X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Allen Organ MOS-2 Reference

Folks,

Just in case someone finds this useful, I've enlisted the assistance of John to create this thread. That way, when we discuss MOS-2 organs, we have something in common to reference. I'm considering doing it for the ADC as well. Just let me know if you find it useful.

Michael

P.S. It's taken so long because tables are difficult to navigate/create with this Forum software. Not all the tags match up well.
    Last edited by myorgan; 02-01-2015, 04:18 PM.
    Way too many organs to list, but I do have 5 Allens:
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC
    • Lowrey Heritage (DSO-1)
    • 9 Pump Organs, 1 Pipe Organ & 6 Pianos

Attached Files
    • MOS-2 Model 505-B / ADC-4300-DK / ADC-5400 / ADC-6000 (Symphony) / ADC-8000DKC

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Photo Card Ass'y Schem Title Description
          R_IMG_9138.jpg MUTEREL N/A N/A Mute Relay Mutes audio at turn-on and turn-off to prevent loud thumps. Operated by a delay circuit located inside the AC distribution box on most organs.
          R_IMG_9127.jpg N/A N/A N/A Terminal Strip As indicated on the strip, this strip distributes +/-12VDC power to the Antiphonal Relays. It also distributes the signal for the rocker tabs on the front of the organ (i.e. Reverb, Vibrato, etc.).
          R_IMG_9128.jpg N/A N/A N/A Card Reader Power Supply This Power Supply provides power for the Card Reader. The adjustment for the Card Reader voltage is on the left-hand side.
          R_IMG_9126.jpg N/A 905-0099 081-1570 +/-15V Power Supply This Power Supply provides DC power for the DAC-3 and DAC-4 boards when used
          R_IMG_9125.jpg N/A 905-0089 081-1551 +/-12V Power Supply This Power Supply provides power for the Antiphonal Relays and audio mutes.
          Attached Files

Comment

Photo Card Ass'y Schem Title Description
            R_IMG_9124.jpg N/A 903-4031 081-9078 AC Distribution Box This box provides AC power to the various components of the organ. Note that there are 3 basic outlets: 1) Switched-Delayed, 2) Switched 12V Power Supply, and 3) 117 V.A.C. Unswitched (to charge the batteries on the DM-3 Capture Action Board).
            R_IMG_9135.jpg N/A N/A N/A Crescendo Pedal Roller Each pin represents a stop that is added when the Crescendo Pedal is engaged. Bending pins away from the diagonal contact strip is a rudimentary way of programming the MOS-2 Crescendo pedal.
            R_IMG_9100.jpg N/A N/A N/A Special Finish Sample Panel This label has the Serial Number of the organ and Special Finish Number (or regular finish number), as well as date of manufacture/approval.
            Attached Files

Comment

Is there one of these for a MOS-1 organ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pipe Milwaukee View Post
                Is there one of these for a MOS-1 organ?
                I don't have an MOS-1 organ, but that may change soon. It's up to my wife.

Michael

P.S. She said, "NO!!!"

Comment

"No" in all caps with three exclamation points means "maybe." If she had really meant "no," she would have said so. What model are you getting?

Comment

I fully expect Michael to go out and find a System 1500 somewhere! Seriously, this is a great resource and he has done the forum a great favor by providing these pics and descriptions. (I only contributed by proof-reading and making minor changes.) Perhaps we will get something like this on the MOS-1 organs, which would be nice since there are so many of them still in use.
                    John
                    ----------
                    *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks! Since I don't have my MOS-2 organ yet (soon--I'll be calling the shipper today) it won't be any help until I need it.

David

Comment

Originally posted by jbird604 View Post
                        Perhaps we will get something like this on the MOS-1 organs, which would be nice since there are so many of them still in use.
                        John,

Are the MOS-1 organs as standardized as the MOS-2? i know they were made for a lot longer period than the MOS-2 were.

Michael

Comment

Since MOS-1 spanned more than a decade, there were numerous iterations of most boards, several different designs for the power supplies, a number of different preset and capture actions, four generations of speakers, three or four different amplifiers, and a great many add-on boards and assemblies to perform certain functions that are built into the MOS-2 main board and peripherals.

So it would be impossible to photograph a single MOS-1 organ that would typify the design or contain all the different parts. That being said, the MOS-1 system remained basically the same throughout, with the five standard boards found in every system. It's just that each of those five boards was revised enough times or came in enough different versions that you'd almost not recognize some of them.

It's too bad the Allen service manual for that series remains under copyright. The original MOS manual contains a pretty good explanation of the functions of the various boards and sub-systems. Perhaps I'll have time soon to sit down and write a paraphrase of that material to aid in understanding of the system without infringing the copyrights. I could also take some pics of the next big MOS I service. We have a single-computer MOS organ in the shop, but it's one of the very first out the door and isn't put together the same as most MOS organs built over the decade.

We'll see what develops. I sure enjoy sharing what I know because it keeps my brain sharp and it preserves some knowledge that needs to be passed on. I am amazed that a lot of techs today have no knowledge or interest in these instruments, which are certainly among the most historically significant organs of all times.
                          John
                          ----------
                          *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread. I had an Allen MOS-603D whose console now drives Hauptwerk via Artisan interface boards. I kept all the power supplies and have some questions about the Capture Power Supply in particular. I know there's a LOT of power involved in these. Does anyone on the list have technical info they can share about the Allen capture action?

Freddie Brabson
                            Knoxville, TN

Comment

Originally posted by KnoxMusicMan View Post
                              I know there's a LOT of power involved in these. Does anyone on the list have technical info they can share about the Allen capture action?
                              Freddie,

First of all, welcome to the Forum. I hope this is the first of many posts and participation for you.

JBird604 who posted and tucsondave are two of the people who can probably help you the best with this information. Of course, you understand your organ is an MOS-1 (not MOS-2), so you're in the wrong thread. That said, however, the guys can probably direct you to the best solution to meet your needs. I know Admin has a MIDI capture action adapter card for an ADC organ, but perhaps he can direct you concerning the MOS-1 capture action.

Hope this helps.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                              X