This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Johannus Sweelinck 37 (discontinued) Review

I am seriously considering buying the Sweelinck 37 advertised for sale on this board. I have spent days searching for a sound demo or a serious review of this organ and am very surprised that Johannus being a huge organ maker I can find neither a review or a sound demo that shows the organs capability. Does anyone have experience of this organ or can direct me to a review?

The one here listed for sale does NOT have the external speakers and sub-woofer - just the internal speakers as it has been used in a confined space, and I have ascertained that I woulkd need add these to get a realistic pipe sound, but other than that I have come up blank. So anything you guys can offer is great. It also appears to have enough MIDI capability for a Huapwerk upgrade.

Thanks Mike
    ( And if you are wonering about my user name it is beacuse as a young lad I was choirmaster understudy and played on a Willis organ in the village of Wing, Buckinghamshire.)

Hi,

Yes the Sweelink would be possible as a controller for Hauptwerk.

Also, you are correct in thinking that external speakers make the organ sound so much better.

I have installed and voiced a number of Johannus organs including the Sweelink 37, and with external speakers along with a good setup and voicing, sound pretty good.

AV

Comment

I've also installed and serviced a few of the Sweelinck series and find them to be quite good organs for not a lot of money. If I recall correctly, the models ending in "7" are a fairly recent vintage, with some excellent sounds and considerable voicing capability using the Intonat software. They have a very elaborate capture system and a lot of player-friendly features rivaling rather expensive models from the major builders.

I put one into a smallish church with a stone floor, brick walls, and a high wooden ceiling, and didn't even add external speakers. It sounds quite amazing. So it depends on your acoustic space as to whether or not the sound will be OK with only the internal speakers. Most installations I've seen have included external speakers, though, and they were beneficial.

If you are in the UK, you are at least fairly near the source, so you should be able to get reliable factory support if needed. At times I have been a little frustrated here in the US having to communicate with a factory across the Atlantic and with a language barrier too! But I must add that they have always been very helpful and generally send us parts when we need them without delay. An email to the factory usually brings a prompt reply (in English).

I'd surely be delighted to have one of these organs at home or even at church.
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi All,

I am from the Netherlands. You said Johannus is a huge organ maker...well, that is what they clame...but the truth is that Johannus dismissed lately at least 20 employees. Johannus don't sell any organ to churches anymore in Holland.
        It seems to us (Holland) that the today sound quality getting worse, to compare by 15, 20 years back.
        The consoles of Johannus looks nice, but the wood constructions are not very stable, and sometimes fragile I'm afraid.
        Even Content organs sounds better. If a church want to install an digital organ in stead of a pipe organ, than they choose Allen.

Gerrit

Comment

The Honannus speakers, UL2700 for this organ I find are about $450 each so that is nearly $3000. Will other speakers go like home theater sets?

Comment

You can use any decent speakers if they are up to the task of handling the power and frequency range. I think that model may have either 5 or 6 manual channels and 1 sub-woofer channel. Manual channels need a decent full-range speaker, but do not carry much bass, so an 8" woofer plus tweeter should be sufficient. The sub channel needs to feed a 15" woofer. You can certainly get good pro sound speakers for a lot less than the cost of the Johannus branded speakers.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Hi,

To save money, you may want to check with some Johannus dealers to see if they have any UL-110 speakers left. These are discontinued models now, but originally came with the Sweelink organs.
              Also, if considering this organ, have a look to see whether it has the speaker switch on it, so the organ can be played by internals, externals or both. If not, you will only be able to play the internals, or disconnect the internals and add externals. Unless you understand the way the switching is done, and are handy at electronics, don't attempt to do it yourself. It may be possible to get the switching unit as part of an aftersales kit.

Regarding using non-Johannus speakers, make sure you get efficient speakers with impedance of between 4 and 8 ohms. Typical bookshelf speakers tend to sound wimpy on these organs. For the 6 upper channels, you don't need a frequency response going below about 150 Hz., as the sub-woofer takes care of everything below that.

Just a reminder, in my experience with electronic organs, cheap or low cost speakers do not help out the sound of the organ.

AV

Comment

Working...
              X