay 250.......

Comment

I have a large collection of heat sinks from dead motor drives. I've found 120W 70v transformers for $10. LM3886 ICs are $7. A steel box, a few capacitors and resistors, a fuse, all done. No thanks.
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
            I have a large collection of heat sinks from dead motor drives. I've found 120W 70v transformers for $10. LM3886 ICs are $7. A steel box, a few capacitors and resistors, a fuse, all done. No thanks.
            Yeah I wouldn't do that for a Hammond either and I have 3 or 4 of them

Comment

I'd prefer to get something modern like this for about $260

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT8000C...Mono-Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/PT8000CH-8000-.../dp/B002UL0XIQ

Those Allen amp racks weigh a ton - and they don't accept normal line levels so you need a microphone preamp for each if you want to use them with non Allen organs

Comment

Originally posted by Momboc View Post
                Those Allen amp racks weigh a ton - and they don't accept normal line levels so you need a microphone preamp for each if you want to use them with non Allen organs
                Funny you should say that....I prefer to actually route all my audio outs through to a mixer (sound board) since then I'm free to EQ, assign to different group outs, set levels and so on and so forth....but that's my background....most organ owners have to trust in the fact that what ever organ that they have and whomever set it up knows how to acoustically voice the room, inputs, outputs let alone the individual stop voices on the organ. I can't even imagine having that handicap! (audio ignorance)
                On the other hand, I was just mentioning those amps to anyone that might be in need of some for their project.

Comment

Originally posted by Momboc View Post
                  I'd prefer to get something modern like this for about $260

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PT8000C...Mono-Amplifier

http://www.amazon.com/PT8000CH-8000-.../dp/B002UL0XIQ

You have it backwards--the MOS1 organs had low-level audio outputs (well below normal line level) and the amplifiers had ADDITIONAL gain versus the typical audio amp. Simply turning down the gain control, bypassing the preamp stage, or using an attenuator would allow them to work just fine with line-level inputs.

In defense of Allen's amplifiers and racks, I will point out the following:

1. The amplifiers are simple and robust in design, and they can easily be repaired in the event of a failure. (Yes, Allen does publish the schematics for them.)

2. The amplifiers are convection-cooled, so one does not have to put up with the gentle whir of cooling fans that are almost universal in the modern, compact rack-mount amps.

Don

Comment

Working...
                  X