This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Rodgers and a Allen Question

I know the last big 3 manual analog Rodgers is the 925....preferably the later so# for its full midi....does anybody know what the 2 manual version of the 925 would have been?
    Also what would have been Allens last 3 manual analog organ? Its 2 manual version?
    Thanks!

I think the largest analog Rodgers was the Canterbury 950 & the largest 2-manual was the Newport 830. The 830, though, wasn't a downsized 950. I think the 950 had separate oscillator sets for the 5th & 3rd tuned mutations.

With Allen, the TC-4 or Classic was a stock large 2-manual organ, and the 314 was a stock 3-manual organ--they both had about the same tonal resources. Larger than these were probably either custom organs or customized models, and I know of at least a TC-5 as a large 2-manual model.

Neither Rodgers nor Allen really marketed their 2 and 3 manual models as "versions" of each other from what I have seen.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
      I think the largest analog Rodgers was the Canterbury 950
      I think you mean 925, though I don't know if it was called a Canterbury. Every reference I found said the 950 is a digital.

Greg

Comment

No, I mean 950 Canterbury Analog from circa 1980. There may have been a larger 4-manual analog, too. Rodgers also did a 950 digital. I've got a copy of the analog brochure. See: http://www.freelists.org/post/rodgersorgan/my-mistake,6 Essentially, a Model 350 but without the pipes--much larger than the 925.

Comment

Toodles, the largest "stock" Allen 3 manual was the 3D12, with twelve generators. Anything bigger than a 314 was called "custom" but was definitely not, and had remote generators. Bigger than 3/12, you went to Advanced Custom which were all individually designed. I'm pretty sure the biggest 2 manual was a 2D7, 7 generators. There were no Advanced Custom 2 manuals made that I know of.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
            No, I mean 950 Canterbury Analog from circa 1980. There may have been a larger 4-manual analog, too. Rodgers also did a 950 digital. I've got a copy of the analog brochure. See: http://www.freelists.org/post/rodgersorgan/my-mistake,6 Essentially, a Model 350 but without the pipes--much larger than the 925.
            Thanks! I really thought the 925 was it though I have sometime seen Rodgers re-using numbers. Do I understand right: the 350 is the same as a 950 but the 950 has the pipes option?

Any chance you have a brochure for a 990? Could I get a scan, if you do?

Greg

Comment

Vice versa: the 350 had pipes; the 950 was all electronic; however, Rodgers probably had "950 with pipes". Over the years, Rodgers renumbered several models with no real changes; e.g., the 220 Cambridge (also the 220-II) turned into the 850 later in life.

They did not make it easy for us to keep their models straight.

Here is the Heritage 990 brochure; note that previous to this one there was a Specification 990--basically the same organ.
              Attached Files

Comment

"Toodles",
                Thanks for posting the brochure -- I certainly appreciate it.

I'm hoping to find, at the right price, a 925 or 950 someday, though it sounds like the analog 950 is extremely rare.

Greg

Comment

No Talent, heres a 950 on ebay that just popped up..... its digital though
                  http://www.--------/itm/Rodgers-Elec...item3a7ffa830a

Originally posted by NoTalent View Post
                  "Toodles",
                  Thanks for posting the brochure -- I certainly appreciate it.

I'm hoping to find, at the right price, a 925 or 950 someday, though it sounds like the analog 950 is extremely rare.

Greg

Comment

Hi
                    Looks like a lot of organ for 15 grand! I have neve rplayed a digital Rodgers but many think they are excellent.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
                      No Talent, heres a 950 on ebay that just popped up..... its digital though
                      http://www.--------/itm/Rodgers-Elec...item3a7ffa830a
                      Thanks for pointing this out.
                      Yeah, digital 950 not what I'm looking for but 15K for that organ strikes me as a real good price, though the specification seems a little small. And a "new" pipe organ in Buffalo! Wonder from where they got the used one...

I've wanted the 925 for it's extreme analog sophistication but it does have some weirdness, like a Flute Celeste on the Great. And, for all their bragging about multiple celestes, (I believe) it has only one celeste rank. And the lit drawknobs, and anything else lit, would definitely have to go....

Comment

950 Organ in Buffalo

Thanks for pointing this out.
                        Yeah, digital 950 not what I'm looking for but 15K for that organ strikes me as a real good price, though the specification seems a little small. And a "new" pipe organ in Buffalo! Wonder from where they got the used one...

I've wanted the 925 for it's extreme analog sophistication but it does have some weirdness, like a Flute Celeste on the Great. And, for all their bragging about multiple celestes, (I believe) it has only one celeste rank. And the lit drawknobs, and anything else lit, would definitely have to go....
                        Hi there. I'm Bob Hull, the organist in Buffalo with the Rodgers for sale. It really is quite a nice instrument. We're excited to embark on our pipe organ project. A 44-Rank Schantz from Akron, OH. If anyone has questions on the Rodgers, please let me know. I would be glad to answer any questions.

Comment

Thanks! I really thought the 925 was it though I have sometime seen Rodgers re-using numbers. Do I understand right: the 350 is the same as a 950 but the 950 has the pipes option?

Any chance you have a brochure for a 990? Could I get a scan, if you do?

Greg
                          Let me know if you have any questions about a 990. My parish has one that was installed just a couple years ago, and has been providing excellent service.

Comment

. . . but it does have some weirdness, like a Flute Celeste on the Great.
                            Allen installed a Flute Celeste and a Vox Humana on the Great division of my ADC 7000. I wondered at first about this choice, but is actually makes a lot of sense because it makes expressible stops available on the Swell to use for accompaniment (with the Vox) or for a soft solo (with the celeste). I have since noticed the same practice on a few pipe instruments, so it is not weird at all, just a bit unusual.

Don

Comment

Working...
                            X