Forum Top Banner Ad

Collapse

Ebay Classic organs

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Turn Up Allen System 100? (MOS I)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Turn Up Allen System 100? (MOS I)

This has been bothering me for a little while, and really I need to do something about it.

When the Allen System 100 turned up, I made a comment that it could put out quite a lot of volume. Then the man who set it up (who is the company director too) went into the back and turned down the volume. It's always been a little too soft for my liking. As they're based in Buckinghamshire, I don't really want to call them all the way back here just to turn it up, as that'd be a lot of inconvenience for both of us. I'm sure I'm more than capable of doing that myself.

Can someone explain, in really basic terms, how I turn up the volume in the back? It's the very basic, bottom of the range, System 100 MOS I organ. I've never looked in the back, so an explanation of how many dials/trimpots (whatever is used in here) and where they are would be very helpful!

Also, I'll need someone to explain to me how I get the pedals off. It looks very top heavy - it's not going to topple over if the pedals are removed, is it? Also, can I do this on my own?

I turned down a system 200 last week. If you can scoot the organ out from the wall with the pedals off, you can take the back off with two phillips screws. In the bottom are two big power amp chassis, they have a dial from 1 to 10. 10 is louder. The organ I worked on, the back faces the choir so I don't know how to get the pedals off. On my hammond you lift up the organ end to release the pins, and slide out.
    In this case, they had the echo speakers in the back too loud. There is was special relay assmbly on the side to lower the volume of the echo, with a sliding tap resistor. The resistor was set all the way up, so I just slid the slider out to the end . That takes a flat blade screwdriver.
    Note one of these amps was failing, so they had swapped the flute and main for more volume on the main. I don't suppose a 100 will be any younger than a 200. I'm not going to attempt repair, this 200 had been sold and is in process with being replaced with a pipe organ, which I'm helping to wire up.
    city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Thanks Jo, sounds pretty simple - even I can manage that! I'll wait for some advice on the pedals, especially the bit about toppling over as these things do look ridiculously top-heavy and I don't want it falling on me! It's less than a month into the 2 year parts and labour warranty, so I want to be very careful about it. I know that technically they should come out to change the volume as it's under warranty (and they would), but I don't want the hassle just for something so simple.

For home, it does a great job through the internal speakers. It's only a small room that isn't very live (carpeted, full of furniture). For the year in particular, I'm really impressed with the sampled sounds. Quality feel to the manuals too. It'd been in storage for about a year before I bought it, so some of the keys needed the dust drumming out over a few weeks; now all is good! For a church, it just has to be a pipe organ. I was offered a salaried position on a Rodgers (530 IIRC), but turned it down. I'd rather play for free on the limited spec at Redenhall, plus this was 15 miles away whereas Redenhall is only 1! It's great to hear of a new pipe organ going in somewhere, the best of luck with it.

I paid £1,600 for my System 100 from Allen themselves, after keeping an eye out for second hand Allens here for a little while and noting that not many come up. Slightly annoyed at this MDC 42 for £250! Oh, and then about 25 miles away from me, is this System 101GB, with settable presets, for Buy it Now £1,000 or currently 99p! Still, I had to buy one for them to come up! However, mine includes a warranty and hassle-free delivery (FOC), sounds better than that MDC, and hasn't needed any major repairs in the past like that other System 101GB. Still a tad annoyed, I suppose. Settable presets really are handy......

Comment

The pedals simply rest in notches at the ends near the console. Just raise them up at the front about an inch and pull them out. The organ won't fall over.
        The volume controls may not have knobs on them, just the 1/4" shaft protruding from the amplifiers which will be located on the floor of the organ. Might be marked "Gain."

td
        Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Originally posted by JonathanP View Post
          I paid £1,600 for my System 100 from Allen themselves, after keeping an eye out for second hand Allens here for a little while and noting that not many come up. Slightly annoyed at this MDC 42 for £250!

Still, I had to buy one for them to come up! However, mine includes a warranty and hassle-free delivery (FOC), sounds better than that MDC, and hasn't needed any major repairs in the past like that other System 101GB.
          Jonathan,

Do a quick search for MDC on this Forum. You'll find that the MDC organs had fair reviews, at best.I'm sure you get the point.

Set your sights higher. I'm sure something will turn up.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Originally posted by myorgan View Post
            Set your sights higher. I'm sure something will turn up.
            I was looking at an MDC 20 before I purchased my System 100. It was reading the reviews on here that made me pay the extra for the System 100.

I'm definitely extremely happy with my Allen System 100 (which is already purchased and has been here for nearly a month!), for the very little I use it. Just a little annoyed that the model up, with the addition of settable pistons (and I believe a moving piston stop-action), came up for sale for £600 less than I bought my System 100 for and just 25 miles away! But this always happens, and I hope I'm not the only one. It serves my right for looking after I've already bought mine really! :->

I'll be extremely happy once I've turned the volume up. This is basically just my weekend practise organ, I'm barely ever home during the week these days! Seeing as I only play one organ with settable pistons occasionally, I suppose I'm not hard done by going without them at home.

Comment

I done it! :-)

Very straightforward pedal removal. As you all said, it doesn't just topple over by itself, but as I was warned by Allen, it really doesn't take much to push it over! I could've done with my little finger; it nearly went over, but all is good. Much heavier than a Hammond, and those handles didn't want to come out either...

There's two amps inside, a Main and Flute amp. One gain control on both of them, really simple. Now it's very loud and all the neighbours can hear when the swell is fully open - just how I like it! I've actually had complaints from several neighbours that they couldn't hear me (particularly the elderly lady across the road); this is good! Luckily, my neighbours all seem to love organ music (apart from the one young family, who easily drown me out with their cars and bikes).

I may end up calling Allen back afterall, as I see from that System 100 on eBay in Thetford that I can get a headphone output added as a factory extra. That'd come in handy for midnight practise.

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Congratulations.
                My Wurlitzer4500 is so top heavy, I made a steel leg for it for while I've got it out from the wall and am working on it. It needs a lot of work, and the pedals would be right in my path installed. The wood leg was pre-broken when I bought it. Okay cosmeticly, but not structurally sound.
                city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

Working...
                X