X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6 pin out to a bass combo amp?

Howdy wonderful Organ folk!

I have a mid-60's Baldwin Model 11 and matching tone cabinet - the problem I have though is that there is no amp for the tone cabinet.

Do you think one could take the 6 pinout cable and wire up a 1/4" cable to the 2 input and single ground wires as defined here, then take it to an amp for my bass guitar?

http://www.captain-foldback.com/Leslie_sub/pinouts.htm

I don't even know if this organ works or not, so I'd like to try and get some motion on it before I start hunting down an amp for the cabinet.

Thanks in advance!

Chris

1) I'd check if the organ actually works. Even if it does, there will be a lot of work to do on it. If the amp has been removed, you'll also have to see what else may be missing. Things like contacts, electrolytic capacitors and probably the AC lead are up for replacement before you do much else.
    2) the page you link to is for Leslie speakers. Your Baldwin almost certainly will not hook up using the same wiring, even if the plugs and sockets are similar.
    3) You'll need the schematics for the organ or be able to to do some visual tracing of the wiring in order to do it the way you're thinking and a bass combo amp isn't going to be the correct type of amp at all. You'll want something with good bass, yes, but also good mids and highs. The frequency range of an organ is far greater than a bass guitar.
    It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
    Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
    Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
    Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

There are specifically designed keyboard amps available fairly cheaply. I suggest you get one of these, if you want to use it longterm.

Best thing to do will be to find the schematics for the organ to find where you can hookup a 1/4" out to. Then you can test it through your bass amp (or other speakers) to see if it at least makes a sound. If you like it and think you'll be keeping it a while, you can search for a keyboard amp while you do the usual maintenance such as electrolytics etc which will almost certainly need doing.

Comment

Looking at the size of the instrument, it's quite possible that it will need two or more channels of amplification. Something else to bear in mind.
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

Working...
        X