X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are absolutely right about that!

Comment

There's an Allen ADC-5300 or 5300A on ebay right now at $8,700 "buy it now price". Colonial paint/stain (white & walnut).

Comment

I'm out....just had to spend boo coo bucks on replacing my furnace -A/C- condenser-duct work(s) in my whole house. Not bad since the units dated 1974....when the house was built. But no organs for me this year :'(

Comment

Originally posted by Hamman View Post
          ... no organs for me this year :'(
          Hamman - Where are your priorities ?? Ya don't need AC in So Cal.
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Keeping (too many) old organs alive.
          Allen ADC 2110-T, Rodgers Trio 321B
          Conn 651, 713
          Hammond M-3 w/Leslie 120
          Hammond Solovox
          Mass-Rowe model 96 Carillon

Comment

I'm out....just had to spend boo coo bucks on replacing my furnace -A/C- condenser-duct work(s) in my whole house. Not bad since the units dated 1974....when the house was built. But no organs for me this year :'(
            You're not thinking creatively enough. Get an AC condenser, feed it into the blower system of your new pipe organ, and air condition the house that way! Just think, fun & comfort in the same activity.:devil:

Too bad about the furnace. We went without one about 5 winters ago because everyone wanted to quote us $10k and over to entirely replace our steam system with what they sold. Eventually got it replaced for $2-3k, and works great! That was a cold winter, though.

Michael
            Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
            • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
            • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
            • 11 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 7 Pianos

Comment

Well no cold winters here in So. Cal.....its been summer for about 18 months straight now. Temps today, tomorrow and Friday are going to be near record...again!! It's crazy. The expense of my Fur/AC project was in the asbestos duct removal....you would have thought there was a biological warfare scenario going on in my house at the extent these "professional" people dress to remove it.

On the other hand, all my sources dried up on that 5300 I was tracking......Mark at LA organ doesn't respond to my emails (2 weeks ago).....and the ebay one is too much and too far away

Comment

Well, it's priced better than the ADC-4100 for $13,000 on ebay! To be honest, the 5300 has about the same resources as the 6300, so the ebay price doesn't seem that excessive to me. Plus, you could always make an offer. I've found a couple of moving resources that seem somewhat reasonably priced, though none are cheap.

Comment

Yeah I saw that 4100....ridiculous. Then he listed a MDS for about 4k more. Is it me or are the ADC going back up in price?

Comment

I think they are going up--probably the current available inventory is drying up.

The MDS-35 at $18,900 is way high in my opinion--that's listed by a dealer. I'm surprised that a dealer bothers with ebay where most shoppers are looking for bargains. Organ Stop has an MDS-26 with expander that they are advertising for $12,900 which seems a lot better organ and deal unless you just have to have drawknobs and a 32' Contra Bourdon. We'll see how the market goes!

Comment

Originally posted by toodles View Post
                      unless you just have to have drawknobs and a 32' Contra Bourdon. We'll see how the market goes!
                      Well, I don't have to have either, but I much prefer drawknobs. Having drawknobs (or anything in side jambs) usually means the music rack will be a bit lower than two rows of stop tabs and a bit easier for me to reach. I grew up learning to play on an MDS-80-S. Having all the couplers on drawknobs made that music rack tremendously easier for me to reach when I was 9 years old...

And, I like the challenge of quickly changing stops by hand during certain pieces :P

To each their own though.
                      Allen MOS 1105 (1982)
                      Allen ADC 5000 (1985) w/ MDS Expander II (drawer unit)
                      Henry Reinich Pipe 2m/29ranks (1908)

Comment

"Is it me or are the ADC going back up in price?"
                        Nope, price is determined by what people are actually getting on an open market, not what they are asking.

We go through periodic cycles of deluded sellers asking ridiculous prices. One of the first organs I contacted someone about was a ADC-4100 or 4000, I can't remember which, for 12K, in 2005. When I sent "Peter" (a rather unforgettable name, given what happened next) an email suggesting the organ was probably worth much less, he sent me an expletive filled tirade that remains to this day one of the rudest emails I've ever received from anyone. So, you see, some people were just as deluded ten years ago. That organ haunted various erstwhile classfied listings for a couple more years. Who knows if he ever sold it. It's worth mentioning some contemporaneous ebay prices: $1000 for an ADC-1140 (someone got a bit lucky), $2000 for a few 3 digit ADCs, $5000 for a custom black finish ADC-3160 (highest ebay price ever for an MADC), ADC-5000 for $4000, $12K for a huge 3 manual MDS with 12 speakers including subwoofer (highest price ever for an MDS), a couple ADC-4600 theater organs for...guess what...about $4600 dollars, MDS-10s and MDS-15s for about $3000 (I just missed both of those), $7000 for a MDS-25 with 4 custom cherry finish speaker cabs, all in immaculate condition (highest price ever for a 2 manual MDS). All that BEFORE the economic cliff dropped off in 2008. If ADCs ever actually sell on ebay again, it will obviously be for these prices or less.

People were probably thinking for a while "oh the economy is improving, I can now magically sell my organ for many thousands of dollars now" which is why we saw a slight uptick on ebay organs last summer. Nope. Especially not if a bunch of other reluctant sellers come out of the woodwork while the pool of potential buyers continues to shrink. And it surely has. Compared to 2008, I see more and more home built hauptwerk organs on youtube for one thing. Arguably it's a much better idea: why lock yourself in a potentially unmaintainable older analog organ (MICASKO era Rodgers) or a potentially expensive to maintain used Allen, when you could build your own organ and have much more control over the configuration management, and that also sounds better to boot?

Comment

Hi All,

I boight my ADC 5300 DK (in absolutely great condition, still looks like bran new!) 3 years ago via ebay for € 3.400,00. see the pics of my organ on this thread.
                          The price for the ADC 4100 is far to high. Even € 8.700,00 is in my opinion a bit to high.

Gerrit

Comment

Thanks Gerrit. So translated into dollars, at that time by my rough memory, it would have been about $4000.
                            But the fact you are a European buyer who shipped the organ there reminds me to mention a potential bright spot for sellers here in the US. (and how often does that happen LOL)
                            If more of them could manage to market their organs overseas, they would increase the pool of potential buyers and at least hope to keep prices at 2008 level, rather than see them fall off even further. Allen was obviously the dominant producer in the US in at least the 70s, 80s & 90s: look at how many more of their organs have been on US ebay from that time period. However their solid reputation probably means there are people looking for reasonably priced organs in markets where they were not dominant players who are not as able to find used instruments to bid on or to buy. And in fact if you go back 10 years, one of the only Allen dealers doing a brisk business in used instruments -publicly, on the internet, with Allen's presumed consent - was the one in the United Kingdom. I believe the French dealer also listed used instruments, at a time when it was seemingly prohibited for US dealers to do so. Or when they were strongly dissuaded.

Comment

The $4000 conversion seems low by 10 to 20% from the conversion rate history I find online--depends on the exact conversion date.

As far as pricing trends, don't forget that we had a major recession (worldwide) in the intervening years. I think this severely depressed used organ prices. The availability of used Allens from the 70's thru the 90's is reflective of their age as well as worship trends in the USA.

Transportation is inherently a limitation of sales between continents, in addition to lack of accessible legal protection for the buyer and seller for higher priced items. I've purchase many smaller items (smaller in value and in size) from Great Britain & Australia for shipment to the USA with no problems, but then regular post handles such items easily.

With a used organ, customs clearance can be problematic, in addition to potential export license requirements, and export filings.

Comment

Well my "other" choice/option is available in the first week of May! Funny how you can be dead broke but when "that" organ comes around that little saying just keeps going off in my head...."where there is a will there is a way!" I hope this ADC works out........Myorgan.... it seems to be just like yours.
                                Funny though, the ADC 5300DK is still sitting in the church with no time frame to get it out.......sort of reminds me of banks and foreclosures......if they would've have taken the first offer there wouldn't be such a huge loss on the final sale

Comment

Working...
                                X