X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Model 705-D

Greetings to all:

I have rescued an Allen 705-D from being discarded. I already have a Gulbransen 380-X and a Rodgers 605. The Allen has 6 amps and 9 speakers. (3 MOS 2 computers.) Only one of the speakers (HC12) was actually making sound. All the others have rotted foam. The kits to replace the foam look interesting and I intend to order a couple to see how they work.

For testing I intend to take the audio outputs of the console into a mixing board. The instrument has DAC-4's in it.

I was curious if anyone has a 705-D service manual. I would like to see a print on the Stopboard Array.

Any advise would be appreciated.
    Kindest Regards - Marc-Paul
    *Allen 705-D * Rodgers 605 * Gulbransen 380-X*

Welcome to the Forum,
    I have successfully replaced the speaker foam of two Wurlitzer Omni 7000 organ woofers. Go for it. See attached images - before and after. Sorry, I can't help you with the service manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	587258Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	587259
    AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
    Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

Which replacements did you use?

Originally posted by skippy View Post
      Welcome to the Forum,
      I have successfully replaced the speaker foam of two Wurlitzer Omni 7000 organ woofers. Go for it. See attached images - before and after. Sorry, I can't help you with the service manual.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8582[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]8583[/ATTACH]
      I be interested to know which companys foam you used.
      Kindest Regards

Comment

See these threads:

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l=1#post300873

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...foam+surrounds
        -Admin

Allen 965
        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaTech View Post
          I be interested to know which companys foam you used.
          Kindest Regards
          Here is where I got the surrounds: http://www.speakerbits.com/index.php...=22&Itemid=146
          AS FAR AS ORGANS ARE CONCERNED - I'M A GOOD MECHANIC AND A HOPELESS DRIVER.
          Hammond C3 & M102 & Elegante & PR40. Yamaha D85 & D65 & FS30 & MC600 & GX76. Thomas Celebrity Royale 871, Kawai T5 & E550, Conn 643 & 632 & 552.Lowrey H25R2. Elka EP12. Orla D6180, Wurlitzer 4430 & Omni 7000 & 555. Roland D70 & RA90 . Ferrofish B4000+. Leslie 145 & 705 & 710 & 720

Comment

Thanks guys and gals for the help... I am well on the way to making this 705-D fully functional. So far I have swaped boards and found out I need a Stop Array 2 904-5635 and a SDDS MOS Interface 904-5644-1. No luck on e-Bay. I know what the Stop Array 2 does... but I have no idea what the SDDS MOS Interface does. Can anyone enlighten me? And... aside from e-Bay and here... does anyone have a suggestion for finding circut cards?
            Kindest Regards.

Comment

SDDS MOS Interface board sits between the SDDS Mux (keyboard multiplexer) and the Keyboard Array Unit

Click image for larger version

Name:	MOSKeyMux.jpg
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	587279

It deserializes the data stream from the multiplexer and provides intermanual coupling capability.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Thankyou so much for this... it will greatly help me figure out what chips need to be replaced. I was just quoted $800.00 to repair a single board. I have to tell you that I was astonished.
                Kindest Regards.

Comment

Thanks guys and gals for the help... I am well on the way to making this 705-D fully functional. So far I have swaped boards and found out I need a Stop Array 2 904-5635 and a SDDS MOS Interface 904-5644-1. No luck on e-Bay. I know what the Stop Array 2 does... but I have no idea what the SDDS MOS Interface does. Can anyone enlighten me? And... aside from e-Bay and here... does anyone have a suggestion for finding circut cards?
                  Kindest Regards.
                  WichitaTech,

I may have a source for you. Send me a private message, and I'll provide the information.

Michael
                  Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                  • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                  • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                  • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Kindest Regards.
                    WichitaTech,

Also, the Stopboard Array and SDDS MOS Interface cards are the same as on my 505B, but the Schematic number may be different. My Stopboard Array Schematic Number is: 081-6067. The SDDS MOS Interface Schematic Number is: 081-8156. If your numbers match, you may be able to look for a 505 card, and perhaps even a 305 card of the same number. JBird604 can say for sure.

Michael
                    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
                    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
                    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
                    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Witchita,

The SDDS MOS board is the same no matter which MOS-2 organ it's in, so you might find one from some other MOS-2 organ being scrapped. The smallest MOS-2 organs that have a single computer do NOT have this board in them, so you must get one from a 505 or larger. All MOS-2 organs with more than one computer will have this board in each of the systems. There is just one SDDS-MUX board that intercepts keying data from the console and passes it on to each of the SDDS-MOS boards.

The Stopboard Array 2 is used in all MOS-2 organs, and I'm quite sure they are all identical in every way. So you might have better luck finding one of these on ebay or elsewhere.

These boards are probably repairable and the logic chips on them are or were common parts. If you can trace the problem to a particular incoming or outgoing signal line, you might zero in on the bad chip on either board. Allen probably charges a hefty fee to repair or exchange these boards, but they certainly will do it for you.

I assume you've already learned that you can freely swap the boards around among the A, B, and C computer systems in that organ. Of course each MOS board has it's unique EPROMs in both the mixture and sub-octave sockets, and the Keyboard Array of the C computer has a different S-151 chip in the socket that provides the unique scale breaks of the mixtures. So you can swap things around until you are absolutely certain that a given board is bad. The C computer is the one that I'd leave disabled if I had to do without one for a while since it only provides the mixtures. Not that mixtures are unimportant, but the marvelous chorus and celeste that you get from the subtle de-tuning between A and B systems is just wonderful.

In a pinch, you can actually move the EPROMs from the C computer into the mixture sockets on the A and B MOS boards and you will get some kind of mixtures. I have done this in the past and played around with them, but don't recall exactly what you have to do. Keep notes so you will be sure to put the correct EPROMs back when you finally get all the systems up and running.

That 705 is one great organ, far more organ than the others that you mention. We service one in a nearby church and it sounds amazing. The big 1105 that my business partner plays on Sundays is little more than a 705 with a choir division added using a fourth MOS-2 computer set. We have customized the 1105 quite a bit, tinkered with the celeste tuning deviations, the tremulant speed and depth (depth is adjusted by moving some jumpers on the keyboard array socket, as I recall), etc. The tremulant can be made to wobble like a theatre organ if you want it to!

Keep us updated on your progress!
                      John
                      ----------
                      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thankyou so much John for this information. I appreciate all the help I have received. I studied both classical and theatre organ. On of my teachers was Billy Nalle who studied both classical and jazz at Julliard. Jazz with Teddy Wilson. I also am a certified tech. and have done board level repair. Lots and lots of troubleshooting.

As I mentioned previously.... I was quoted $800 for factory repair on the two boards I believe to be bad in my system. I had already done what you suggested by making the two channels that work A & B. I was very interested in you statement that "jumpers could be changed" to increase the tremulant depth. My question is... does anyone know what those jumpers are on a Keyboard Array 2? I am sure I could repair the boards if I had a schematic. I may try anyway.

My end result when I believe I have the system stablized... is to add the Zuma Group Midi for MOS 2... as I have been developing instruments in jOrgan for Classical and Theatre for over 10 years.
                        Kindest Regards to all...

Comment

Wichita,

Send me a private message with your email address and I'll try sending you scans of the appropriate information. With your experience you should be able to do this repair. The changing of the trem depth must be pretty easy as I don't recall doing anything except clipping some leads to a few pins on the card edge connectors. My buddy ran wires to some blank stop tabs and labeled them "theatre trems" or something like that.
                          John
                          ----------
                          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thankyou so much for this... it will greatly help me figure out what chips need to be replaced. I was just quoted $800.00 to repair a single board. I have to tell you that I was astonished.
                            Kindest Regards.
                            Try getting IBM to supply a part for a 1970s mainframe, or I daresay the original IBM PC! You will be astonished when he starts laughing and tells the joke to his fellow cube farm inhabitants: "some idiot wants a 30 year old part! Does he need VisiCalc, too?"

Comment

With help from several members... I have two of the three computers in the 705-D working well enough to have an enjoyable practice session. I may even share results one of these days.

I examined the capture memory board and the two batterys fell off by touching them. I was going to go to Alpack and ask them to make me a new pack... and I wondered if anyone knows the amp hours on the cells?
                              Kindest Regards

Comment

Working...
                              X