Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with a model number, price, Allen organ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with a model number, price, Allen organ?

I hope to see this organ this afternoon. I know where to look for a model number, but don't know it yet. It seems the asking price is too high as well. Any thoughts? Thanks for any help.

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/msg/4303370177.html

It is probably a small MOS 1 model as evidenced by the single expression pedal. However, the critical features to make a positive ID are cut off in the photos: what is installed in the side jambs. If you see a card reader, a transposer, and a mellow-bright knob, then it is a MOS 1. If not, it could be a very small analog with one or two ranks of oscillators built in.

I would say regardless of model, $500-800. This is a small instrument with (apparently) only built-in speakers, no divided expression, and a modest stop list. Organs like this languish on eBay in this price range every day of the week. You could go a bit higher if the console is really nice.

Comment

Looks like they have added pictures indicating that it is an ADC-430. If so it seems like a decent instrument but I think their price is a bit optimistic. That said I don't seem to see many Allens listed at fire sale prices.

mike
      If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Comment

No, most Allens are not listed at fire-sale prices, but I believe the ones that sell at all usually SELL at fire-sale prices. The market is just too depressed to command what owners believe these instruments to be worth.

ADC is better than MOS. They do have all the paperwork. The console is attractive (if you like oak) and well-cared for; it is a T series with a real roll-top rather than that terrible "contemporary" style used on the MOS 1.

Maybe $1500 if everything works and you really like it.

Comment

What does it take to add midi output (including expression) to an ADC?

mike

Comment

Allen makes a MIDI board for the ADCs. It plugs right in at the multiplex board, making installation relatively easy. Unfortunately, it encodes only keys, not stops or expression pedals. I believe that a third-party board could be adapted fairly easily to encode the expression while not affecting the built-in tone generation. Another quirk of the MIDI is that it works correctly with the transposer on encoding but not on decoding (i.e., playback from a sequencer). Allen clearly intended this MIDI adapter for use with one of their expander modules, with volume controlled at the module.

Comment

Ah, So would e the same situation that my Praeludium II has stock. I have seen some really slick mechanical engineering here in creating such things for various organs.

mike

Comment

It is indeed a 430, as the added pictures show. Immaculate condition in a little country church. I was able to get the price down a bit and include delivery. Have to ok it with my wife but am optimistic we have a deal. Looking forward to getting to know a new friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Orin Johnson View Post
                  It is indeed a 430, as the added pictures show. Immaculate condition in a little country church. I was able to get the price down a bit and include delivery. Have to ok it with my wife but am optimistic we have a deal. Looking forward to getting to know a new friend!
                  Good luck in giving this nice looking organ a home. Apparently the church wants nothing but a praise band since the presence of a noticeable piece of drum equipment.

James
                  Baldwin Church Organ Model 48C
                  Baldwin Spinet 58R
                  Lowrey Spinet SCL
                  Wurlitzer 4100A
                  Crown Pump Organ by Geo. P. Bent, Chicago, Illinois

Organs I hope to obtain in the future:

Conn Tube Minuet or Caprice even a transistor Caprice with the color coded tabs
                  Gulbransen H3 or G3, or V.
                  Wurlitzer 44, 4410, 4420, ES Reed Models, 4300, 4500, Transistor Models

Comment

The co-pastors said that if they had someone who could play it, they'd keep it. I suspect it's a congregation of 50 or thereabouts.

Comment

I am excited for you. It looks like a very nice instrument.

mike

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I've been perusing the manual some too. Is a re-voicing of the organ something I can try on my own, if needed? Helpful links? It's going to a not dissimilar room, so none may be necessary... How tricky to add a headphone jack? We do have Allen dealers/repairs in town if needed.

Comment

I suppose I could take the external speakers and feed it to a small mixer?

- - - Updated - - -

Oops, I mean use the line the external speakers would use. This comes with no external speakers.

Comment

Orin,

Nice acquisition. I have a nearly identical ADC420 at home for practice. Mine differs from your 430 in having no crescendo pedal and mine is in the older style "contemporary" console that is not nearly as pretty. You did well.

If you need to make adjustments, this is a relatively simple two-channel organ. On the main tone generator board there are two groups of BTMG controls (bass, treble, midrange, gain). Channel 1 has the 8' gedeckt and the 4' octave along with the mixture and several other stops. Channel 2 has the 8' principal, the 4' flute, the 16' pedal stop, and some others. You can discover which stops are in which channel by turning down the amplifier volume knob for each channel in turn and making a list of what still plays.

Voicing consists merely of adjusting these BTMG controls to get the stops in good balance and to obtain the bass to treble balance that you want. There are of course "rules" and standard ways of doing it, but you are always free to experiment.

Be careful with the little minipots on the tone generator board as they are a bit fragile. Get a small screwdriver that fits just right, don't force it, turn them gently. You'll quickly see that they have a lower and upper limit to their rotation. Setting them all in the center of rotation is a good place to start, with the amplifier knobs about 8. Then aim for proper balance. You can't go wrong if you try to get the volume of the viola and viola celeste equal, as they are in different channels but should have the same tone.

Adding a headphone jack may be tricky. I'm sure Allen has a kit for that, but it's bound to be pricey. Perhaps a good Allen tech could wire you up a headphone jack by installing a relay to kill the speakers with an unused stop tablet. Allen just didn't have headphones in mind when they built these models, and it may not sound very pleasant through headphones either. The up-close sound of this model can be a little gritty and grainy, and your ears may not like the left-right division of stops in every chorus.

A better solution might be to add on an external digital reverb device with its own headphone jack. That way you would have the sweetening benefits of digital reverb and you'd have a properly set up headphone outlet.
                            John
                            ----------
                            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks again everybody - lots of good help. I may not be at this little church when the organ is loaded up and brought to me. What specific instructions might I give the folks who are not at all organ-savvy - like, regarding pedal removal, etc. Anything to keep close track of, etc.?

Comment

Working...
                              X