This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baldwin 635 vibrates/buzzes

I have a Baldwin 635 connected to an E2 Tone Cabinet. Recently the speakers have started vibrating/buzzing. It's so distracting it makes the organ completely unusable. Not all of the speakers do this, but maybe half do. I climbed up on a ladder and adjusted the position of one of them which made the buzz go away and I got really excited. Then it came back on a different speaker when a different note was played.

It typically happens with lower notes and not higher ones.

Thanks if anyone can give me some advice, or tell me what other information I could provide that would be helpful.

Did you pull off the grills and look at the speakers to see if the surrounds are still good?

td
    Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Have done so. The problem seems fairly obvious now:

Should I buy some recone kits, or is there a better solution? Does anyone have some suggestions on where to find them?
      Attached Files

Comment

I have a follow-up question. The organ has a six conductor cable leading to the tone cabinet. The conductors are labeled LP / SW1 / SW2 / GND / GT1 / GT2.

Are any of these likely to be a line signal that I could attach to a PA?

Comment

You can find recone kits online, but for that size speaker, it might make more sense to get new speaker(s), unless it's an oddball size or impedance.
          Home organ, same as church's organ - Rodgers 940

Sign on my work toolbox that effectively keeps people away:

DANGER!!! 1,000,000 OHMS!!!

Comment

It's likely that all your cones need to be replaced, all of them being the same age (presumably) and subject to the same environment. You can probably find suitable replacement speakers at MCM Electronics or Parts-Express. Both have good on-liine stores. Just be sure to get speakers that have the same diameter and same mounting dimensions (screw holes, etc., if applicable). Also, if the original speakers have enclosed backs, get new ones of the same type. If they have open backs, get new ones the same way. Match the impedance (probably all are 8 ohms) and be sure the new ones can handle the amp power, which is probably only about 50 watts per channel max. The old woofers probably have foam surrounds. You can safely go with rubber surrounds.

The five signals in the cable you mention are indeed line level signals that could be used to drive any type of amplifier. LP = "low pass" and is the bass content of all the channels mixed together. GT = the Great manual stops. SW = the swell stops. (There are two of each, as you see, with certain stops or certain octaves of some stops in one channel or the other.

If you are thinking of playing the organ through a church's house sound system, please be aware that there are many, many reasons NOT to do this. This is a subject that has been discussed a great deal on this forum. In rare cases, it's been done with some measure of success, but it usually greatly degrades the organ's performance, makes the organ sound worse to the people in the pews, and frustrates the organist no end. So it's a lose-lose-lose proposition in most cases. Poke around here and find some of the old threads where this is discussed.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
              If you are thinking of playing the organ through a church's house sound system, please be aware that there are many, many reasons NOT to do this.
              Thanks for this - that saves me testing it. I'll check out the stores you mentioned.

Comment

I had some more time to work on this today. It looks like only the 4" speakers are damaged. The larger ones are visually fine. So I will start with replacing the small ones and see how it sounds.

On the back of the speaker is written:

A513057623
                8 ohms

The tone cabinet says "25W" where the speakers are connected.

This speaker is listed as 30W on Visaton's website, but 20W on MCM Electronics. Do you think it will be acceptable?
                http://www.visaton.com/en/industrie/...nd/fr10_8.html
                http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-4610

Comment

Those numbers are Baldwin part numbers, but don't mean anything to you since you can't order them from Baldwin any more. They are of course, 8 ohms, and that's a good thing since most speakers you'll see available are 8 ohms. The Baldwin amps are probably the little 25 watt modules, so they're unlikely to put out enough power to damage any decent speakers.

Check Parts-Express and MCM Electronics. you'll probably find a lot of suitable 4" full-range speakers. Don't get a "mid-range" speaker, as these are usually close-backed and have a lower limit of 500 Hz or higher. I believe your Baldwin crosses over to the low pass channel at around 200 hz, so you need a speaker that can go down at least that low. Probably best to get one that claims to go down to 100 Hz or lower, of which there are several.
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

The one I linked says it is a fullrange speaker and has "frequency response 80–20000 Hz". That seems to fit your suggestion.

Comment

That looks perfect. Whether the power handling is 20 or 30 watts, it is plenty good for that application. If the screw holes don't line up perfectly you might have to improvise, but they should be close. Please report your findings!
                      John
                      ----------

Comment

Great!

I'll have to pick these up when I go traveling which won't be until early June. I'll write back then.

Comment

Working...
                        X