X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe a Viscount?

Found this organ on Craigslist, about 50 miles from the house:
    http://flint.craigslist.org/msg/3606205153.html
    Doesn't come with speakers, but wonder if it's midi-capable...might be a good deal for 300 bucks...

Wonder if it's a rebranded Viscount...
    Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
    Allen 301-C

Hi,

It is a Viscount - but don't know which model.

AV

Comment

Almost certainly has MIDI because these Wurlitzer-by-Viscount organs were on the market in the 90's and perhaps even a little later. (Arie probably knows the exact dates.) I recently had a very similar one in the shop, just a step up in the line with a third expression (cresdendo) pedal and more knobs but otherwise identical, and it had MIDI jacks. I never hooked anything up to it to see what the MIDI could do, but it at least sends keying data on three separate channels, and I wouldn't be surprised it if transmits a unique program number for each drawknob pulled because the knobs on these models have small ID numbers on the knobs in addition to the stop name and footage.

Certainly worth $300, and you might be surprised at how much you'd enjoy it. As we've been opining in another thread, the sounds of these were a little less refined than the Galanti organs of about the same time frame, but they're not bad at all.

Not many years ago, I would have driven a very long distance to pick up an organ like this for my own use or for my own church. Nowadays, they seem to be all over the place for very little money. But they are still perfectly good organs and we who still value them can take advantages of some tremendous bargains in this market!
      John
      ----------
      *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks for the replies AV and John...
        May try to give them a call in the morning...

Have 2 TV sets in the house...why not 2 organs? Makes sense to me, but my better half is still scratchin' her head...

Talked to Larry (Larrytow) on the phone earlier today...he said gopher it...
        Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
        Allen 301-C

Comment

Hey Moe,

Did ya go check it out ? I see the ad has been taken off CL, so that must mean that you grabbed it up ?

How many guitar players have only one instrument ? Why should us organists only have one ?
          Regards, Larry

At Home : Yamaha Electones : EX-42 ( X 3 !!! ), E-5AR, FX-1 ( X 2 !! ), US-1, EL-25 ( Chopped ). Allen 601D, ADC 6000D. Lowrey CH32-1. At Churches I play for : Allen Q325 ( with Vista ), Allen L123 ( with Navigator ). Rodgers 755. 1919 Wangerin 2/7 pipe organ.

Comment

So true, Larry! I want a good AGO classical organ at home, but I want to keep my HX-1 too!
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

I called that party yesterday morning...Darn it, I was a little late, someone had bought it within the last couple days...
              The ad had been up for 22 days already...guess I need to keep a closer eye on Craigslist...

BTW, there's another one near Grand Rapids (about 150 miles away), advertised as a Baldwin A210, for 400 bucks...
              But from what I gather, it's an "Alpha" series from the 90's, Viscount I presume...have read that might be one to stay away from, cheaply built, and poor sound...Maybe Arie might comment about that here...

Oh, and another thing, I don't plan on parting with my Allen 301-C...it has a special place in my heart...1st church organ I ever bought, looks like new, and sounds real nice...
              Jerry

Over the road Trucker

At the house:
              Allen 301-C

Comment

Jerry,

If it was an Alpha "Wurlitzer" by Viscount, I wouldn't shed any tears about losing out on this specimen. They were just not very good, no matter what aspect of the instrument you looked at.

Keep looking.

AV

Comment

Working...
                X