This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what do you think it's worth??

How much do you think a Rodgers 725 would be??
    Rodgers W5000 --- home (currently at church)
    Rodgers MX200 module --- home (currently at church)
    Kawai UST7 studio piano --- home

Hi,

I would say maybe $725 on a good day. This organ dates back to the late 70s early 80s, and so is over 30 years old.

Not a bad instrument for it's time, but later Rodgers analog organs did sound better.

Any electronic organ always has to pass this test if it is worth more than the minimum - age? (over 25 years old), analog or digital? and does it have MIDI. These questions kind of settle what it is worth, independent of whether they are of musical worth. Other factors which come into play as to how much one can expect to buy/sell an organ is location and condition (both cosmetic as well as playing and operating).

AV

Comment

Originally posted by arie v View Post
      Hi,

I would say maybe $725 on a good day. This organ dates back to the late 70s early 80s, and so is over 30 years old.

Not a bad instrument for it's time, but later Rodgers analog organs did sound better.

Any electronic organ always has to pass this test if it is worth more than the minimum - age? (over 25 years old), analog or digital? and does it have MIDI. These questions kind of settle what it is worth, independent of whether they are of musical worth. Other factors which come into play as to how much one can expect to buy/sell an organ is location and condition (both cosmetic as well as playing and operating).

AV
      Hello and thanks---that is what I was thinking.

The local Rodgers rep priced it to me for $3000.

GH

Comment

Is it the 725 or the 725B: the B would be worth a little more, but I think we're still talking in the range that Arie provided. Of course, a dealer sale with delivery and some type of warranty will be more--as those services do have some value and you can't reasonably expect a dealer to provide them for free.

Comment

A key question for this price is how many electrolytic capacitors have been replaced? How many were tested for capacitance and ESR? What service life capacitors were used as replacements?
          That most of these still work is a testament to the quality of parts Rodgers bought, but In my first close encounter with an Allen MOS organ (a 255) of the type that Admin always brags about never having a problem, one power amp is pretty obviously suffering volume problems. The usual geriatric problems are leaky electrolytic capacitors, or dodgy volume or tone potentiometers.
          Other than the 5xx models that had short life rubber contact keyboards, Rodgers around here never go less than $5000 on craigslist. We have two seminaries in town (Presbyterian, Southern Baptist) and a major organ music school 60 miles away (IU), which may drive the market for AGO compatible practice instruments up in this area. Allen princess pedal analog models can be had for $250 sometimes.
          city Hammond H-182 organ (2 ea),A100,10-82 TC, Wurlitzer 4500, Schober Recital Organ, Steinway 40" console , Sohmer 39" pianos, Ensoniq EPS, ; country Hammond H112

Comment

$725 is about all you'd expect to pay for one of these (or less) when buying as-is-where-is from an individual or from a church needing to get rid of it. But there is a big difference between buying an organ that way and going the dealer or refurbishing tech route.

As a tech who occasionally re-sells a used Rodgers, I'd say the dealer's price is about right, for a DEALER, because he's surely had it thoroughly checked out, repairs made as needed, and will deliver it, perform some kind of voicing in the new home, and give at least a short warranty. I know that I'd have to get that much for an organ like that, even though it's quite old.

When you buy an organ without the intervention of a dealer or tech, you really don't know what you're getting. There could be problems that will cost quite a bit to fix, and you will surely incur a large expense getting it moved unless you can truck it yourself, as some of our members are willing and happy to do. A lot of people will be better off to pay the extra cost of getting an organ through a dealer or tech, while some are willing to take the chances and put forth the extra work to get one much cheaper on their own. I'd like to think that the extra value we add to an organ is well worth the higher price.

Old analog Rodgers organs can in fact be quite decent practice organs or starter organs for small churches. They were built to last a very long time. When cleaned up and when the pots used to tune the lower notes are serviced, one of these should sound and perform just like it did new. The feature set will be puny compared to any new organ -- no capture action or perhaps a rudimentary one, lots of borrowing and unification -- but the look and feel will be deluxe by any standards unless it's been abused or is really worn out.

If you do buy from a dealer, be sure to get his assurance that the organ is fully functional, and see if he will put some kind of warranty on it.
            John
            ----------
            *** Please post your questions about technical service or repair matters ON THE FORUM. Do not send your questions to me or another member by private message. Information shared is for the benefit of the entire organ community, but other folks will not be helped by information we exchange in private messages!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Birds...97551893588434

Comment

Thank you all for your input!

Comment

Working...
              X