Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wurlitzer Electrostatic for Military Uses?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wurlitzer Electrostatic for Military Uses?

This is the first organ to show up in my area with something of an accomplished pedalboard in months...
    https://pullman.craigslist.org/msg/4445905537.html

I'm quite sure a Wurlitzer Electrostatic Organ is not worth $1,700, and further that they were not designed for military use. Can someone verify this?
    I'd like to find information to prove them otherwise and get a better value idea before I go check it out.
    My instruments:
    Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
    One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
    Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
    Church:
    Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
    1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

Well, I can tell you that the military bought at least a few; There were two of them in the small basement chapels of the Merchant Marine Academy Chapel up until about 10 years ago. King's Point officially is a US Service academy, along with the larger an better known ones :)
    The wurlitzers had given up the ghost, and were removed.
    Casey

Comment

That would be a delightful organ to own. If I had the $$$ I would buy it.

mike
      If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Comment

That one will be a model 4602, definitely a fine example of Wurlitzer's electrostatic reed organs. And with the original tone cabinet, as it appears! A bit of a time capsule, and I'm with Mike, I'd love to own one.

But: $1700? I just don't see that. There was a fellow on here several years back who restored one, and it sounded like a whole heck of a lot of work. Lots of high-voltage circuitry in there where you don't want to mess around with aged/degraded components. And this will be in the vicinity of 60 years old by now.

Also: I have heard conflicting reports as to whether the pedals are AGO standard. Apparently the flagship 4800 was full AGO specs, but I've heard some say the 4602 had 32 smaller-scaled pedals -- if that's important to you. (Sounds like it might be, from the way the OP is phrased.)

These organs do have a wonderful sound - I had a circa-1956 model 4410 spinet that was really something, for a smaller instrument. Good luck with this one if you decide to pursue it, and please keep us posted!

Comment

Yes, indeed they are wonderful. There aren't very many recordings available of them, but the few that I have heard seem really impressive.

As long as it has 32 pedals in a "sort of kind of AGO", I think I'll be good... something exactly AGO would be nice though.

The big question here is: How much to really offer? And would it really be a good instrument for me?
          I don't want something to restore right now, and I know this thing is probably full of old electrolytic capacitors.
          $100-200, really, is what I would be willing to pay for if I could figure out how to get it into my apartment... perhaps that is too lowball?

It's either that, or I get serious about Hauptwerk/jOrgan and stack two keyboards and get a MIDI kit for a pedalboard..
          My instruments:
          Home: A late 50's to early 60's Conn 720 (tube powered, of course)
          One reed organ; in pieces at the moment pending a helping hand to do some gluing.
          Two pianos (upright grand and a spinet) and an accordion (Hohner)
          Church:
          Hammond A-105 with Leslie speakers
          1979 Allen 123-C (MOS1) digital computer organ

Comment

I found the links to the earlier restoration I mentioned earlier:

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...Wurlitzer+4602

http://www.organforum.com/forums/sho...wurlitzer+4602

(PM also sent)

Comment

The tube amp resto wouldn't bother me as I have built two from scratch. Realy quit simple compared to SS stuff. One hand for you and one for the circuit. Connect test leads, the apply power etc. What would concern me is the mechanics of the reed and blower system.

mike
              If it is Caesar that you worship, then Caesar you shall serve.

Comment

Hmm, I just realized something. Every other 4602 I've seen has been self-contained, with a single 12" speaker built into the cabinet. This one doesn't appear to have that; hence the external tone cabinet. Kind of like the difference between an Allen T15A and T15B. So Casey (and the seller) may be quite right that this is a special, government-issue model.

It does appear to be identical to a standard 4602 otherwise, though.
                Last edited by Bob Pierce; 05-01-2014, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X