This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gerritfrl. View Post
    I own a ADC 5300 DK! It is a very, very nice organ. Also the large D console is nice too. The sound of these late ADC models x3xx is just awesome, if the voicing is done correctly.
    Gerritfrl,

I was waiting for you to chime in. Welcome back to the Forum! Do you have a stop list for Hamman to peruse? I see 6 speakers, so I'm guessing Allen did split the Great from the Pedal channels. That's a good thing. I've appreciated the sound much more now that I've split them on my 4300.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome back!

Michael
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Hi Michael,

Thanks!! My ADC 5300 has 7 speakers, the Bass speaker is somewhere else in my livingroom, so it can not be seen on the photo.
      I spend quite some time to voice the organ to my taste. With a almost English sounding Swell, with firm tutti reeds (16, 8, 4) etc.
      I do have a stoplist for Hamman, so I will email him the stoplist. But not now, I have to go, work! Choir rehearsal.

I still enjoy the 5300 Allen! It sounds just great!
      I LOVE the Contre-Bombarde 32! When I play the tutti, the Contre-Bombarde 32 is still very present! The whole Tutti sounds like a large Cathedral organ!

Gerrit

Comment

Oh Boy.....it looks like the hornets nest between the young and the old has been tossled abit. The 5300A that was suppose to be coming out of a church is now in limbo.....ugghhh! Seems the first music minister that wanted to get rid of it, in favor of the contemporary music, was replaced with supposedly a more even tempered music minister. Turns out he wants to toss the organ and the robed choir. I guess the older folks are taking a harder stance and are the ones typically "giving" to keep the church alive.....so the drama continues
        As for the 4300A....(that too was relayed to me of possible availability) ... it was initially installed in a government institution yet the person in charge donated it to a church since the govt. wasn't or hadn't used it in years. The church hasn't used it in years....yes you guessed right..praise band. But....now.... it seems that the paper trail has to be reconciled before selling the organ. Its a federal offense to receive what might possibly be considered stolen property. SMH!
        Scouring the internet as well as local organ shops (within 300 miles)...there seems to be a dry spell on ADC's right now....unless I buy from Florida....

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
          Scouring the internet as well as local organ shops (within 300 miles)...there seems to be a dry spell on ADC's right now....unless I buy from Florida....
          Welcome to my world! Best of luck finding something. I'll keep my eyes out.

Michael
          Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
          • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
          • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
          • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Gerrit,
            Thanks for the picture of your Allen. I remember your posts from years ago about sending it to Europe. I'm glad it arrived safely and everything worked well. I'm curious - how long did it take to cross, and, did the Dutch government require you to pay some kind of import duty on it? I see in an old post that you use 1 transformer for the entire organ. You said Allen supplies these transformers with current models as well...is that the case? It would seem more recently that universal switching power supplies are easily available that have a setting for 240V vs 120V. But per haps because Allen makes their own switching power supplies, they wish not to be bothered with the additional complexity of designing them that way. Many consumer electronics supplies these days don't even have a switch. They are auto-sensing.

Comment

Hi circa 1949,

The Allen came safe and well in Holland! that was, I believe 3 years ago. It took 3 weeks to cross. I shipped the organ via Allen Organ Benelux. I am working for Allen Benelux. I do the voicing of all the Allen organs in the Benelux.
              So I had nothing to do with import duty etc. It was on conto of the company.. lucky me!
              Allen Organs use their own switching power supplies for the current models.

I am glad you like the pics of my Allen. It is still a great instrument. If the voicing is done correctly it sounds really awsome!!

Gerrit

Comment

Thanks for the update Gerrit.

Comment

Well both the 5300 prospect and the 4300 went "different directions" so its back to the web I go. Amazing how little inventory there is when you start looking. Well that's unless you want a console with self contained speakers and no divide expression. Is it me or is there a dry spell going on in the used Allen dept.

Comment

Most of the used Allens are sitting in a warehouse in Florida growing mold and becoming (except to the owner) less valuable every day.

Comment

I heard from the San Diego Allen Dealer (Organ Stop) that an ADC-5400 DK that he might have acquired was purchased by Mark Herman of Los Angeles Organ Company (the LA Allen Dealer), so it might still become available. You might inquire of Mark. This may be the very organ you had originally expected to buy. Organ Stop was originally thinking they might acquire the instrument, and I expect the price from LA might be higher than Organ Stop would have offered.

Comment

Funny you should know that toodles...that's exactly what happened. Mark and I could not come to an agreeable price and logistics......at the last minute he wanted me to remove the organ and speakers from the church yet he was going to keep all the "good" speakers. The ones I would've obtained were ones with woofer and midrange issues. $6500.....no thanks. At least OS would have had a tech do a once over and at least give me a 6 month warranty....4500!!. Mark dropped a lot of dough on this organ (wholesale) so he either has another buyer or thinks the specialty in that latter ADC 5300 with drawknobs will sell quickly....I'm venturing to guess he will now ask around $7500-8500 since he will have to remove it and bring it back to his shop. Yet he might get it.....after talking to dozens of organ dealers in the last couple of days its slim pickens out there and very pessimistic attitudes from the dealers about the future of the organ market........what a weird time. I have my sights on a church that wants to possibly get rid of their MDS 55.....towards the end of this year...of course. Weider even yet....you have to keep your poker face on when possible prospects come up....its a dog eat dog world out there!

Oh and also I have a friend that has been keeping tabs on the church where this 5300 is and he was going to suggest to the church that they "*-bay it" since there is so much interest in it.......last I heard, this morning, is that the church was thinking of doing that to draw in more money.....they are drowning in debt from what I have heard. Once again the emails will come out saying the church has decided "to go a new direction" lol

Comment

We've all heard the story about the two art dealers who sold a "valuable" painting back and forth for ever-increasing prices. "We can't stop now," said the one. "Look at how much money we're making!"

A rosy future for the church organ business and ever-increasing prices for 30 year old organs are figments of optimistic dealers' imaginations. Only in their world is an ADC 5300, drawknob or not, worth $3000 to $5000 over what it would fetch on the open market. Let that church you mention put their treasure on eBay and see what happens. It will sell for about $3000 or a little more if the vulture from Florida does not swoop down first and get it for even less.

The only reason used instruments are in slightly shorter supply lately is that a few churches who have not gone clappy-happy are replacing their worn-out organs with what they can afford.

Dang it, I'm starting to sound like circa1949, who makes these points routinely.

Comment

Hamman,

Realistically, the church can probably get more if they sell direct, since dealers can purchase for market value, add "fix up" costs, and resell at market value. So they have to provide a low-ball cost to the dealer to make the deal work. They can get a little more for installation and warranty, but those can cost.

If you know the church, you might contact them directly to see what price might interest them. For you, it might be a really good deal if they did list it on ebay--might not get any bids!

Comment

This just in....I did call the church and talked to the person in charge who told me that they were going to honor the verbal "deal" with Mark. Honorable of them. I did not even try to ask them what it would take for them to sell it to me......seem like I would have been baiting their "church" integrity.

Comment

Too bad they didn't honor their verbal deal with George of Organ Stop.

Comment

Working...
                                X