This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Allen 301B questions

The power light does not work. Is there a replaceable bulb or do I need to solder a new LED in there?

When I got it, the combination capture action switched by itself. Yesterday I soldered 4 of the proper rechargeable batteries in. I let them charge for a while, and they still changed by themselves, but at a slower frequency. All the preset buttons still functioned. Today, after the organ has been plugged in 24 hours, I turned it on. The stops are still changing, but very infrequently. However, now the presets don't work. What do I need to look for?

Is there a "main" volume button? In a previous post I mentioned the speaker (HC14) connected to the flute / base amp is so soft it can hardly be heard; the speaker to the main amp is fine - and way too loud, even with the expression and crescendo pedals at their lowest settings. Can I lower the overall volume of the organ?

Next question is not as important as more of just wondering; the main amp and the pedal amp have blue capacitors. The flute amp has white ones. Any significant difference? Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8384small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	611352 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF8377small.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	611353

Thanks. I'll post more questions as issues arise.

Arden
    Arden

Hammond/Suzuki A205 Chapel Organ with 971 Leslie
    Howard studio piano
    Yamaha p_105 Digital piano
    Allen 301B with 2 HC-14 speakers

Originally posted by Arden View Post
    Next question is not as important as more of just wondering; the main amp and the pedal amp have blue capacitors. The flute amp has white ones. Any significant difference?
    Arden,

My experience is limited primarily to MOS-2 and later instruments. I'm not sure if the 301B uses the same amplifier as the MOS-2, but I noticed in the one close-up photo you have, the jumper going across the top of the amp between two of the 3 outputs (the RCA connectors). I'm wondering if perhaps you have inadvertently switched the Expression vs. cage input on the amplifier? That may explain the soft sound of one channel and/or lack of expression. Did the labels get switched?

Bottom line, if the amplifiers are the proper ones, there will be no difference between the blue and white capacitors. I wondered that when I got my MOS-2 505B and immediately needed to find 2 amplifiers to replace the missing amplifiers. No problems there at all.

Hope this helps a little until the proper Allen tech show up on your thread.

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

If the pilot light is behind a jewel on the panel it is likely a #313 lamp and is easily replaced. At some point Allen went to an LED.

Make sure the capture power supply is 5 volts with the organ turned on. DM capture can go crazy below 4.5 volts. Remove the red jumper and measure it again. Also check for any AC on the 5 volt output with the organ turned on. Measure the battery terminal with the jumper off.
      The capture memory power supply is plugged into a switched outlet so the batteries will not charge unless the organ is turned on.

Each amp has its own volume control. Check to make sure the expression pedal affects each channel. If not you could have a bad photocell.

td
      Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by tucsondave View Post
        The capture memory power supply is plugged into a switched outlet so the batteries will not charge unless the organ is turned on.

Each amp has its own volume control. Check to make sure the expression pedal affects each channel. If not you could have a bad photocell.

td
        Thanks for your answers to my questions. In the future, I’m going to write them down as they arise and I’ll post a few at one time.

So far, I’ve opened my keyboards for cleaning, removed the power supply for the capture action (and found one of my wires has come loose from a battery), located and removed the burnt out bulb from the “Power On” indicator.
        The swell pedal is responsive, but have not found a “master” volume pot. So one channel is way too soft, and one too loud. Still looking for a solution to that issue.

Thanks for your help and your patience!
        Arden
        Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

Originally posted by Arden View Post
          The swell pedal is responsive, but have not found a “master” volume pot. So one channel is way too soft, and one too loud. Still looking for a solution to that issue.
          Found the solution to the sound levels being different on each channel: the "gain" control on each amp. Turned one down, one up and now the sounds are balanced.

Re-soldered my battery connection; have 5.5 volts with it charging. Letting it charge to see if that takes care of the combination action issues.

Thanks again!!
          Arden
          Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

Make sure the capture power supply is 5 volts with the organ turned on. DM capture can go crazy below 4.5 volts. Remove the red jumper and measure it again. Also check for any AC on the 5 volt output with the organ turned on. Measure the battery terminal with the jumper off.
            The capture memory power supply is plugged into a switched outlet so the batteries will not charge unless the organ is turned on. td
            Ok. I have 5.5 volts on the jumper terminals with the A/C cord plugged in. It's plugged in to a un-switched receptacle on the power supply, so it should be charging all the time. How long should it take to charge the batteries? With the jumper off, and the batteries have been charging most of the day, I only had 4.6v and the DM capture is going crazy, switching every few moments. I'm going to let it charge over night. Four nicad's at 1.2v each is 4.8v +\-. 5.5v doesn't seem like it's enough to charge. An auto with a 12v system needs 13.5-14 to maintain a full charge... If my charging volts are too low, is there a pot in the power supply to up the voltage?

Thanks!
            Arden
            Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

What is the assembly number of the 5 volt supply? (905-xxxx)

You may have to measure each cell. When charged they should read between 1.25 and 1.34 volts.

Also did you check the 5 volt output for AC with the jumper disconnected?

td

Comment

MAybe change to lithium or nickel metal hydride cells. Both are considerably higher than 1.2 vdc.
                Roland Atelier AT-90s, AT-80s, AT-70, 30, and 15. Roland VR-760 combo
                Yamaha S-90, Kurzweil PC-3x, Casio Privia PX-330, Roland E-80, G-70, BK-5, Leslie 760, 820
                Moved on:
                Allen 3MT/Hauptwerk, Technics GA1, Yamaha HX1, AR80, numerous Hammonds, including 2 M's, an L, 2 A-100's, XP-2, XM-1/1c, & an XK-3. Roland Atelier AT-30, 60r, 80, & 20r(2 units), and a slew of Leslies (147, 142, 760, 900, 330).
                Korg Triton Le-61, Casio Privia PX-310 & 110, and Kurzweils: PC-2x, SP-88, Pro-III, K1000

Comment

What is the assembly number of the 5 volt supply? (905-xxxx)

You may have to measure each cell. When charged they should read between 1.25 and 1.34 volts.

Also did you check the 5 volt output for AC with the jumper disconnected?

td
                  Ok. I have the power supply on the bench. The new batteries are NiCad's, rated at 1.2v each.

Voltage with the unit plugged in: 5.9v between terminals marked GND & +5V/UNSW. 5.11v between GND & BAT terminal.
                  It's the highest voltage I've measured so far, it's been on the bench for about 4 hours, plugged in and charging.

There is not a number like you asked about the assembly number. Has a J79 stamped on it, and a handwritten number which I assume is a serial number.
                  Most of the electronics have the J79 or B78 stamps. Is that the date it was assembled?

I don't understand why my capture action is going crazy with the unit plugged in and charging; it's supplying over 5v all the time.
                  Is there something else that I need to check?

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding my issues.
                  Arden
                  Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

Did you measure any AC on the 5 volt output with the battery jumper removed?

td

Comment

Did you measure any AC on the 5 volt output with the battery jumper removed?

td
                      No, zero AC. I tested again. I have 5.10v DC from the PS whether the jumper is on or off.

Zero voltage, AC or DC to the jumper wires when they are disconnected.

The stop tabs are changing at a slower frequency now. Usually about 20 seconds, sometimes almost a minute.

I have a question about the card reader. Can I post it here or should I start a new post?

Thanks,
                      Arden
                      Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

Let's keep all your 301B issues in this thread.
                        -Admin

Allen 965
                        Zuma Group Midi Keyboard Encoder
                        Zuma Group DM Midi Stop Controller
                        Hauptwerk 4.2

Comment

Are the stops changing at random or do the same ones move? Is it on all divisions?
                          If you set all stops off on all divisions and all pistons does that hold in memory?

Pulling the plugs off the DM board and cleaning the edge connectors with a pencil eraser would be a good idea. Do that with the AC cord disconnected from the power.

Be sure all screws are tight on the big capture power supply.

Set every other stop (1, 3, 5, etc) on all divisions on general piston #1.
                          Then set every other even numbered stop (2, 4, 6, etc) on general piston #2

See if both settings can be recalled properly.

Make sure there is no AC voltage measurable on any DC power supply.

td

Comment

Are the stops changing at random or do the same ones move? Is it on all divisions?
                            If you set all stops off on all divisions and all pistons does that hold in memory?

Pulling the plugs off the DM board and cleaning the edge connectors with a pencil eraser would be a good idea. Do that with the AC cord disconnected from the power.

Be sure all screws are tight on the big capture power supply.

Set every other stop (1, 3, 5, etc) on all divisions on general piston #1.
                            Then set every other even numbered stop (2, 4, 6, etc) on general piston #2

See if both settings can be recalled properly.

Make sure there is no AC voltage measurable on any DC power supply.

td
                            The stops seem to be changing as presets. I took a picture, and a few minutes later the same stops were set again.

No AC on backup power supply.

I set a preset to all the stops, and none of the stops. It held for a few minutes, then quit working. Sometimes when I turn it on, none of the presets work. Other times they start changing almost immediately.

A few of them go on, but won't come off. I can hear the solenoids buzzing, but not strong enough to pull the stop back up...

All screws are tight. Cleaned the edge connectors on the DM board.

Still have the same issues with the presets.

The card reader does not work. All the lights are on except the very first one on the left (looking from the front of the organ).

Arden
                            Arden

Howard studio piano

Comment

The card reader lights read (left to right) the 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, 11, and 12 rows of the card, so it would appear that the data in the 9-row is not being read. In a MOS instrument, that row is one of the "clocking" bits and failure to read it would mean that no data would be entered from the card. In an ADC instrument, that row is principally used to determine the pitch register assigned to the stop waveform--I'm not sure, but failure to read that row might mean that the stop would not function, either. (In reality, not all card row positions are read by the card readers, so there would not be lights in the missing positions. MOS cards do not use row 7 or row 11; I think only the 11 and 12 rows are not read on ADC cards.)

David

Comment

Working...
                              X