This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Baldwin organ am I playing?

A church I play for just recently acquired a Baldwin organ. It has some nice sounds on it although the Flute stops remind me of video games I played 25 years ago. I just wanted to know the general time frame and model this organ is and any opinions. I don't really like the action and the keys feel like a cheap keyboard. But I think I can make some decent sounds out of it.
    Attached Files

And another thing, what's the meaning of the "E" "F" and "M" pistons?
    Attached Files

Comment

It looks like a model C-630 from early to mid 1970's.
      Rick B.

Allen R-311D
      Baldwin Cinema II (214DR)
      Gulbransen Pacemaker
      Yamaha Clavinova CVP-209
      Nord C2 w/ PK27 pedals and Behringer K3000FX amp

Comment

I have the church model 48C which was on the market from '68-72. The C630 followed. They make a nice church organ. I like mine just fine.

I had a Wurlitzer 4300 once that I really liked, and my little nephew said to me when I used a Clarinet stop that sound like my nintendo game. It really did for sure.

I don't have those pistons on my 48C, but I think they have to do with external speakers. BTW I like the Contra Bassoon 16' in the pedals. Mine has a Schalmei 4' in the pedals.

Also, are any of the lower manual keys "stiff" on that C630? I know some of mine are, and I wonder if it has to do with the Chimes and Celeste stops since they are percussions that need to be struck.

James
        Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
        Baldwin Spinet 58R
        Lowrey Spinet SCL
        Wurlitzer 4100A
        Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
        Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
        Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

Yeah the Contra Bassoon actually sounds pretty good. I guess the "E" would probably stand for external. The pedal tones are DEEP and it really adds a lot. I'm impressed that an organ of this stature has all four tone families represented.

- - - Updated - - -

Really a nice little organ.
          Attached Files

Comment

E is echo
            M is main
            F is full (main and echo)

The keyboards use Baldwin's gradual key contacts, hence the odd feel.

I noticed that you always have the "Tone Expander" on. It does seem to enhance the sound.

What a good time they had at Baldwin finding a name for the 1' on the Swell!

It's an AGO console and works. That makes it a good practice organ.

Comment

Yep, perfectly good practice organ. Many people practice on poorer ones. Keep up the good work!
              John
              ----------
              *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Working...
              X