• Show
Clear All

• Is this the worst Digital Organ ever? Norwich Organs of the UK

This is what I consider one of the worst sounding Digital Organs ever</P>

</P>

Norwich Organ MP3</P>

Specification</P>

</P>

What do you think of it? Bad or what. What sound files of bad digital organs you have you are willing to share here?</P>

Re: Is this the worst Digital Oran ever? Norwish Organs of the UK

that organ would sound better with some reverb

i'm not a fan of the "british" console design with the high console back.

Comment

I didn't find it sounded much better after throwing on the default
      reverb on the computer here. Reminds me of the 1990 Rodgers at my
      church in terms of sound quality. That's not a good thing.

Comment

Three things. </P>

One, only the donor console may be from Norwich Organs. It says it was converted to a digital spec by Paul Hale.</P>

Two, 'reminds me of the 1990 Rodgers...'. Perhaps it ought to, as it is 1995 vintage. Smaller companies always seem to lag behind the market leaders by a few years when it comes to technology.</P>

Three. Is it the worst digital ever, though? Well it's not good, is it, but I have my doubts about that claim and, in any case, one should only ever make this sort of judgement based on hearing the real instrument, not a compressed mp3 copy of what is more than likely a digitised analogue recording.</P>

Andy G</P>

PS. I'm obviously biased but I quite like this type of console design. Probably because it's what I'm used to seeing!</P>

</P>

</P>
        It's not what you play. It's not how you play. It's the fact that you're playing that counts.

New website now live - www.andrew-gilbert.com

Current instruments: Roland Atelier AT900 Platinum Edition, Yamaha Genos, Yamaha PSR-S970, Kawai K1m
        Retired Organs: Lots! Kawai SR6 x 2, Hammond L122, T402, T500 x 2, X5. Conn Martinique and 652. Gulbransen 2102 Pacemaker. Kimball Temptation.
        Retired Leslies, 147, 145 x 2, 760 x 2, 710, 415 x 2.
        Retired synths: Korg 700, Roland SH1000, Jen Superstringer, Kawai S100F, Kawai S100P, Kawai K1

Comment

If we were to rewind to when early digital organs were first marketed, this would have most likely knocked our socks off.

This sound file from the organ is obviously digitized from cassette and as we know compressed into MP3, however it does illustrate what an organ like this is capable of doing. And, frankly, I applaud that with technology being so limited, it sounds pretty darn good.
          If a church can not afford that pipe-dream, then I would have absolutely no problem seeing this in the loft.

One thing is for sure, it will always sound good to the person who paid the hefty price tag for it. And you can take that to the bank.

Comment

andy, of course I'm looking for a skinner console that is high backed. I just prefer the Americanized version ;)

lol

Comment

Re: Is this the worst Digital Organ ever? Norwich Organs of the UK

But I have played a couple of these in the flesh, and they are still rubbish. The reeds are poor. They are reasonable in the middle registers but in the bottom register they lose the foundation and sound weak and feeble indeed.

Comment

Indeed, this particular species of toaster sounds particularly dreadful - but as many others have already said, with some reverb the quality may be enhanced. </P>

My own electronically sampled instrument, by Wyvern, sounds somewhat lifeless without the reverb dial at least halfway - particularly so with the headphones on, during late-night practice. Otherwise it really is quite excellent.

Having played many examples of excellent electronically sampled organs, I can quite say that the finest I have come across are by Copeman-Hart - we have a three-manual in one of the cathedrals here on the island, and its ability to play much variedrepertoire and sound authentic seems unparalleled (as far as electronic instruments go).

You can take a look at the instrument on the following address:</P>

http://www.copemanhart.co.uk/pages/i...ions/mdina.htm

On the other hand (and slightly off-topic) - if you wish to hear a pipe organ which sounds like a rather dreadful electronic, simply listen to the instrument at Monaco Cathedral - there are recordings available somewhere on the web - truly terrible! (from a personal perspective, of course)

Timothy Guntrip</P>

Comment

Just a quick update - I found the website of the Monaco organ, on which you can download the Vierne Final from Symphony No.1.

http://wakamba.site.voila.fr/orgmc.html

Timothy Guntrip

Comment

I would have instantly assumed that that was just a naff keyboard organ voice.

Comment

QUOTE: "Having played many examples of excellent electronically sampled organs, I can quite say that the finest I have come across are by Copeman-Hart..."</P>

Copeman Hart are indeed generally reckoned to be the "Rolls-Royce" of digital organs - but at a Rolls-Royce price. Other companies such as Phoenix are up there in the same league as regards tonal quality, but at a fraction of the price. C-H organs, however,are not sampled. They use the Musicom system which is additive synthesis (a development of the Bradford System).</P>

So far as I know, Norwich Organs also use Musicom hardware.</P>

The quality of the resulting sounds, however, will of course depend on (a) the skilled earof the voicer and (b) how expert he is at using Musicom (or any other) hard- and software.</P>

Best wishes,
                      Douglas.</P>

Comment

Very interesting information. I have very little knowledge of electronic organs at all, so it is quite fascinating to learn of these methods used in the production of synthetic organ tones.

Indeed, Phoenix organs have an excellent reputation - I have never played one myself, but the samples I have listened to on their website certainly were of a fine quality.

Copeman-Hart really are expensive - I seem to remember the cathedral authorities making a rather large investment in this instrument. However,an electronicorgan was necessary (there is only a single manual pipe organ dating from 1664) as there is no free space for a pipe organ.

Timothy Guntrip

Comment

[quote user="dhm"]

QUOTE: "Having played many examples of excellent electronically sampled organs, I can quite say that the finest I have come across are by Copeman-Hart..."</P>

Copeman Hart are indeed generally reckoned to be the "Rolls-Royce" of digital organs - but at a Rolls-Royce price. Other companies such as Phoenix are up there in the same league as regards tonal quality, but at a fraction of the price. C-H organs, however,are not sampled. They use the Musicom system which is additive synthesis (a development of the Bradford System).</P>

Best wishes,
                          Douglas.</P>

[/quote]</P>

I don't think C-H organs are that impressive. In fact, two installations in England are being replaced by Phoenix organs. As far as I'm concerned, the most realistic digital organ, hands down, is from Marshall and Ogletree. And it is far more expensive that Copeman-Hart. And it is sample based and uses multiuple PCs for the sound engine. Tied for second is Walker Technical, and Artisan. And they are very close to M&amp;O in sound quality.</P>

</P>

Bill</P>

Comment

[quote user="tumult_in_the_praetorium"]Very interesting information. I have very little knowledge of electronic organs at all, so it is quite fascinating to learn of these methods used in the production of synthetic organ tones.

Timothy Guntrip
                            [/quote]</P>

Analog has been abandoned by everyone.</P>

Currently there are three basic methods for generating pipe organ sounds digitally:</P>

1) Sample based</P>

2) Additive Synthesis</P>

3) Physical Modeling</P>

</P>

The only company I know of, that uses Physical Modeling is Viscount and they ONLY use it in their CM-100 expander module. That module is sold in the U.S. by Wicks Pipe Organ Company.</P>

</P>

Bill</P>

</P>

</P>

Comment

Yea, that particuler Norwich is somewhat on the "bad sounding" side, my Rodgers 535 was built in 1995 and is digital but it has a much better sound. The pedal division on that Norwich is poor sounding also, i agree with farmboy, it needs some reverb.</P>

</P>

</P>

Diapason</P>

Comment

Working...
                              X