X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know what model this is?

http://www.--------/itm/Allen-Organ-...item566ff3283f

It has a 32-note concave straight pedalboard (not sure if full-size), and I believe I see a card reader on the left panel. I cannot read the stop tablets above the 2 manuals.

David

According to the plate in the photo it's a model 305-B, MOS-2.

td

Click image for larger version

Name:	305-sl.gif
Views:	1
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	594716
    Servicing electronic organs since 1969.

Comment

Thanks. (I did not notice there was a 4th photo, and was wondering how you read anything.) If it works, I might be interested in it.

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
        Thanks. (I did not notice there was a 4th photo, and was wondering how you read anything.) If it works, I might be interested in it.
        David,

I have its big brother, the 505B. I think I'd actually prefer the 305B, 705B, or 805B over the 505B. On the 305, 705, and 805 there are Alterables on the Great as well as on the Swell. The only Reed on the Great of the 305 is an English Horn (aka Cor Anglais), and it is voiced so soft on my 505B, there is nothing on the Swell soft enough to accompany it. I have to use the Aeoline card.

That would make a nice little organ for you. I'll be in B'ham in July, so let me know if I can help by looking at it. I know that's a ways off. It would be nice to go with your card generator spreadsheet. Also, I have scans of all the standard cards, so I could send you scans of what you need.

Michael
        Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
        • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
        • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
        • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Well, the description states that the instrument all works, so I put in a bid. It was well below the BIN figure, so we'll see what happens.

David

Comment

I see that somebody got it, and for $499! I hope it was you, David, if you wanted it. As Michael said, nice organ for you to test your cards on. MOS-2 models weren't made over a long period of time, so they are seen less frequently. But Allen really had some things right on that series. The sound of a good MOS-2 installation is so good you wonder how a newer organ could really be any better, and often they aren't!

When I looked at that listing a few days ago, I thought it looked a little worn, and I was not happy to see the pedalboard stored on its magnet end. But for $499 someone got a huge bargain. The MOS-2 main board in there, if working perfectly, ought to sell on ebay for more money than that. There are at least two or three thousand dollars worth of boards in that console.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Only one bidder bid on it, so I'm thinking David won it. B-)

Next question is, will the seller honor the auction as it stands?
              'Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.' --N. Bonaparte

My friends call me Steve, won't you be my friend?
              The cast, in order of appearance:
              Kawai K5, Yamaha PSR-85, Thomas Trianon A-6820, Gulbransen 621-K, Conn 580 T-2, GEM WK1 ST
              Hammond H-112, Ser. #16518, from 8/16/1971
              Oh, and let's don't forget the Jaymar!

Comment

I did win the auction, for $499.99. I have sent a message to the seller asking about possible shipment. I have not yet paid for it, but am prepared to do so once I hear from the seller. Alabama is not all that terribly far away if I have to go personally to get it, but I'm getting up in years (77) and don't really want to deal with that. I do have a young, strong nephew in town I probably could get to help, but he's just hired onto a new job and I don't know how easy it would be to get him free for a couple of days.

Does anyone know of a good shipper I could hire? With such a deal on the instrument I don't have to stint on a shipper.

David

Comment

David,

When I was talking to the guy in Florida from whom I just bought an organ, he told me he uses a company called PlyCon. They are evidently a furniture and household-goods moving company. In order to move individual items at a reasonable cost, they have trucks that make regular routes throughout the country picking up and dropping off stuff. He says they are very good and professional and will do it at a reasonable cost, but it generally takes two or three weeks to get an item from point A to point B because of the way they do it. I don't know how much they are charging for my organ because the seller is paying for it, but I suspect you may have to pay more for the moving than you did for that organ, considering the low price you paid!

Here's the info on PlyCon:

http://www.plycongroup.com/freequote.php
                  John
                  ----------
                  *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

Comment

I have heard back from the seller and he is honoring the transaction. I have just paid for the organ via PayPal and he will pack the instrument for shipment. He'd like to have it picked up Monday, and recommended a shipper he has used (R+L) and sent me their 800 number, so I guess I'll use them. Now I have to figure out where to put it in my home. I'd like to put it in my den, which I can close off from the cats when I'm not there to watch them, but there's an interior door that may be too narrow. If I have to I'll put it in the living room. Anyone know the depth of the console on a 305-B?

David

Comment

Congratulations, David. I have a post forthcoming that John and I have been working on that may give you some things to tinker with once you receive the organ, as well as some good information. Please keep us posted.

Michael
                      • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

I'm thinking an Alesis Microverb would be a good addition to this instrument. Is it hard to connect one?

David

Comment

Harrison Labs would be your source for the little attenuators that need to be in the line when using an Alesis or other modern reverb unit. I understand that using these gadgets will make it work perfectly, no problems with the expression, as you'd have if you simply inserted the Alesis into the audio lines.

I sent you a PM about the dimensions of the console.
                          John
                          ----------

Comment

My Handyman was by Sunday afternoon and we discussed what needs to be done to fit the 305-B into my den. I'll be calling the shipper this morning (Monday) to arrange shipment to my home. I will not be surprised if the shipping costs more than the instrument, but what the heck.

I have transcribed the specifications of my creation, the 8' Reed Organ stop, from the original ADC formulation to a MOS version, but I haven't yet punched the card for it. The waveform graph looks good, though, and a very good match to the ADC one. I don't know if the organ comes with any Tone Cards--the auction did not mention any.

David

Comment

Originally posted by davidecasteel View Post
                              I don't know if the organ comes with any Tone Cards--the auction did not mention any.
                              David,

I've send you a PM.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X