This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting a volume level

Is there a certain level organs should be set to for proper volume? For example, when installing sound reinforcement systems (PA) the norm is to use pink noise or a sine wave and set it to certain level and that the level is at least 25dB (slow-A) above ambient noise.

I also know from working with pipe organs that usually the 4' Principal on the Great is the benchmark stop and needs to be a certain scale relative to the room's acoustics.

Do Allen organs have such a benchmark for amp/cage settings? For example, set the 4' Octave to XdB, then balance the rest of the organ.

Tyler

Tyler,

You could direct this message to JBird604. He is an Allen service person who has also installed in his day. He should be able to give you details Allen provides.

I did purchase an Allen Audio Service Manual, however, it does not provide the installation information you are requesting. I believe that's only provided to trained Allen service personnel.

As a rule of thumb, I use completely open boxes and full organ to set the levels as if accompanying a full church. One can always go down from there. On all my Allens, I prefer to set open boxes and register around that--as if it were an unenclosed pipe organ.

Hope that helps.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Working...
    X