Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Inspecting old Allen 120 before buying..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspecting old Allen 120 before buying..

So, I've got a great deal on an Allen 120 from a church located 150 miles away. Eventually, I'll be midifying this organ but plan on using it as is for a while. As I have not seen the organ, and the church contacts, of course, know nothing about organs, what things should I look out for before I seal the deal? My Allen 600 and TC3 run exactly like the day they were built and I expect that this one will too, but after being stored away in a church there maybe some things have gone wrong with it. Any quick advice for when I go try it out? Any known issues about the Allen 120 in particular I should watch out for (aside from the very hideous 1970's Sci-fi console)?

Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuzy

The 120 was the rock-bottom cheapest MOS model, with internal speakers only, and a few blind preset pistons, but it would make a good little unit to use for a MIDI project, and at least that hideous Sci-Fi console is about as compact as an AGO console can be made.

As your experience with a 600 shows, a MOS Allen can keep playing forever. It's always possible that something about it won't work when you first turn it on, if it's been just sitting there for a long time, but most problems with MOS organs are minor, worst case might require a board replacement. But unless it has been in a fire, damaged by water, or had an infestation of mice or squirrels or cats, it should be OK or at least fixable.

About any MOS organ would be in serious need of routine maintenance by now if it hasn't been serviced regularly. The usual routine of tightening terminal screws, pulling off and pushing on all the RCA connectors, pulling and pushing on the card-edge connectors (removing each board and wiping down the gold-clad surfaces with a super-thin coat of Vaseline, if you want to be very thorough), twirling the amplifier volume pots to clean them, along with the bass boost knobs on the DAC board, testing the power supplies for correct voltage and re-calibrating if necessary... These are the basic things to do and check when reviving a MOS organ.

As long as you don't pay much money for it, you won't be hurt. You'll at least gain some spare parts for your 600.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks, as always, guys. Did you realize that the term, "spare parts" is highlighted and links to some meat supply store? :-)

Comment

Whatever web crawler does the link-making for the forum is pretty dumb! All kinds of inappropriate links have been made on totally innocuous word pairs. You'll enjoy the forum just for that new feature, Buzzy!
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Google advertising is stupid, but not as stupid as the advertisers on the broadcast TV oldies channels that want me to buy a lot of plastic geezer toys with an undisclosed shipping and handling fee. google in the banner ad on this page wants me to buy a church podium or pulpit, or attend a service at the mega-church in Indianapolis only 130 miles from my home. Mr. Admin has to pay for this forum somehow, and I didn't make a contribution lately, did you?
          Oh, and I won't be limiting my choice of words to avoid stupid google links, either. Stupidity is everywhere, welcome to the USA. Wait til they start using facial recognition and flashing "personalized" ads at you at the mall entrance or in the elevator.
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Before adding those contextual advertising links to the site, I expended some programming effort to insure they appeared differently from conventional links, but I can't stop you from clicking on them anyway. ;-)
            -Admin

Allen 965
            Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
            Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
            Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Working...
            X