This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Allen speaker is this?

I've hunted all over the internet on Allen speakers and this one doesn't show up......or at least I couldn't find it. Tweeter is a paper cone style
    Attached Files

Hamman,

According to the schematic Tuscondave provided, it should be an HC-10. Of course, I've never seen one, but it looks like it would fit the description. Is there no identification tag on it?

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

I searched all my MOS-I info and the Allen tech site. I could find nothing with 4 mid range speakers. Even looked in the analog organ manuals.
      It's none of the models shown on the schematics.
      If you have the original paperwork from the church it should be in there unless they were left over from a previous install.

td
      Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

In the original quote from Goulds music in Pasadena, Ca. and on the original purchase receipt, it just states "organ will be supplied with 2 Allen speakers along with 2 additional speakers and 2 separate bass speakers added along with the 100 watt amp to power the separate bass speakers (upgrade option) After studying all the Allen speakers I could find on a Google search I noticed all the Allen speakers with either 12" or 15" woofers are mounted from the outside. My woofers are mounted from the inside. Also the tweeter is a "cone" type with a wide phenolic surround....completely different then Allens of that era...which seemed to be mostly soft dome tweeters...earlier ones look to be horns. I also looked up "Walker" technical and found some that sort of looked the same but not with four midranges and a cone tweeter. There are no markings on this speaker but I do find it odd that they mounted the xover exposed on the front....a seemingly tradition of Allens ways. So I'm thinking Goulds could have just fabricated their own? Which may or may not be better in sound. As far as the previous install....the organ that this Allen 301B replaced was a 1930 Organtron
        I'm just going to repair the woofers and try them. The speakers seem well built and care was taken to seal the cabinet and paint the back, sides, top and bottom with a nice coat of industrial paint.
        Last edited by Hamman; 08-11-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

They are RWT model one. Mfg in 1979.. 3/4" nicely constructed pressboard yet the only access to the woofer is by removing the back which is screwed on and GLUED! Arrrgggh! I tried removing 1 mid range speaker and tried to persuade the back off with a 2"x4" poked through the midrange hole and firmly jabbing, then hammering the back off....no way jose. Its starting to crack the pressboard back.....I think I'm going to have to destroy the back and then just screw plywood back on. :-( The midrange speakers and tweeter are built into a isolation cans....I would figure since its a sealed cabinet that would keep them from interacting physically with the woofers motion

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
            They are RWT model one.
            Great information to have. Are they made by Allen?

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Myorgan, no...they are not Allen made. However I'm starting to hear, after checking around, that Gould used their own speaker manufacture because at the time Allen organ could not keep up and the cost of them shipped cross country....it was cheaper to build here on the west coast. They are well built for being 3/4" particle board. Slotted corners with 1"- 1/4 round corner stiffeners. However I did have to remove one mid range and literally beat the back off with a 2"x4" and small sledge hammer. It destroyed the back but I have already made up some new backs with 3/4" ACX plywood. I had to remove the 3/4" square mounting cleats as well since the glue they used when they attached the back would be too time consuming to remove.
              I did luck out though...or so I think. I had 2 huge Rodgers P32 sub-bass cabinets with 2 each of the 15" woofers I needed. They so happen to be newer Eminence specifically for this type of bass. That will take care of my 4-3 way cabinets and since the 2 bass only cabinets had the same type woofer in them as the 3 way cabinets I took 2 of the bad ones in at OC speaker and for $40 ea. are being repaired. Now I just have to check out the rest of the speaker....midranges and tweeter, on each cabinet before I seal them all up again. They had a R1 or 2 value open bat fiberglass insulation in each of the 4 walls of the cabinets. I'm wondering if I should replace that with at least a R6 value? Also since they were manufactured in 1979 I wonder if I should change the caps in the xovers?
              Wondering too........if I should change thesmall paper cone, phenolic edged tweeters out for some soft dome tweeters?

Comment

Working...
              X