X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking notes on Allen

Hi All,

After transporting my Allen Renaissance organ to my new home, it has developed a problem with notes sustaining or "sticking" randomly on any of the manuals. It does not occur every time I play it, but quite frequently. I have read other threads that talk about this in regards to "cards" on an ADC model that need to be reseated in the back of the organ. Does that apply at all to the Renaissance line? I am convinced that some component in the organ has jiggled loose during the move. I have carefully removed and reseated all the cable connectors inside the organ, but that did not help. I also reinitialized the organ and that seemed to help for awhile, but then the note sticking started again. Any suggestions?

I see you have no answers, and I'm no professional, so I'll take a stab at it. Did you check to see if somehow a keyboard was raised slightly (or even the reed switch rail)? Also, is it isolated to only one manual, or all manuals--not sure how many you have.

I had a problem with the pedals on one of my organs, and it was because I lost a caster in the move. Once I lifted that corner of the organ, everything worked fine. The same thing happened once when I replaced a reed switch on one of the keyboards.

Random thoughts, but might get you to thinking?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Re: Sticking Notes on Allen

Thanks, Michael, for your suggestion. No, I don't think there is a keyboard issue because I have 3 manuals and it happens randomly on all 3. It doesn't appear to happen in the pedal. Usually if a note starts sustaining in one manual, then hitting notes on other manuals join in and sustain also. It seems to be a software issue and not anything physical.

I would like to check the boards in the cage and make sure they are all properly seated, but not really sure what "the cage" looks like in the back of the organ, ha! I'll have to open up the back of the organ again and see if I can locate a series of circuit boards all in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by trumpenchamade View Post
        I would like to check the boards in the cage and make sure they are all properly seated, but not really sure what "the cage" looks like in the back of the organ, ha! I'll have to open up the back of the organ again and see if I can locate a series of circuit boards all in a row.
        I'm not sure about Renaissance organs and cages. I've never seen the insides of Allen's organs post-ADC/MDS, so I'm not sure if they're lined up in a row or a circle, if at all!

Not sure if you're up to it, but you could take photos of the insides of your organ and post in your gallery here on the Forum. All you have to do is go to the Gallery tab at the top of the page and post your photos with descriptions. I'm certainly curious. My photos are posted here, and some sound files here, but I don't think they will help you as the technology is much older than yours.

I look forward to hearing the solution to your troubles. Sorry I couldn't help more.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

TC,

What you are describing is a common Renaissance problem that occurs when the power supply is unable to adequately power the LED's in the optical keying system. The system was designed with plenty of capacity for these lights, but there are some connections inside the power supply chassis that become less than perfectly conductive as the components age. If I'm not mistaken, it's a +5 volt line that gets intermittent and causes this issue.

The true cure is to have an Allen tech return the power supply to Allen for renovation. If the organ is out of warranty that will cost money, of course. If the organ is less than 10 years old, it will be free except for the tech's charges to remove and replace.

It might be possible, if you are very careful and if you are confident about dealing with electronic equipment, to open up the power supply enclosure and look for a faulty connection in there. I can't remember which connector is the usual culprit or what it looks like. But most likely you'll see some plug-in connectors in the supply and might accidentally find the one that is causing the problem. I don't think any soldering is involved, just pulling the connector apart, perhaps burnishing the pins a little, coating the mating surfaces with Vaseline to discourage future corrosion, and plugging back together.

Considering the value of a 3m Renaissance organ, it might be worthwhile to have this power supply properly renovated by Allen. Some dealers even keep a spare supply on hand and will simply exchange yours for their spare so you don't have any down time.

Please post your results.
          John
          ----------
          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks, all, for your suggestions and comments.

I had the power supply replaced by the dealer, and indeed the problem has vanished. Hopefully if others have this problem with their Renaissance models, they will see this thread and know what to do to fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
            X