This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• audio out on Rodgers Allegiant 677

Have come upon an Allegiant 677, and was wondering how the external four channel setup works. According to other threads on the series, I believe the 677 has 2 internal channels, and four externals, with the option of killing the internals for a larger room installation.

Can someone explain, in simple layman's terms, how one accesses the four external channels, and if there is a limit on how many amps can be used for each discrete channel. In other words, would it be possible/effective to have, say a 2 channel amp coming out of each discrete channel, and two speakers on each amp, for a total of eight speakers? If so, how does that impact the distribution of stops per the channels?

I apologise if this is a mundane or seemingly dumb question. I just can't wrap my head around it.

Many thanks!

Hi,

I don't know if what I write here will sound like it is simple layman terms, but I shall try.

Yes, the organ is setup the way you describe, with 2 internal channels and outputs for 4 channels. However, it is not the way you might think. Basically, the organ audio is done in pairs, and from there one can allocate how tone is sent and where.

To hook up external audio to the organ, one needs to have either a Rodgers cable, or fabricate one, with a 9-pin D-SUB connector. According to Rodgers, the whole setup is designed to work with Rodgers amps like the S-200b (which is 2 channel), and no doubt Rodgers speakers, such as the FR 5.0.

As to what comes out of each audio pair, one can select which stops come out of which pair, including having a stop or stops playing through both external pairs. Now the Left and Right speaker is going to carry pretty much the same sound (I don't think it is actually done in stereo), however it can be panned, for example 30% left and 70% right.This control looks to be a global control, rather than a per stop control.

Further, it should be stated that the internal audio always carries all the audio, and there is no on-off control for the internal audio, other than physically pulling the Db connector inside the organ.

So, if you have followed me so far, you will see that the audio setup is not really designed for maximum separation of tone. My guess is that most of these organs were installed with no external audio (such as to homes and chapels) or to a single pair of external speakers, such as a small church. For larger rooms, they probably just sort of doubled up the audio, say 2 speakers to the front and 2 to the back.

As to voicing parameters, here is a short list, rank level, note level, note tone, note tuning, tremulant speed and depth, valve release, random tuning, voice palette. There are others no doubt I have missed.

The Allegiant series was a good series, but were not designed to directly compete with the Rodgers PDI organs. They were certainly better built than the Insignia, and had a better internal audio system.

Anyways, I hope I have been of a little help here.

AV

Comment

Arie,

Though designed for home or chapel use, is it possible to extend/multiply (double or quadruple) the channels, so that one could end up with, say eight or twelve external speakers, and possibly a subwoofer? And, secondly, is one necessarily tied in to using Rodgers amps and speakers, or could one use commercially available or pro amps/speakers of a different brand? Many thanks! Andy

Comment

Hi,

It's me AGAIN.

Just to say, Rodgers organs are designed with Rodgers approved amps and speakers. Anything else can produce sub-par results. You can mate whatever audio you desire, if you know what you are doing. I hope you don't have an allergy towards using Rodgers amps. and speakers. That said, a lot of Rodgers installs done in the last 10 to 15 years do not have Rodgers audio on them, as at least some dealers preferred using more powerful amplifiers and sometimes bigger speakers.

The latest Rodgers audio is different than previous ones. Now the approved stuff are Crown amps. which utilize balanced line audio, and is said to be more powerful. Also the speakers are different. I don't know if the Allegiant models utilized balanced line or not. The new speakers are of the variety you would need to interface a sub-woofer somehow.

The Allegiant as mentioned only has 4 audio lines out, and they all need to have full range speakers on them - right from 16' pedal tone to Mixtures.

Regarding doubling or quadrupling of speakers, I'm not sure is wise, unless you want the organ to sound like a public address system. The organ is already challenged by having same tone coming through more than one speaker.

Basically, what I am saying, if you are wanting to make this an organic type of installation, spend the money on getting the 4 channels correct. If you want speakers spread out all over the place, it not only gets expensive, but also counter productive.

On top of doing a good audio install, it is also important to have the organ fully voiced. The Allegiant models generally sounded decent right out of the box through internals, but to me the church installs I came across, they never sounded like they could have - because usually they just had 2 channels of external audio and nobody bothered to voice them to the room.

I would suggest if you are going to spend big bucks on audio, you may very well be better off looking for a Rodgers PDI or Trillium organ. They are more designed for churches and have better audio and voicing capabilities.

AV

Comment

Hi Arie -

Many thanks for the informed and helpful information. I am sending you a pm.

Comment

Working...
          X