This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen TC-3 16' manual stops in lowest octave

I've noticed that none of the 16' stops work in the lowest octave on the manual, although the same pitches that would be produced in the manual (if the lowest 16' stops worked) are found in the pedals. Why? I don't often use 16' stops in the manuals, but if I do, I like them to go all the way down. And would running wires to the proper tone generators produce those stops, or is there some reason why this would not work, or not be desirable?
    The Flying News

Generally this was done to keep the bottom octave from getting too muddy. With digital voices, the bottom end could be softened so this wasn't as much of an issue, so those usually go all the way down. But with analog, there wasn't a simple way to provide separate scaling, so if the 16' was strong enough to support the pedals, it would likely be too much for the top end.

Yes, you could run additional cabling for this octave if the contact wires are present in the key switch stack.

Comment

There was another reason:

In some of these series organs, e.g. TC 6, the flute and diapason generators share the 16' octave of oscillators. They only played on the pedals, thereby avoiding a complicated keying arrangement.

Comment

Thanks. I think that might be the case here too, as I don't think there is a 0 octave in the diapason. I'll have to check. Anyway, I won't worry about it, and I appreciate the information.
        The Flying News

Comment

Working...
        X