This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen 301 amps, DAC board

Was messin' around on the backside of the Allen 301 tonight - only intention was to make "quick connects" for the speaker wires...
    Well, since I tend to fiddle with things, thought I'd take the back panel off and take a peek inside. I've already installed a reverb, so takin' a peek inside isn't new...
    Seems to me that that organ is rated at 300 watts, but I only see 2 amps. Figured those amps were rated @ 100 watts each...Raised the top of the console, but don't see another amp anywhere...
    Also, noticed 2 bass adjustment stems sticking out of the DAC board on the main and flute side...don't know if I should fiddle with them without advisement...Was looking for some sort of gain control to possibly boost the volume on the pedal division...
    Also, on the left side of the swell manual, there's a voicing control knob that doesn't seem to do anything when rotated...the light above it doesn't work, either...

Well, that's my thoughts right now...Looking for some comments from you folks...

Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
    Allen 301-C

Moe,

The bass boost controls on the DAC will boost the low end of the output of each channel. If you want more pedal sound, try adjusting the "flute" channel bass boost, since all pedal stops are in that channel and most of the pedal energy is in the bass region. Don't be afraid to swing the control all the way through its range to see what it does. No harm in trying and it is not critical where you leave it. You may get just the effect you're wanting by tinkering with it. If the bass boost is already maxed out, it may be that your speakers are not doing the job in the lowest octave. You can also get more pedal by turning up the volume on the flute amp, but of course that will also increase the volume of the flute stops too.

The "voicing" knob on the console is nothing more than a rudimentary treble control. If you draw a mixture and hold down a note while rotating the knob, you should be able to tell that the "mellow" setting rolls off the treble somewhat and the "bright" setting boosts the treble. You can set it wherever it sounds best to you.

The "300 watts" rating of the console has nothing to do with the amps. There are only two amps in a MOS1 console, and each one is nominally a 100 watt amp, but nobody thinks these amps will actually be pumping out that much power under any normal circumstances. The 300 watts required by the console are mostly to cover the various power supplies. As a matter of fact, when you press a piston you may see the lights dim in the room as the organ draws a whole lot more than 300 watts for the brief time it takes to activate the magnets in the tabs.

Keep on exploring in there. It's a very interesting system and you can't hurt it as long as you don't unhook anything with the organ powered up. Always be sure to discharge static electricity from your body before poking around in there though.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

John:
      Thanks for your comment...nice to see that you're an Allen tech, so I'll take your advisement under high consideration...
      I did rotate those stems, but didn't check to see if the bass was any louder...just set them back where they were...
      The speakers are a pair of HC-12's, and seem to be in fine shape...
      I'm assuming the light above the voicing knob is a "power on" light...could be the bulb is burned out, but the pedalboard lamp does light, so that's my signal that I forgot to switch off the organ when I'm powered down in my recliner...
      I'm not critical of the amp situation...there's enough power in those 2 amps to drive the neighbors crazy...just figured there be another one hidden somewhere...

Thanks again, John...
      Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
      Allen 301-C

Comment

Jerry,

Some 301 organs did come with another amp for a bass channel speaker, but that was an extra add on option. If it were in yours, it would most likely be hanging from a side wall of the console. Yes, the lamp above the voicing control is the power on light. Just put a new bulb in the one I have here. Every John says is right on the money.
        Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

Hi Larry,
          Think you told me you added an extra amp to the 301 you just sold to the lady in Yooperland...
          Really ain't complainin' about the 301...never really knew how well-built the Allen's were, until I bought this 33 year old one...and I think it will outlive me...

- - - Updated - - -
          Last edited by MoeTrucker; 01-04-2013, 07:49 PM.
          Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
          Allen 301-C

Comment

Jerry,

I did not add the bass amp to that 301; it was equipped with it as a factory option. That amp was dead though, and that was one of the issues that the previous owners did not want to fix. I watched my CL around the region, and picked up a free T-12B with a working S-50 amp in it. I swapped out the dead S-100 bass amp in the 301 with the S-50 from the T-12. The S-50 amp ( 50 watts ) is plenty of amp for the bass channel on the 301, in most rooms.

Now I have a T-12B here with no amp and no speakers ( the church it came from wanted to keep the Gyros, for the Happy Clappy guitarist ! ) . It's not good for much, but it is too nice to throw out !

I also have a spare S-100 amp that is dead. Might try to fix it someday, when I have nothing else to do. Or sell it.

Your 301 probably does not Need an extra bass channel / amp for a home installation. But it is easy to add if you ever want to do so. You need an amp, a crossover, and a speaker for it. And the cables to hook it all together. On your C console, I'm not sure where they put the third amp when one was set up that way. On the B console it is on the left side upper inside wall of the console. Just look at the innards of your console - there may be an empty spot somewhere inside as big as the footprint of an amp, with a wood strip already in place to hold the one edge of the amp. Could well be on a side wall, because the amps don't care if they are horizontal or vertical.

The lady from Yooperland is coming to pick up her 301 on Sat the 12th. She is really Jazzed about the whole deal.

Drive Safe, Keep the shiny side up, and the greasy side down. Otherwise you will need one of us Draggin Wagon guys !
            Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

That T-12 might make a good starting console for a Hauptwerk system...that was my intention when I bought this 301.
              But changed my mind kinda quick when I realized it was too nice of an instrument to convert...

Oh yeah, 800 bucks to drag one of our Pete's with a hazmat load 40 miles to Indianapolis Tuesday night...yeah, and guess who had to bump his schedule up 10 hrs. to rescue the KY load he was supposed to pickup and bring it back to Saginaw...this old fart made it back to Saginaw an hr. early...the legalities of my marathon ain't up for discussion here...got a bunch of "atta boys" and that's about it...
              Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
              Allen 301-C

Comment

Working...
              X