Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers from 86 World's Fair Vancouver, BC Swell and Choir voices won't sound

A local church was given (from another church) the Rodgers 3-manual organ that was apparently used at the 86 World's Fair in Vancouver. It has external speakers with fake pipes mounted on top, little speakers in the top of each pipe. There's a Baldwin amp driving each of the two speaker/pipe units. (Maybe the organ is even a Baldwin, there's no name on it but for some reason I thought it a Rodgers).

The Swell voices work fine and can be coupled down to all manuals. The pedal voices work fine. The Great and Choir voices do not sound tho when I put the Great/Ped expression pedal right down I can hear the Great voices - they seem to be coming out of the top of the fake pipes but very faintly.

Any suggestions?

How do you take the back off? I wonder if there's a balance control in there or something that can be adjusted to turn up the Gt and Ch voices.

thanks for any help you can give.

It would really help if you could get us some info on this organ. The pipes sound like they could be Conn pipes and maybe the organ too?
    Under the keyboard bed and above your knees sometimes there is a tag/plate giving info on make, model of organ. Otherwise it most likely would be on the back. I say Conn because of the pipes although you could put those pipes on any electric organ but also because Rodgers, Allen and Baldwin would customerly have their name plate on the front of the organ. Conn is the only one that I have ran across that some have the "decal" name somewhere on the front or no decal at all

Comment

I'll have another look at it, see if I can find the manufacturer.

Comment

cnr1949 and all:

" little speakers in the top of each pipe" tells me they are Baldwin speaker units. The Conn 'electronic pipes' sat atop boxes containing 6" x 9" speakers. Saville also got into that game, with their "tubs and tubes", back in The Day. Still later, Johannus had their pipeorgel frontens and Allen does the same, today.

A photo of this unknown would get the job done: can do?

. . . Jan
        the OrganCenter
        Last edited by Jan Girardot; 08-21-2012, 09:45 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Wow Jan,
          I didn't know that Baldwin had speaker pipes as well. In fact I have searched the "net" high and low and can't find one image of any. Not that I don't believe you but I would really like to see pics of them...and other organ manufactures pipes (speaker) as well. Just curious how different companies competed in this field. Thanks for the info!

Comment

Hamman,

See this recent thread: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...5-Pipe-Speaker

I think the CL link in that thread is still active, but here's a picture from it showing some of the Baldwin pipes.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	5I55Fa5H23E83La3F3c83561cf60e9df61315.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	586060
            Rick B.

Allen R-311D
            Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
            Gulbransen Pacemaker
            Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
            Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

OK, I have confirmed that it's a Baldwin 645, so any idea why the Gt and Choir won't play?

Comment

Wow! Those are huge pipes! Thanks for the link.
                Originally posted by psrick View Post
                Hamman,

See this recent thread: http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...5-Pipe-Speaker

I think the CL link in that thread is still active, but here's a picture from it showing some of the Baldwin pipes.
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]6406[/ATTACH]

Comment

Lemme take a guess...those channels are not hooked up? That model came out in 1989 and wasn't, IMO their best church organ effort.

The "pipes" stacked in the corner are producing their best sound, ie. silence.

. . . Jan
                  the OrganGrinder

Comment

Well thats an "A.G" Hymnal on the organ :-)

Comment

Working...
                    X