This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream Home Practice Organ

It's definitely interesting to see reactions when you ask for a free organ. As my previous thread accounts. :) It does look like I attracted some attention and made myself look like a complete idiot. :) I am definitely pleased with the responses and definitely hoped for that. Please excuse my strange sense of humor, but now for a completely legitimate request. It is definitely true my dream home organ would be an R270. I hope someday I will be able to come across one and purchase it and play the snot out of it. But, here's my question, and please forgive me if this is already a thread, but what is your dream home organ? And please don't say the Wanamaker organ, because then you'll be ridiculous. ;) if you already own your dream organ, tell us what it is and how you have it set up, external speakers, etc.? Maybe pictures? Thanks!

I suppose I'd love to have the same organ at home as I play at church, and perhaps that is not out of the question, as my church has a fairly modest organ. Of course it won't sound the same in my little living room as it does in the church with a vaulted ceiling nearly 40 feet high, but with some good modern digital reverb it could sound pleasant.

Since I'm 62 and love my current church position, I'm not likely to leave it for another one before I retire in about 8 years, so I'll go with the organ I play there. It's an MDS-45 Allen with drawknobs, built in the early 90's. (Other than the drawknobs, no other particular options were offered with this model.) I would want a nice Allen MIDI expander, probably the "Ensemble Division" in a drawer, since I am familiar with it's operation and it has all the sounds I want. At church I am using an old original MDS Expander, but if I had my druthers I'd upgrade to the Ensemble there as well.

I believe I'd bypass the built-in Allen ADR-4 reverb system in favor of a pair of third-party stereo reverb units (since the organ has four audio outputs), possibly using Alesis MIDI-Verb 4 units, since I've used those in several organs and like their effects. I say "I believe" because as far as I can tell at church, the ADR-4 doesn't do much. In a home setting, it might do a better job, especially if the levels were cranked up, so I guess I'd try it out first before ditching it.

Rather than using the large full-size Allen speakers in my house, I'd probably go for some kind of mid-size high-performance speakers, four of them for the main channels, along with one or perhaps two fairly compact subwoofers. I tend to think that a sub ought to have a 15" driver, but I suppose in my small living room a well-designed 12" powered sub could do the job of making the 32' pedal stops palpable.

My four main speakers would be mounted at the wall/ceiling juncture, which would be several feet above my ears, but not too far away, since when I'm practicing at home I'm the only one who really needs or wants to hear it. I do know that I wouldn't want the speakers aimed directly at my ears. Even with good reverb mixed in, the sound of most digitals is not terribly pleasing straight out of the speakers. I'd try to bounce the sound off the ceiling to some extent. The subs would be in the floor in the same general area.

I've often wondered what it would sound like to use some old Conn pipe speakers in place of standard organ speakers. I might experiment with putting some new and better drivers into an old pipe speaker and see how that worked out. Since their output is very non-directional, I could probably have the pipe units on shelves right beside or around the console. It would be fun to have pipes to look at, and when I've heard the Conn pipes in use I've felt that they actually did something to make the sound quite agreeable to the ears, though I'm not sure exactly what they do. But that would be a fun thing to try out.

I don't currently have much of a "dream" organ at home, though I'm content for the moment with my Allen ADC420. Its sounds are similar enough to the MDS at church that I can at least ponder my registrations at home. Lacking a capture action, I have to do all my registration by hand, which is good practice. I do appreciate having keyboards and pedalboard that are identical to the organ at church, so the basic feel is the same.

Since I may not come across an MDS-45 that I can afford to bring home any time soon, I may do some improving of the little 420. I have a MIDI kit I can install on it, and I may well add some digital reverb (it has only a spring) and possibly give it some external speakers one of these days. A friend has offered me a set of Conn pipes that I may try hooking up to it just for fun.

One thing about dreaming is that it doesn't cost any money!
    John
    ----------
    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Since Cameron Carpenter's touring organ is modular, I wonder if he gets to set it up at home and practice. It's definitely his dream organ:

http://www.cameroncarpenter.com/home/

Comment

I didn’t have a dream organ in mind. I had a 1947 refurbished Moller Portable and thought it was the final organ.

In 2009 I had the opportunity to purchase a 3-rank Moller Artiste in unaltered condition. As the project progressed, it became a pipe/digital playing from a refurbished Allen TC-6 three manual console.

This probably IS the final organ, and since I could customize the project, it became my dream organ.

Here are the specifications:

Artisan operating system with pipe drivers and digital ranks.
        Three rank Moller Artiste pipe organ (1954) with mechanical shades.
        Refurbished Allen TC6 (1960) three manual console with 57 moving tabs.
        31 digital stops/17 pipe stops. Pedal: 13 stops, 9D, 4P; Swell: 11 stops all D; Great: 12 stops, 3D, 9P; Choir: 12 stops, 8D, 4P.

Divided expression GT/CH/PD and SW with mechanical shades for the pipes/digital expression for digital ranks; crescendo. Sforzando reversible piston and toe stud. Zimbelstern reversible toe stud. Swell sub/super couplers/unison off.

Ten general pistons with toe studs
        SW/GT/CH divisional pistons, 5 per division
        4 PD divisional toe studs
        10 memory levels

LCD display in left drawer that originally contained one of the setter boards. The display was programmed to show memory level, volume level (GT/CH/PD) and (SW), crescendo level. Power switch is in the drawer.

Artisan recorder to USB stick.

8 channel Artisan sound engine. Allen ADC 100-watt per channel amps. Allen speakers: 14, HC15; 1, B40; 1, PP3. Two, 4-channel Lexicon digital reverb units for the digital ranks.

Photos are in the gallery – http://www.organforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=61065

Comment

Today I hope to be having one of my dream organs going- a 58' or 59' Conn 815 Classic. It is my first fully voiced console classical organ with an AGO pedal board. The 815 has CELESTE tabs right where the earlier 800 series had Main/ECHO tabs in this far right position of the tab layout. It's difficult for me to say I have a favorite organ, but I can say that even though I love pipe organs it is the electromechanical and purely electronic tone generator organs that I like best. These organs were not tide overs until 'more authentic' pipe organ imitations came along. Instead the electric based tone generation has proven to be a genuine musical voice all it's own.

Today I lost one of my prized musical instruments- my Stromberg Carlson Carillon. Unfortunately and neighbor who was keeping the carillon in his garage ( the ONLY item he kept for me) told me that the carillon was 'accidentally' disposed of when his nephew cleaned out the garage. I'd rather not dwell on it, but it was very painful news because this particular carillon is the only of it's type. All electric carillons are solonoid triggered or on a tape, but the SC Carillon had piano action so the player could play carillon with dynamic touch. I am not one for digital over analog, but especially not over touch sensitive electromechanical regardless of the sample rates digital might offer. I will always be on the lookout for an SC Carillon. Such a shame! Especially when I finally acquired the last organ I had sought- the Conn 815 was an incredible end to my long quest for the best organs I could ever hope to own, play, and study for my ultimate goal of developing a 21st century successor to analog tone generation using MEMS, analog, and digital. The SC Carillon was one I hoped to at least precisely digitize and make a compliment to Hauptwerk organs. Selling the software for a small fee could help finance my other research. I just hope some day to find another extremely rare Stromberg Carlson Carillon. No other will do.
          Until then-Paul
          Wurlitzer '46' Model 31 Orgatron & 310 rotary cab, 56' 4410 , 65' 4300
          Hammond '55' S6 Chord Organ,HR-40,ER-20, 1971 X66/& 12-77 tone cabinet w/ 122 kit & TREK Transposer- of which I've retrofitted a Wurlitzer/Lowrey 'PedAL gLIdE' awesome!
          Gulbransen 61' 1132 '76' Rialto II & Leslie 705 + two 540
          Conn '57' 406 Caprice '59' 815 Classic (the 29th 815)
          PLEASE SAVE THE WURLITZER ELECTROSTATIC CONTINUOUS-FREE-REED ORGANS 1953'-1961' Hammond TW's ONLY TRUE COMPETITOR! (Ggl> NSHOS WURLI 4600)

Comment

Dear PaulJ;

I was sorry to hear about your carillon loss. Hopefully, another will come your way in the not-too-distant future.

Are you aware of how the celeste stops work on you 815?

. . . Jan

Comment

I decided it was time to make the speakers on the floor behind the organ console disappear. There are now two speaker enclosures. Each enclosure has 1 Allen B-40 and 3 Allen HC-15 speaker cabinets for the Swell and Pedal divisions. Great/Choir pipes and digital ranks speak from the chamber behind the center grille. The grille cloth is white however, since it is so transparent it appears to be gray/pink or some other color.

Each enclosure has a floor and an open back. A B-40 is on the bottom with the 3 HC-15s stacked on top. To service the speakers, the enclosure unit can be pulled from the wall. Everything now moves as a unit -- no more lifting individual speakers.

The new photo is in my gallery -- http://www.organforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=61065

Originally posted by Moller Artiste View Post
              I didn’t have a dream organ in mind. I had a 1947 refurbished Moller Portable and thought it was the final organ.

In 2009 I had the opportunity to purchase a 3-rank Moller Artiste in unaltered condition. As the project progressed, it became a pipe/digital playing from a refurbished Allen TC-6 three manual console.

This probably IS the final organ, and since I could customize the project, it became my dream organ.

Here are the specifications:

Artisan operating system with pipe drivers and digital ranks.
              Three rank Moller Artiste pipe organ (1954) with mechanical shades.
              Refurbished Allen TC6 (1960) three manual console with 57 moving tabs.
              31 digital stops/17 pipe stops. Pedal: 13 stops, 9D, 4P; Swell: 11 stops all D; Great: 12 stops, 3D, 9P; Choir: 12 stops, 8D, 4P.

Divided expression GT/CH/PD and SW with mechanical shades for the pipes/digital expression for digital ranks; crescendo. Sforzando reversible piston and toe stud. Zimbelstern reversible toe stud. Swell sub/super couplers/unison off.

Ten general pistons with toe studs
              SW/GT/CH divisional pistons, 5 per division
              4 PD divisional toe studs
              10 memory levels

LCD display in left drawer that originally contained one of the setter boards. The display was programmed to show memory level, volume level (GT/CH/PD) and (SW), crescendo level. Power switch is in the drawer.

Artisan recorder to USB stick.

8 channel Artisan sound engine. Allen ADC 100-watt per channel amps. Allen speakers: 14, HC15; 1, B40; 1, PP3. Two, 4-channel Lexicon digital reverb units for the digital ranks.

Photos are in the gallery – http://www.organforum.com/gallery/index.php?cat=61065

Comment

I have 2 dream organs:

A Hammond RT model with a 900 leslie, AND....any of the newer Allen or Rodgers church organs (from 1994 on up....). I'd truly be in Heaven to have both of these instruments in my possession!
                Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

Comment

Moller,

That's an awesome new chamber! I think this might qualify as a dream organ!

I'd love to know the stoplist and which ones are digital. And how the stops are channeled out of the Artisan.
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                    Moller,

That's an awesome new chamber! I think this might qualify as a dream organ!

I'd love to know the stoplist and which ones are digital. And how the stops are channeled out of the Artisan.

John, here are the specs. I am on the waiting list for the new Artisan Sound Engine. Channels will go from 8 to 16. Output will go from 800 to 1,600 watts. Based on the setup I will use for the new Sound Engine, there will be no more than 5 digital ranks per channel, and usually no more than 3 ranks per channel will be playing at once. Allen

Everyone, please note: There were only 59 available tabs on this console. There was no room to add additional tabs or to stack the tabs because of the space necessary for the SAMs. The stop distribution/omissions may be too unusual for everyone. There are no celestes in the digital Swell. They are in the Choir because I wanted the unison to be pipes. There is no Swell to Choir, Choir to Pedal, 4' Pedal Flute or Choir Tremulant. (The Sound Engine can be programmed to enable Choir tremulant using the Great digital tremulant tab.) There are no dividers between the divisions. The Great is heavily pipe unified because I wanted to preserve as much of the original Moller Artiste spec as possible. All of this because there were certain stops I wanted so it was necessary to get creative with the 59 tabs!

1954 M.P. Moller Artiste 3-rank pipe organ — Opus 8749

Flute rank — 80 pipes
                    Diapason rank — 73 pipes
                    String rank — 80 pipes

Artisan Digital Ranks

8 channel Artisan sound engine
                    4, 2 channel Allen ADC amps; 100 watts per channel — 800 watts total
                    10, Allen HC-15 speaker cabinets
                    2, Allen B-40 subwoofer cabinets
                    2, Allen PP-3 speaker cabinets

Console Description

Artisan operating system with pipe drivers and digital ranks
                    Refurbished 1960 Allen TC-6 three manual AGO console with 59 stop tabs including couplers — 31 digital stops/17 pipe stops. Pedal: 13 stops, 9D, 4P; Swell: 11 stops all D; Great: 12 stops, 3D, 9P; Choir: 12 stops, 8D, 4P
                    Walnut exterior
                    Oak interior
                    Moving stop tabs (59)
                    Stop tabs and console plates — black with white engraving
                    Lighted music rack and pedalboard (LED)
                    Divided expression: great/choir/pedal; swell; crescendo
                    Great/choir/pedal pipes expressed with mechanical shutters
                    Digital ranks expressed with digital expression
                    LCD in drawer for console status
                    10 memory levels
                    Transposer
                    Automatic digital tuning to pipes
                    10 general pistons with 10 toe studs
                    5 division pistons each for swell, great and choir
                    4 pedal division toe studs
                    Sforz piston and toe stud (reversible)
                    Zimbelstern toe stud (reversible)
                    Set piston
                    Cancel piston
                    Artisan music recorder to USB stick
                    Swell sub/super/unison off
                    Lexicon digital room modeling for digital ranks

Stop List

Pedal Division

Principal 32
                    Contra Violone 32
                    Principal 16
                    *Bourdon 16
                    Violone 16
                    Octave 8
                    *Gedackt 8
                    *Viola 8
                    *Choral Bass 4
                    Mixture IV
                    Contre Bombarde 32
                    Bombarde 16
                    Trompette 8
                    Swell to Pedal 8
                    Great to Pedal 8

Swell Division

Geigen Diapason 8
                    Rhorflote 8
                    Geigen Octave 4
                    Flute 4
                    Nasart 2 2/3
                    Blockflote 2
                    Tierce 1 3/5
                    Fourniture IV
                    Contre Trompette 16
                    Trompette 8
                    Hautbois 8
                    Tremulant
                    Swell 16
                    Swell 4
                    Swell Unison Off

Great Division

*Diapason 8
                    *Bourdon 8
                    *Viola 8
                    *Octave 4
                    *Flute 4
                    *Viola 4
                    *Twelfth 2 2/3
                    *Fifteenth 2
                    *Flute 2
                    Mixture IV
                    Trompette 8
                    Chimes
                    Pipe Tremulant
                    Tremulant
                    Swell to Great 8
                    Swell to Great 4
                    Choir to Great 8

Choir Division

Principal 8
                    *Bourdon 8
                    Flute Celeste 8
                    *Viola 8
                    Viola Celeste 8
                    Prestant 4
                    *Flute 4
                    *Viola 4
                    Viola Celeste 4
                    Doublette 2
                    Zimbell III
                    Trompette en chamade

*denotes pipe ranks
                    Last edited by Moller Artiste; 05-15-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

My dream home organ would be a 4 manual console that looks similar to the pic on my avatar, driving a Hauptwerk system featuring all the Hauptwerk Cavaille-Coll organs.

Comment

I think my dream organs pale in comparison to yours! Man, I'd love to get my hands on that Moller and play it. Mind if I make a trip to Kentucky to visit ?? :-)
                        Craig

Hammond L143 with Leslie 760

Comment

Oh, wow, Moller Artist, you are local to Louisville in Versailles? do you give concerts where the Louisville AGO is invited? I'll have to watch their concert list more closely.
                          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Originally posted by indianajo View Post
                            Oh, wow, Moller Artist, you are local to Louisville in Versailles? do you give concerts where the Louisville AGO is invited? I'll have to watch their concert list more closely.

IndianaJo, I'm closer to Lexington than Louisville. Individuals have played, and are welcome to play the organ, but I would rather AGO not be involved. When I was selling Rodgers, and then Allen Organs, most of which were all digital, the local AGO was NOT receptive to a "fake" organ. Maybe the attitude has changed. Allen

Comment

Originally posted by Moller Artiste View Post
                              IndianaJo, I'm closer to Lexington than Louisville. Individuals have played, and are welcome to play the organ, but I would rather AGO not be involved. When I was selling Rodgers, and then Allen Organs, most of which were all digital, the local AGO was NOT receptive to a "fake" organ. Maybe the attitude has changed. Allen
                              Definitely not a problem with the Boston area AGO chapter these days. They were a primary sponsor of Cameron Carpenter's recent concert at Harvard Sanders Theatre using his M&O touring organ.

--- Tom
                              Rodgers 660 with additional analog rack sets (practice), 36D/C in digital conversion, Yamaha CVP-107

Comment

Working...
                              X