This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need some input

Our church is needing to replace our 25 year old analog Rodgers organ.

Due to budget restraints and other on-going financial obligations we can not purchase a "new" organ.

Our Rodgers is getting to the point that it could go out any day. I do not want to keep having it repaired and putting money into it.

We are considering a pre-owned Allen MDS-26 organ with the Allen Vista module.

Any input?

Anyone play an Allen MDS-26?

Thanks!
    Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Though I haven't played the specific model, I've played plenty of Allen MDS organs, both of the smaller size and larger. This is a fine model. The organ manual can be downloaded from Allen's site at: http://www.allenorgan.com/www/suppor...ls/0330069.pdf

If it is in good condition and the stoplist suits your worship needs, you really couldn't go wrong with it.

Comment

Agree, its a good solid model that should provide you with many years of good service. You can't go wro

How much are they asking for it? One of our members, Jbird (a very experienced Allen technician), has a larger Allen MDS 45 for sale. Don't know if it is out of your price range but might be worth considering as well:

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...l-church-organ
      1971 Allen Organ TC-3S (#42904) w/sequential capture system.
      Speakers: x1 Model 100 Gyro, x1 Model 105 & x3 Model 108.

Comment

speaker concern

A concern I have with the Allen MDS - 26 is that it only has two speakers ---- our Rodgers has either 4 or 5.

Is it possible to hook an Allen organ to Rodgers speakers??

Thanks!

Originally posted by gebohmusic View Post
        Our church is needing to replace our 25 year old analog Rodgers organ.

Due to budget restraints and other on-going financial obligations we can not purchase a "new" organ.

Our Rodgers is getting to the point that it could go out any day. I do not want to keep having it repaired and putting money into it.

We are considering a pre-owned Allen MDS-26 organ with the Allen Vista module.

Any input?

Anyone play an Allen MDS-26?

Thanks!
        Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
        Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
        Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Comment

I sold Allen Organs for 10 years -- near the end of MDS and the beginning of Renaissance. If my memory is correct, the MDS-26 could be purchased as a 2 channel, or a 4 channel instrument. A volume boost can be added -- 2 additional speakers -- to spread the sound. You can play an Allen using Rodgers speakers, however, since the Rodgers speakers were for an analog organ, you may not get the results you expect. If you do try to do a volume boost off the Allen speakers with Rodgers, be sure the Rodgers speakers are 8 ohm.

Comment

I'm concerned about the business practices of your repairman. At about twenty years, replacing "the part that is bad" in an organ is a very poor maintenance practice, and very expensive. There is a class of parts, the electrolytic capacitors, that are sealed with rubber, and leak out water vapor starting somewhere around 5 years (for cheap ones) or twenty years (for medium quality ones). At that age, all the electrolytic caps should be replaced, probably by removing the modules and taking them off to the shop to save the cost of driving aound the city all the time. Furthermore, the new caps should be "long life" varieties, >3000 hours service life @ >85 deg C, not the 500 hour caps most often sold to repair agencies by distributors. I replaced 71 caps in 2010 in my Hammond H100 organ, about two dozen in my A100 organ, and about two dozen in my 197? 6 band radio. A further "overhaul" of the Rogers would involve inspecting the speakers for deterioration of the rubber surrounds, and replacing as necessary, and changing electrolytic capacitors in the speaker crossover networks or crossover networks inside th eorgan. More overhaul items include cleaning all connectors, tabs switches with contact cleaner or an eraser. The light bulb and photocell or potentiometer in the swell pedal should replaced with long life versions, and any fans should also be repaired with long life parts. The power amp heat sinks should be cleaned of dust.
            Rogers will sell schematic diagrams, and if you like its sound perhaps you could look around to find someone, perhaps a guitar amp repair agency or somebody with a good reputation, or a tech from mitatech.org, that will take on the process of overhauling the Rogers organ in shop instead of patching it up.
            A used Allen MDC would be that many years down the twenty year boundary. The MDC does reputedly sound better for its working life. Furthermore, Allen MDC are easily serviced only by Allen franchised repairmen, by using Allen replacement assemblies. In my reading here, I've never heard of an Allen franchised repairman overhauling an overage organ to replace just the electrolytic caps and the speakers. Allen repairmen can repair any organ, but they typically swap boards with the factory even when it should be obvious from the calendar what parts are doomed to fail. Several people here have found that process too expensive to continue and sold their Allens, most often the MOS models.
            The exception to my recommendation of overhaul of a Rogers is the C500 etc models with the rubber contact keyboards. These keyboard are not long-life items, and IMHO not worth spending $500-1000 on the rest of the organ .
            city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

I would not hesitate to purchase the Allen. I have a three computer MOS-2 Allen from 1981 which still has the original electrolytics, works flawlessly and has needed no repairs over the 15 years I've owned it.
              -Admin

Allen 965
              Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
              Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
              Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
              X