Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the difference between Allen's ADC and MADC lines?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the difference between Allen's ADC and MADC lines?

Were MADC's midi-compatible, and ADC's not midi-compatible? Were the MADC's smaller?

Not much MIDI in either type, though a single board MIDI adapter is available that gives keying-only functionality. No MIDI output or control for the expression, stops, pistons, transposer. Allen was not very interested in MIDI until the MDS models came out around 1990. MIDI-wise there is no difference between ADC and MADC.

MADC models were the lower end of the model line, though the top of the MADC line, the 3100/3160 models, were exceptionally well-tricked-out two manual moving drawknob models. Models called MADC were simply based on the flat-panel implementation of the ADC technology rather than the multiple-boards-in-a-cage setup of the full-line ADC organs.
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

What is the difference between the 3100 and 3160? Also, I have seen an ADC-2140 with internal speakers, and one with external speakers. Is the one with internal speakers an MADC-2140?

Comment

3100 and 3160 have minor differences in the stop list. I believe the 3160 has a swell mixture that the 3100 lacks, and if there are other differences I can't remember what they were. The 3160 was the later version with a slightly upgraded TG board, but differences are minor.

MADC models that begin with "1" such as the 1100, 1110, 1140, have internal speakers. Models that begin with "2" such as the 2100, 2110, 2140, 2160, have no internal speakers but came with a pair of external speakers. If you saw something supposed to be a 2140 with internal speakers, it was mis-identified. Must have been an 1140.

The only MADC models with numbers in the 3000 range were the 3100 and the 3160, and both of these had four-channel external speaker audio, divided expression, crescendo pedal, card reader standard, and a full double-memory capture action.

The ADC and MADC prefixes are used interchangeably and do not mean that a model has one kind of speakers or another. Allen sales people referred to all organs produced in the ADC era "ADC" models. They never used the "MADC" prefix in any of their sales literature. The MADC designation is something that we use in the technical field to differentiate between the cage models (true ADC) and the flat board models (MADC).

Pay no attention to the prefixes when shopping these models, as they mean nothing. The numbers tell you what the organ is.

- - - Updated - - -

I should add that there were originally ADC-1000, 2000, and 3000 models BEFORE they were replaced by the MADC-1100, 2100, and 3100. These original models had cages like the big ADC organs and were therefore quite different from the MADC organs. You don't see many of these original models for sale, possibly because they were replaced by the MADC versions rather early in the ADC era.

Also, there were MADC 220, 420, 520, 720, and a few other 3-digit models. These were stripped-down organs (such as the one I now have at home) with a single circuit board producing about 15 ranks, shared and borrowed around the organ and output on just two audio channels. None of these had moving tab capture or drawknobs and were considered home or chapel organs, entry level versions, though we did sell quite a few of them to small churches with limited budgets.
        John
        ----------
        *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

The 3100 had a Sifflöte 1' replaced by a Mixture III on the 3160.

The 3100 had a Lieblich Gedackt 16' on the Great and Pedal, but enclosed with the swell; the 3160 had a 16' Quintaten on the Swell, duplexed to the Pedal and Great. Otherwise the base organ stoplists are the same.

The 3100 allowed for optional vibrato and chorus produced by Trem 3 units; the 3160 had romantic tuning instead of chorus, and optional vibrato was produced by Trem 4 units. The 3160A had "romatic tuning off" whereas the original 3160 had "romantic tuning on".

This family of organs had a very useful stoplist which was very well balanced--it is hard to make a combination on these organ that doesn't work well and sound pleasing.

The 3100 and 3160's were 4-channel whereas the smaller models were 2 channel.

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
            The 3100 had a Sifflöte 1' replaced by a Mixture III on the 3160.

The 3100 had a Lieblich Gedackt 16' on the Great and Pedal, but enclosed with the swell; the 3160 had a 16' Quintaten on the Swell, duplexed to the Pedal and Great. Otherwise the base organ stoplists are the same.
            Interesting. At my church I'm playing what is described as a 3100 on the literature (copyright 1985) supplied with the instrument but it has the Mixture III on the Swell instead of the Sifflöte 1'. I discovered elsewhere on this forum that that change made it a 3160.

However, the other changes you describe between the 3100 and the 3160 are not present: the only 16' stop on the Swell is a Bassoon -- no Quintaten. The Great and Pedal still have a Lieblich Gedackt 16'.

Of course, the literature has a disclaimer that stoplists may be changed at any time....

Comment

Allen may have made the switch of the Mixture for the Sifflöte in later models of the 3100, or it could have been a customer requested modification.

Comment

Working...
              X