X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rodgers Cambridge 220-II

Hi folks,

I'm the "new kid on the block," but have been reading stuff on this forum for years.

I recently purchased a Rodgers Cambridge 220-II (late '70s I think) from a church that got a new organ. I was told that everything was in good working order, but the previous owner had to cut the 5 prong cables that run from the back of the organ into each amplifier, so they threw them away :-(

I have 4 Rodgers speaker cabinets, the amplifiers, and nothing to plug them up with. The cables are 5 prong on the male end, and 5 on the female end. Is there anywhere to get these cables? I have not had any luck finding anything online other than 5 on 6 cable ends. Ideally I'd like to be able to buy the cables, plug them up and start playing.

Thank you so much for any help anyone can provide!

-Dalton

Moved to the correct section for you Dalton. 'Home organs' is for entertainment models. Andy-Moderator
    Last edited by andyg; 08-18-2013, 12:19 AM.

You'll have to find some used ones or roll your own. Rodgers no longer uses them. It's nothing more than a pair of wires for the amp relay and a shielded audio cable. I would Get some 5-pin connectors and put them together.

Geo

Comment

Thank you, Geo. Now my next issue: I was able to hook an old speaker to the pedal and noticed the lower G and A notes sticking. When I depress the pedals just a little it stops. I looked at the magnets on the front end of the pedals and also the reed relay or whatever it is on the panel in front of he pedal board, but nothing looks out of place to me. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

I've had similar experiences with an Allen and got good results from realigning the switch rail. On my Allen there were seating screws that had slots to raise and lower the switch rail. You might check out how your rail is mounted. It takes a little experimenting but isn't hard work.

Comment

Thank you. I will check that out. I did notice the lowest note on the board (C) doesn't sound at all, but the 6 notes between that and the "sticky G" all seem ok.

Comment

Rodgers pedals adjust two different ways depending on model. One is where you adjust the reed switch panel. Three screws at the lower side of the panel have slotted brackets. Loosening the screws allows the reed switch panel to move up or down.

The other system they used is where you adjust the brackets on either side of the pedal board that seat to the organ. There are two screws. One is the pivot while the other is in a slot. Loosening that screw allows the bracket to move up or down.

It looks like you may only need to adjust one side.

Geo

Comment

Thanks Geo. I'll give it a shot.

Comment

I posted this in the classified section, but didn't know if that was the best place to get any visibility. If anyone has any laying around, I am in need of at least two 5-pin amphenol cords for my Rodgers organ. The ones I need are 5 pin on the male end, and accept 5 pins on the female end. I could use up to 4, but need at least two. Might anyone happen to have any laying around they don't need?

Thanks!!

Comment

They are available on Ebay ... search Allen Organ and they are part way down the first page ......

Comment

Originally posted by allaboutthesound View Post
                    They are available on Ebay ... search Allen Organ and they are part way down the first page ......
                    Thank you for the reply. I looked but couldn't find any. I saw some 6 pin connectors, but no 5 pin. I'm actually looking for the whole cord, with 5 pin male end and female end that accepts the same. Let me know if you see any.

Thanks!

Comment

Just in case anyone is interested, here are some photos of my new "toy." Now if only I had speaker cables and could play it...:'(
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0704.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	590043Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	590044Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5543.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	590045Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7449.jpg
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	590046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9889.jpg
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	590047

Comment

I owned one of these once--it's a great organ! The tabs are very convenient just above the keyboards. The setterboard combination action, though antique, is always fixable, and its design permits easy replacement with a modern system without major renovation to the console. Hope you find cables soon so you can enjoy it.

By the way, you could use a parallel of a single conductor shielded cable along with an 18 or 20 gauge zip cord to replace the Rodgers cable (either permanently or temporarily); you could replace the 5-pin tube type connectors with 5-pin DIN connectors at the console and amplifier ends, and on the cables. Those connectors are readily available and quite inexpensive. Rodgers switched to those for their last analog designs.

The 5-conductor cable is impossible to by at anything less than a 500 ft spool, and that would run you in the range of $400 to $500. Alpha Wire 1243 is the equivalent cable, but in gray instead of brown. You don't want to ask how much wire you would have to buy to get a custom color. Belden has an equivalent for about 50% more money; chrome jacket instead of gray. The 5-pin connectors are available new, but it looks like a 25 piece minimum order applies unless you find it in stock. Cooper Industries WPI (Wire-Pro, Inc) part numbers 78-S5 and 86-CP5 are the connector numbers; 86-3-24 is the metal shell, I think. Wire Pro bought the line from Amphenol; Cooper Industries acquired WPI.

This place has the connectors in small quantities: http://classichammonds.net/store/les...6.html?page=1; price is about twice what an electronics distributor would charge, but you don't have to buy 25.

Comment

Hmmm. I have the 850 cambridge model...are these the same organs just the difference with tab vs LDK's?

Comment

The Cambridge 220-II became the Cambridge 850, with only one, if I remember right, stop change: the Contra Violone 32' became a Contra Bourdon.

The 220-II was offered with stop tablets on a straight rail (with preset pistons, setterboard or computer combination action), traditional moving drawknobs (with setterboard or computer action only, I think), and lighted drawknobs with computer combination action only.

The 850 was offered with moving tabs on the straight rail or lighted drawknobs; computer combination action only.

Comment

You want to search for 5 pin Amphenol or Hammond:

http://www.--------/itm/1-Vintage-5-...-/290920724147
                              http://www.--------/itm/2-sets-Vinta...item43bede1ea4

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X